Glow maps don't work

nognow

I did search on google. I can't believe I missed it.

But it's missing my main question about TYPES of glow maps. NV's included weapon glow maps are black and white, but I've seen various other permutations.

You can make the part you want to glow any color you want

Glow Map Tutorial for Skyrim

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/63066

When I was doing it, I would make the part I didn't want to glow, Black, and then I'd use whichever other colors for the parts I wanted to glow.

Red, Blue, Green, Yellow etc.

I figured that part out by Experimenting to see if using different colors would work.

Don't forget to name your glow map properly, with a 'g' at the end of it.

IIRC it's like goggles_g.dds

Then you edit the path in the nif to reference the goggles_g.dds

Thanks!

I fckd around with adding full glow maps (as part of a specular workflow with diffuse/normal/glow) to the entire weapon, actually quite interesting results! setting the multiplier to something low like 1.1.

I can't tell if setting values below 1.0 does anything

Thanks!

I fckd around with adding full glow maps (as part of a specular workflow with diffuse/normal/glow) to the entire weapon, actually quite interesting results! setting the multiplier to something low like 1.1.

I can't tell if setting values below 1.0 does anything

Yup, keep the light color, White on the NIF, and just use the different colors in your glow map dds instead, like a lighting gel that goes over stage lights to make them blue, red etc..

It's a good feeling once you get things working and have some success

update 1: setting emissive mult to values under 1.0 DOES work and seems to work inversely (reduces glow maps' colors strength)

similar question: do height maps do anything? there's a slot for them, but I can't see any changes in-game.

does anyone know if height maps are used in FNV?

I never used them, especially for glow textures, I'm not sure what the point would be

Unrelated to glow maps.

Just didn't want to start a new topic for a very similar question.

There's a dedicated texture slot for them but I haven't seen them used

It's named parallax in NV. I thought I answered those questions already.

I had already known that since the slot is called "height/Parallax" in nifskope.

That wasn't my question. I asked why am I not seeing any effects and why is it never used. I haven't seen a single mesh of any kind that uses it.