Skywind is coming to Nexus Mods

SirSalami

If Skywind uses Skyrim's skills trees and perks, I really hope the maker of Ordinator gets it a version for Skywind. Its a mod I can barely Skyrim without, and I would love to use it while wondering morrowind.

I second this with enthusiasm. I could probably list a dozen more wishes while I'm at it. It's easier to wish than to create.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many ignorant people here. I would wager that nearly every commenter who has raised some sort of criticism or another hasn't even bothered to look into the project or pay a visit to their developer website.

I have been following this project closely for almost 3 years and am simply appalled at the lack of respect or frankly the lack of knowledge of the amount of dedication that has been poured into this project.

People complaining about the voice acting - people who most likely have not gone and listened to the various previews of the work, or witnessed first hand the auditioning process, or watched their other developer videos - all over a game which didn't even have voice acting originally :/

People saying it will seem outdated and look bad - the same people who have not poured over hundreds of pages of concept art, in game models and screenshots for the last 2 years.

Ignorance. This is one of the reasons why many of you seem to be just now hearing about this because obviously you were never interested or appreciative enough.

Don't forget your getting it all for free.

I hate to sound rude but do understand this is just the natural response I have to other's rudeness. If you have any criticisms of this project you need to do two things. First, research it more and prepare to be pleasantly surprised. Second, if you still think that way then perhaps volunteer to contribute. They always have something that needs doing.

If you wish to see more visit here: http://tesrenewal.com/

Edited by HankTheYank27

In response to post #36175000. #36288345 is also a reply to the same post.

bben46 wrote:

How the f*** do I just play this I really want too.

How about READ the description, the part where it says

Though there is no release date for Skywind yet,

this is NOT a useable mod yet, but is under development. It is expected to be released in another year or so - don't hold your breath.

Alternatively - you may be able to help them get to release sooner if you are willing to do some work. https://tesrenewal.com/

chief001177 wrote: in a year ? ahaha thats not gonna end well... games in 2017 will look A LOT better than a game that is based on a 2011 game, and they will probably Play smoother and be richer in General too. By then, i dont see any reason why you would give a single f about skywind, unless you loved morrowind and are super nostalgic.

Dude, that's the ENTIRE point of Skywind - its for those of us who loved the game

In response to post #36312900.

HankTheYank27 wrote: So many ignorant people here. I would wager that nearly every commenter who has raised some sort of criticism or another hasn't even bothered to look into the project or pay a visit to their developer website.

I have been following this project closely for almost 3 years and am simply appalled at the lack of respect or frankly the lack of knowledge of the amount of dedication that has been poured into this project.

People complaining about the voice acting - people who most likely have not gone and listened to the various previews of the work, or witnessed first hand the auditioning process, or watched their other developer videos - all over a game which didn't even have voice acting originally :/

People saying it will seem outdated and look bad - the same people who have not poured over hundreds of pages of concept art, in game models and screenshots for the last 2 years.

Ignorance. This is one of the reasons why many of you seem to be just now hearing about this because obviously you were never interested or appreciative enough.

Don't forget your getting it all for free.

I hate to sound rude but do understand this is just the natural response I have to other's rudeness. If you have any criticisms of this project you need to do two things. First, research it more and prepare to be pleasantly surprised. Second, if you still think that way then perhaps volunteer to contribute. They always have something that needs doing.

If you wish to see more visit here: http://tesrenewal.com/

Voice acting is terrible when designing content. Especially when you're adding voices to a game: You need to perfectly match the style of that game to fit in. I mean - think about it. If it's a world with "realistic" characters, any voice would do, right? But that just doesn't work. Skyrim made it even worse by giving every race a unique style. When one argonian gets to talk normally, and another like he just swallowed a lawnmower... it just doesn't sound good.

Voice acting is pretty damn hard. Most of the mods that have new voices actually have pretty good voice acting, even when it doesn't sound "right".

So I completely agree with you: we should have more respect for these developers. (can't say much about the other details, I only know a little about voice acting. I'm sure that's hard work as well, though) Edited by Freindly

In response to post #36170400. #36181060, #36236775, #36276445 are all replies on the same post.

