Judge my Mod Guide. (But be gentle)

Klyde21

Ye

Why don't you upload it to the Nexus? That way users can endorse it and track it to be updated of any changes you make.

Wait, you can upload pdf files. To the Nexus? :D

I figured there was strict rules about only uploading mods, though to be clear, I didn't read them.

Thanks for the idea! NexusMods home is a much better place for this modlist!

Yes. There's quite a few mod lists on the Nexus. Some won't have a pdf attached but rather a link to a website, YT video or Google Doc or the instructions will be contained in the description tab of the mod page.

As an alternative to a pdf, which can get unwieldy, you could use the Nexus' wiki or even a Github page like Viva New Vegas.

Lastly, you might find that you want to share your own compatibility patches with your users so it's also handy to have a mod page at the Nexus for that reason so they can be hosted and downloaded from there.

Well, I just got told by NexusMods that my file is not a mod, and can't be posted there. I AM allowed to keep it there until they have their own "Guide platform" though

This is intended as "constructive criticism", to help you improve your feedback rate instead of discouraging you. I have not looked beyond the mod description, because frankly there was nothing there for me that didn't scream "amateur". (Nothing wrong with that, everyone starts out there; but not what I want in a "guide author".)

Your "mod description" is your "elevator sales pitch" to your customers. (Use the "Articles" tab or "locked" comments to expand on details beyond the "quick pitch" description.) You need to explain why it is different/superior to others to entice people to look it over in detail; i.e. "to sell it". You haven't sold me on why I should spend any of my limited time on it. I don't "know" you (no "profile background" to establish technical qualifications, nor other "mods"), nor do you have a track record of providing insightful help to others on the forum. So you are essentially an "unknown quality" author competing with every other guide with a track record (measured by endorsements and comments).

Your description instead strongly suggests this is just a "tell me how to improve my LO" pitch, which is not what most people look for in a "guide" (which implies some expertise greater than the average player who already uses mods in other games). We have plenty of well meaning but simplistic "install this, then this guides" which only work fine on their owners system because the "guide author" doesn't understand how systems vary or what lies behind why or how an install can fail. And for a guide to remain effective, it needs to be maintained to incorporate changes as mods change over time. A "one off and forgotten" guide is practically useless after six months. If you aren't bringing something new to the table (like how to get numerous "tricky" mods to work together), why shouldn't someone just use one of those already existing with a track record of recommendations?

If you don't "sell" people on why they should be using your guide, then you are wasting your time and effort. So at the very least, spruce up the mod description.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Well, I just got told by NexusMods that my file is not a mod, and can't be posted there. I AM allowed to keep it there until they have their own "Guide platform" though

That's interesting - I've seen plenty of files on the Nexus that aren't 'mods' as such. Here's an example: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/23962?tab=description

Perhaps they've changed their policy.

This is intended as "constructive criticism", to help you improve your feedback rate instead of discouraging you. I have not looked beyond the mod description, because frankly there was nothing there for me that didn't scream "amateur". (Nothing wrong with that, everyone starts out there; but not what I want in a "guide author".)

Your "mod description" is your "elevator sales pitch" to your customers. (Use the "Articles" tab or "locked" comments to expand on details beyond the "quick pitch" description.) You need to explain why it is different/superior to others to entice people to look it over in detail; i.e. "to sell it". You haven't sold me on why I should spend any of my limited time on it. I don't "know" you (no "profile background" to establish technical qualifications, nor other "mods"), nor do you have a track record of providing insightful help to others on the forum. So you are essentially an "unknown quality" author competing with every other guide with a track record (measured by endorsements and comments).

Your description instead strongly suggests this is just a "tell me how to improve my LO" pitch, which is not what most people look for in a "guide" (which implies some expertise greater than the average player who already uses mods in other games). We have plenty of well meaning but simplistic "install this, then this guides" which only work fine on their owners system because the "guide author" doesn't understand how systems vary or what lies behind why or how an install can fail. And for a guide to remain effective, it needs to be maintained to incorporate changes as mods change over time. A "one off and forgotten" guide is practically useless after six months. If you aren't bringing something new to the table (like how to get numerous "tricky" mods to work together), why shouldn't someone just use one of those already existing with a track record of recommendations?

If you don't "sell" people on why they should be using your guide, then you are wasting your time and effort. So at the very least, spruce up the mod description.

-Dubious-

I totally get that, but at the moment, I don't think my guide offers much that a truly experienced modder couldn't accomplish on their own. That being said, my guide isn't FOR the accomplished modder. Far from it. This is supposed to be a low-mid tier guide for those who don't know what they are doing, and are trying to play New Vegas without too much hassle. I made the guide because many of the ones I have seen, while being VERY LARGE don't actually offer any instructions that I could understand. ULTIMATE mod guide being an example. I tried to expand my knowledge on modding New Vegas by asking people who seemingly knew what they were talking about, but none seemed too eager to help a stranger sending them a private mail . It just bothered me that there was a bunch of non-functional mod guides, and the people who claim to know what they are doing seemingly can't be bothered to answer any questions.

There's so much modding info out there, and I know my friends have a very difficult time differentiating between the working mods, and the old, defunct ones. I made this guide as not only an adventure in learning for myself, but to eventually be a handy guide for people who have ZERO experience with the game.

Perhaps I should include some of this in my elevator pitch!

I will try my best to spruce up my description, and clarify myself a bit more. Thanks muchly!

Definitely include that in your description. That change in focus and detail is a differentiating factor "selling point" you need to emphasize. It brings the "potential customer" expectations closer to alignment with your intention. Then, for those needing more detail on specific mods after following your guide, direct them to additional resources such as one of those well regarded "longer" guides (such as "Viva New Vegas" or the S.T.E.P. "Fear and Loathing") or the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" or "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" articles.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Definitely include that in your description. That change in focus and detail is a differentiating factor "selling point" you need to emphasize. It brings the potential

customer expectations closer to alignment with your intention. Then, for those needing more detail on specific mods after following your guide, direct them to additional resources such as one of those well regarded "longer" guides (such as "Viva New Vegas") or the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" or "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" articles.

-Dubious-

Links! I LIVE on links. Thanks man! I'll check those out, and maybe include the links in the end of my guide for those who want to further their experiences!