Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

It's really pretty simple. Anything that happened *before* the system is implemented would be irrelevant. If your mod's file gets 26K UDLs *after* the system is implemented, you would get full credit for 26K downloads.

As Dark0ne has said several times, there is no intention to make it retroactive in any way.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's been a looooong time since I've been here. Firstly, congrats on the new design, it's fantastic!

And secondly, congrats on this new system. I haven't read the whole thread here, and I have no doubt there will be teething problems, but I salute you for doing this Dark0ne. Back when I was modding Oblivion and Fallout 3, I did it for the passion but many a time I also wished it could help pay the bills, if only a little for when times were tough. My mods represent close to 3 years of work, almost every evening and weekends, and while it's never been about fiscal reward, a method by which people could optionally show their appreciation can only be a good thing.

I don't have time to mod anymore, so the system won't apply to my mods, but if anyone reading appreciates my work from back in the day feel free to PM and I'll send you a bitcoin address to donate to :)

Martigen

I ask only for one thing: some analogue of 'this mod was shite' toggle button separate from endorsement so your downloads would not count for it or would if it is eventually fixed. I got into modding myself simply because good half of mods I've tried over the years didn't work as advertised, didn't work at all, or turned out to be half-assed crap I would be ashamed to publish myself.

Apart from that, PLEASE consider Patreon-like functionality for USERS who could buy reward points directly from nexus (VISA/MC preferably) and use them to slowly "fund" promising WIP or further development of feature complete ones monthly. Slower stream of constant support (or ceasing of it) is a much better incentive to work than a few random piles of cash you get out of the blue. It will also help seeing if there is still demand for your work and double as a feedback mechanism NEXUS social mechanisms like discussions and endorsement lack in depth.

Cheers.

In response to post #56780006.

KatArus wrote: I ask only for one thing: some analogue of 'this mod was shite' toggle button separate from endorsement so your downloads would not count for it or would if it is eventually fixed. I got into modding myself simply because good half of mods I've tried over the years didn't work as advertised, didn't work at all, or turned out to be half-assed crap I would be ashamed to publish myself.

Apart from that, PLEASE consider Patreon-like functionality for USERS who could buy reward points directly from nexus (VISA/MC preferably) and use them to slowly "fund" promising WIP or further development of feature complete ones monthly. Slower stream of constant support (or ceasing of it) is a much better incentive to work than a few random piles of cash you get out of the blue. It will also help seeing if there is still demand for your work and double as a feedback mechanism NEXUS social mechanisms like discussions and endorsement lack in depth.

Cheers.

Totally cannot see the dislike button being abused. Totally.

That idea existed before, it was hugely abused and since scrapped. You have comments already, that should be enough to signal to anyone that a mod is not up to par.

In response to post #56780006. #56782196 is also a reply to the same post.

KatArus wrote: I ask only for one thing: some analogue of 'this mod was shite' toggle button separate from endorsement so your downloads would not count for it or would if it is eventually fixed. I got into modding myself simply because good half of mods I've tried over the years didn't work as advertised, didn't work at all, or turned out to be half-assed crap I would be ashamed to publish myself.

Cheers.
Ethreon wrote: Totally cannot see the dislike button being abused. Totally.

That idea existed before, it was hugely abused and since scrapped. You have comments already, that should be enough to signal to anyone that a mod is not up to par.

I never said anything about making it visible to the others so.... I totally cannot see 'don't count my download' button being abused - everyone decides for themself. Their system, as is, is basically an autoendorse by downloading. I propose an ability to manually unendorse if expectations were not met. Nexus will be flooded with clickbait one-time jocks similar to Creation Club stuff where it merely qualifies as passable but will be valued as much as effort-heavy stuff. I believe this form of self-regulation will alleviate jocks a good bit. Let ppl decide themselves. Someone will think that an esp containing a single FastTravelSpeedMult = x line is a good mod for immersion if speed is measured to be equal to ingame running speed. Some will not. Such 'unendorsement' is taking effort and is invisible to others, so it will happen only if there are real issues for that particular downloader. Edited by KatArus

In response to post #56780006. #56782196, #56792801 are all replies on the same post.

Cheers.

KatArus wrote: I never said anything about making it visible to the others so.... I totally cannot see 'don't count my download' button being abused - everyone decides for themself. Their system, as is, is basically an autoendorse by downloading. I propose an ability to manually unendorse if expectations were not met. Nexus will be flooded with clickbait one-time jocks similar to Creation Club stuff where it merely qualifies as passable but will be valued as much as effort-heavy stuff. I believe this form of self-regulation will alleviate jocks a good bit. Let ppl decide themselves. Someone will think that an esp containing a single FastTravelSpeedMult = x line is a good mod for immersion if speed is measured to be equal to ingame running speed. Some will not. Such 'unendorsement' is taking effort and is invisible to others, so it will happen only if there are real issues for that particular downloader.

What bearing does it have on someone that wants to press it? None. Whether it can be seen or not will end up in the same spot - abuse by trolls or misinformed users.

In response to post #56780006. #56782196, #56792801, #56793281 are all replies on the same post.

Cheers.

KatArus wrote: I never said anything about making it visible to the others so.... I totally cannot see 'don't count my download' button being abused - everyone decides for themself. Their system, as is, is basically an autoendorse by downloading. I propose an ability to manually unendorse if expectations were not met. Nexus will be flooded with clickbait one-time jocks similar to Creation Club stuff where it merely qualifies as passable but will be valued as much as effort-heavy stuff. I believe this form of self-regulation will alleviate jocks a good bit. Let ppl decide themselves. Someone will think that an esp containing a single FastTravelSpeedMult = x line is a good mod for immersion if speed is measured to be equal to ingame running speed. Some will not. Such 'unendorsement' is taking effort and is invisible to others, so it will happen only if there are real issues for that particular downloader.
Ethreon wrote: What bearing does it have on someone that wants to press it? None. Whether it can be seen or not will end up in the same spot - abuse by trolls or misinformed users.

It seems that you have a personal conflict of interest on this matter. My opinion still stands. You've expressed yours too.

It seems that you have a personal conflict of interest on this matter. My opinion still stands. You've expressed yours too.

The feature you're requesting serves no useful purpose whatsoever, and has been proven to be open to blatant abuse. Besides, that is what endorsements and comments pages of mods are for... although it seems you've not done a lot of endorsing yourself in 5/6 years.

To be fair, I've not done a lot of endorsing, either, but it does raise a point that should merit consideration: What about the people who download the mods for the first time and don't like it? Or there is something wrong with it? The craptacular mods then become monetized simply from people trying them out.

However, I believe Dark0ne mentioned something about something (could I be any more clear? Probably! :P ) that would push such mods to the bottom and thus, they really wouldn't be getting much since their download curve would drop off.

So it's been a looooong time since I've been here. Firstly, congrats on the new design, it's fantastic!

Martigen

Would you please, please, please go repeat this exact post in the other two threads that are discussing the new site? lol Otherwise, I may get accused of trolling or brown nosing because I like the new site, too, and have been trying to defend it against a minority tide of bogus posts.

If you want a metric that takes into account the actual user satisfaction with the mods, that would be endorsements, right?. What's the point of adding another thing? As for shouldn't endorsements dictate where donation points go then? Dark0ne has answered to that. In the end the majority of mods have similar endorsement/download/views ratios, what are the chances of a mod's downloads being inflated by users that simply tried it out to the point that the assigned amount of donation points would be "unfair"? Not many, people like a mod, they endorse it, it goes into hot files or higher in the top mods lists, more people see it, more download, etc Edited by FrankFamily