IconicCreations wrote: haha imagine bethesda just decide to release a morrowind hd remake and put all these guys time and efforts over the years to waste, but looking forward to this when it comes.
UhuruNUru wrote: Do you even know how good this is?

Bethesda would be put to shame, because this will kick their butt, have you seen this, it's magnificent modding.
Give me the fans remake over a cash grab, every time.
I know where I will look for excellence (Not Maryland)

However so what, two Morrowind HD remakes, is twice the fun.
I say bring it on, Bethesda, let's see how good you are, or not.
And may the best "MOD" win (hint there for you).

muchProVerySkill wrote: indeed this is beyond anything bethesda can come up with at least for like 10 years from now so dont insult the hard working medium to genius folk who worked so hard for this
ArkuEST wrote: Morroblivion, anyone? haha.

You should never, EVER think that a game that was made for money will be better than a game that was made with a combination of love, a mind boggling amount of hard work, and borderline fanatical devotion.

But yeah, if Bethesda were to win, it would be because they updated the engine. Because in the end, the only things limiting a mod are imagination, and the game's ability to run your imagination.

Though to be fair, Bethesda does work really hard to make their games too (Putting aside from the fact fallout 4 doesn't let you change the gamma settings, which is pretty weird). Edited by CloudQuest

In response to post #36142630. #36181535, #36224620 are all replies on the same post.

didiguns wrote:

I totallee hate it when someone completely blows the dunmer accent. it should really be much more like a cross between ancient gaelic & valley girl.

((edit - btw: so grateful to everyone who put so much into this product - thx!))

UhuruNUru wrote: No there is no should be, its never been the same in two games, mostly it's just text.
Also as a imaginary language, it hardly exists at all, but it's English they speak, not Dunmer.

You can't butcher a dialect, you never hear, in a language, that barely exists, even in it's written form.

No you've made an arbitrary decision that a specific character actor(s) portrayal is the legit one. Probably the first one you heard.

So leave your prejudice outside the game, each one is correct, for that game, it's called artistic interpretation. No right way or wrong way, it's just your preference.
LMax wrote: Cool, I hope they have all the iconic Valley girl sayings this time. Like,..Barf Me Out, Gag me with a spoon. I can totally hear the Dunmer talking like a Vally girl. Like Totally! Just Kidding,... mostly. ;)

*shudders at the thought of dunmer valley girls*

In response to post #36288810.

AraFox wrote:

If Skywind uses Skyrim's skills trees and perks, I really hope the maker of Ordinator gets it a version for Skywind. Its a mod I can barely Skyrim without, and I would love to use it while wondering morrowind.

I second this with enthusiasm. I could probably list a dozen more wishes while I'm at it. It's easier to wish than to create.

Wouldn't it depend on what Skywind changes? I mean, I know that pretty much everything is changing in it. But if the skill trees were to stay the same, wouldn't it be possible that certain mods like Ordinator would be compatible anyway? On that note, I am curious about which mods will be naturally compatible with Skywind.

In response to post #35668982. #35669217, #35669442, #35669712, #35670282, #35671002, #35671772, #35671817, #35672302, #35672427, #35672697, #35674332, #35674357, #35674752, #35676172, #35676512, #35676932, #35681567, #35693087, #35694067, #35694107, #35695267, #35997815, #36034505, #36046400, #36086245, #36117970 are all replies on the same post.

gx240 wrote: Yet another mod that's going to be ruined by terrible amateur voice acting. There are few things that can kill immersion in an otherwise sublime RPG like finding yourself suddenly listening to stilted and overacted lines recorded by some guy in his basement. (And it's even worse when they try to do accents.)

I'm really disappointed because I was looking forward to playing this until now. For the life of me I have never been able to figure out how this happens, but for some reason a lot of modders and mod teams really can't listen to their own voice acting objectively and realize how atrocious it is.
SikSikSikki wrote: It's not easy finding professional voice actors that will work for free. Skywind does still have a certain standard for quality, though, that you seemed to have overlooked. Sure, not every single voice is going to win an award, but most of it sounds pretty damn good regardless.

Besides, it's not like the TESRenewal team woke up one day and thought to themselves "Man, we better make this perfect for gx240", and it's stupid to say this entire thing sucks because of one comparatively small aspect that isn't perfect.
Rhyme17 wrote: ruined huh

guess you couldn't possibly turn off the voices or replace the files with blanks yourself
gx240 wrote: "Besides, it's not like the TESRenewal team woke up one day and thought to themselves "Man, we better make this perfect for gx240"

Wow, SikSikSikki, you sure raised a great point there! I guess no one should ever be allowed to critique any work under any circumstances, because if anyone ever criticizes anything you can say "Hey, they didn't make it just for you."

What a genius you are! You should go write letters to everyone who reviews restaurants and tell them "They didn't create that recipe just for you, therefore you're not allowed to evaluate the quality of the food." You should demand a stop to movie reviews as well. Why don't you go over to IMDB and RottenTomatoes and tell everyone that they shouldn't be allowed to review anything. It'll keep you busy at least.

"It's not easy finding professional voice actors that will work for free."

Obviously. I never said it was.

"Skywind does still have a certain standard for quality, though, that you seemed to have overlooked."

And that is the exact same thing that every modder says right before delivering the aforementioned cringe-inducing experience. Find me a mod creator who says "I have no standard for quality."
Stiubhard wrote: I do know what you mean though...the voice for Patsy the Messenger in the Skyrim Helgen Rebuilt mod is awful...the worst Scottish accent since groundkeeper Willie, and although it is only a small part to kickstart the modit really did detract for me.
Elagabalaus wrote: I understand your point, but still, it's a great goal they set for themselves even with all the limitations set upon them. I bet some of the volunteers even donated some of their own money to see this come to life. At least give them the credit they deserve. You can't s#*! on hard work because of one fault. Anyways, I'm excited for this, looks better than TES:O tbh, lmao.
webyan wrote: Are you volunteering for some great professional voice acting? I never knew that free mods carried the expectation of paid work behind them.

Any kind of voice acting will be an upgrade to Morrowind regardless, all I remember from that game is reading through walls of text. Which you can achieve by muting voice sound.

It would be too much to ask to just wait and see how the product will actually turn out, though, so I completely understand your point...

Bah
beggarmaster2000 wrote: they turned down my offer helping out with audio quality.
reply was under qualified, not serious and demanded personal information
MotionBlurr wrote: same here. Ive been a dj for 10 years and with countless hours behind producing mixes, leveling audio, and mastering.... you think i would have enough experience.
Bleako wrote: You can critique the quality of the voice overs however you want gx240, but you should also have realistic expectations. The Skywind team do not have the necessary funding to record professional-level audio nor do they have a large selection of voice actors to choose from, and this is also the case for the vast majority of other mods out there (even in other games.)

This is a massive project entirely developed by volunteers. They have quality standards for sure, but there's a limit to what they can do, and you should manage your expectations accordingly instead of wasting time saying the obvious. Stick to retail games if you can't enjoy volunteer voice work.
Rioplats wrote: Since they're taking lines from external volunteers, the core team can objectively select and filter out acceptable voice performances. Did you watch the video? The ones they sampled, at least, for the video, have been very decent.
They can always retconn it afterwards if people don't like a certain voice. I'm sure they won't take offence.
DragomirTheSlav wrote: Which voices are you referring to, gx240? The strain to get the audio and acting quality as good as possible in a volounteer project is very big. Many of them already do a better job than many Skyrim voice actors. Just listen to Farengar.
DragomirTheSlav wrote: Skyrim voice acting:

Skywind voice acting:

AlixIsAXenomorph wrote: Idk but I thought the one guy that did the dunmer that was shown first was really good.
NumberOneAsian wrote: i LOVE bad voice acting its pretty funny. why do people care so much about immersion?
numeriku wrote: "It's not easy finding professional voice actors that will work for free."

A few from 3DNPCs that had great quality mics and voice acting were turned down.

*shrugs* Their loss.

Regardless, as long as Bethesda does not randomly decide to turn on this project and obliterate it, it will be one of the greatest achievements in modding ever.
Good luck to all those involved!
Torchfield wrote: 'Atrocious'? As though I would let atrocious voice acting through. Is this a direct insult to my team and myself? I'm taking it that way.

Listen Gary (or whoever you are) - our voice acting is of a remarkably high calibre. With very few exceptions, the ones who make it through our gantlet of sound quality checks have superb audio quality, and if there's issues with the delivery it's the lines themselves - not our actors. On that point, if we'd have had the resources I would have loved to have rewritten the lines to sound more 'natural' when spoken. Alas, we were limited in that regard.

I'm really disappointed in you, gx240, because I like showing off our talented team's efforts - seeing them get recognition for their hard work. And it is work. For the life of me, I have never been able to understand how people like you exist, but for some reason it seems a lot of 'fans' can't look at their behavior objectively and see how petulant they are.
LonesomeRenn wrote: I have no idea what you're basing this on, just from the small clips in the video posted here i'd say the voice acting is already better than half of that in skyrim's.
taerkalith wrote: @motionblurr,

Hi, I didnt see your application post but feel free to PM me on tesrenewal with it and we may be able to get you hooked up with SFX if you'd be interested. In terms of music however, we already have a very well known composer within the modding community doing our mastering and helping with mixing individual tracks. In short, the position is already filled for music and it is best if a single individual does that sort of thing due to how mastering works, but don't think we don't appreciate your application. Let me know, take care!
shinji72 wrote: Having listen to the voice acting in the video... really can't understand what you're complaining about. Do you expect to have a team of Leonardo DiCaprio Oscar winners to dub this mod?
danpilaf wrote: first of all, you should listen to these ACTUAL voice samples from Morrowind

and then listen to these PRACTICE lines from Skywind

and THEN tell me how this is "terrible amateur voice acting", how the original Morrowind voice actors NEVER overacted their lines or NEVER had terrible fake accents or NEVER recorded dialogue for 40 different characters in the same game(sarcasm). You just assume a team of people automatically praise each others' voice acting instead of critiquing it and trying to make it actually sound as good/better than the original game. Not to mention Skywind is a multinational group with real, bonafide regional accents, and professional industry experience(including some voice acting).

But I'm sure you love hearing the same boring Arnold Schwarzenegger impression spewing out of every single npc in Skyrim.

cheers
beggarmaster2000 wrote: Dude, you banned me over there. Scary charity organization
jc3893 wrote: For one what voices have been shown have been spot on with the feel of the game couldnt ask for much better from a free game thats a hell of a lot bigger of a project than probly 90 percent of most aaa games that have millions to blow on it i mean im sure there will be some that arent great but your just making assumption bad mouthing a team thats basically dedicating a big part of their lives for our lazy asses that just want to play it. Ive barely dabbled in some programming for games and its downright frustrating i want to learn soo bad but its gonna take a lotta time and dedication im sure the team would be happy to accept constructive criticism but ur just being an ass two completely different things bra.
opsguy27 wrote: How's the vacation in the land of rainbow-crapping unicorns? People put their heart and soul into their mods, and even those mods that deserve critique take countless hours of work. I'm not going to lecture on how you should and shouldn't critique, but know that it's comments like these that turn what could be a potentially breath-taking mod for the community into a private file enjoyed by the author and a select few who understand the sacrifice that goes with modding for others. It's a good thing that those who appreciate the effort outnumber the dismal and negative.
Wolfie71 wrote: lol this gtx

Assuming that people judging him for criticized the voiced, then judging people because he's too insecure. xD
People also just telling their opinion m8.

I think,we should be grateful just because we can play it for free.
just wait for the final product release, they might revise it.
SkywindOfficial wrote: We apologize for this post and some of the negative replies in general. You have to understand that so much effort goes into a project like this, that when people post without being informed it brings out a strong reaction from individuals.

In regards to the OP, you don't have to have the voices on, it will be optional. Problem solved for you and others who feel like it will detrimental to the experience.

@danpilaf the example you linked to was for another project and is two years old, and is not used for the Skywind project.
jonathanshinkle wrote: just turn off voice and read it

@SkywindOfficial
You are a nice official, nice job not going for the throat, along with being neutral and respectful.

Kudos to you.

In response to post #36057730.

bben46 wrote:

will I have to pay for the mod?

If the mod is uploaded to Nexus - it will be FREE. Nexus does not charge for any mod and never has. :cool:

However we do require that you actually have a legal and not a pirated version of the games we support to use the site.

Which means you need both Skyrim AND Morrowind.