Donation Points system now live for mod authors on Nexus Mods

Dark0ne

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see this in the article or the FAQ. Will we have the ability to donate directly to the DP pool down the road? I'd love to have a Patreonesque subscription that puts cash directly into the monthly bucket.

I didn't see this in the article or the FAQ. Will we have the ability to donate directly to the DP pool down the road? I'd love to have a Patreonesque subscription that puts cash directly into the monthly bucket.

I asked the same question and was told that's something they are presently working towards.

In response to post #60506737.

Fielran wrote:

I like this system in general, and I think it has the potential to boost the community especially as computer parts and modding tools become available in the store. I have three minor suggestions.

1. The default DP permission should perhaps be "contact me." Defaulting to "allowed to use" not only makes it look as though people have given permission when they haven't, it makes it hard to tell if someone has actually given permission deliberately.

2. I'd like to see a permission option whereby people can use assets in for example a conversion, port, or patch and gain DP with permission of the author of the original mod, similar to the asset use option "Other user's assets".

3. It would be useful in some cases to have an option to give a share of DP to another mod rather than a mod author, so that DP given to that mod would be split among authors of that mod. Particularly in the case of large mods with multiple authors, the proportions for authors on the original mod could be changed when someone joins or leaves the team without having to contact everyone who is sharing DP individually to ask them to change their proportions.

Hi Fielran, thanks for the feedback.

1. We've noticed this too and are looking into it.
2+3. We already allow other users to be opted in if you check the page here: https://www.nexusmods.com/modrewards/#mods You can adjust percentages with other mod Nexus users.

In response to post #60506737. #60530802 is also a reply to the same post.

Fielran wrote:

I like this system in general, and I think it has the potential to boost the community especially as computer parts and modding tools become available in the store. I have three minor suggestions.

1. The default DP permission should perhaps be "contact me." Defaulting to "allowed to use" not only makes it look as though people have given permission when they haven't, it makes it hard to tell if someone has actually given permission deliberately.

2. I'd like to see a permission option whereby people can use assets in for example a conversion, port, or patch and gain DP with permission of the author of the original mod, similar to the asset use option "Other user's assets".

3. It would be useful in some cases to have an option to give a share of DP to another mod rather than a mod author, so that DP given to that mod would be split among authors of that mod. Particularly in the case of large mods with multiple authors, the proportions for authors on the original mod could be changed when someone joins or leaves the team without having to contact everyone who is sharing DP individually to ask them to change their proportions.

Pickysaurus wrote: Hi Fielran, thanks for the feedback.

1. We've noticed this too and are looking into it.
2+3. We already allow other users to be opted in if you check the page here: https://www.nexusmods.com/modrewards/#mods You can adjust percentages with other mod Nexus users.

Good call, especially part 1 Fielran.
That was something that caught my eye in the settings too, it is slightly ambiguous and could be taken as giving prior permission to use assets. I regularly receive PM requests for asset usage (although my settings already state no to this) and quite a few recently, so I agree that someone reading that could possibly take it as I've granted permission already.
I'm not against the idea of asset sharing per se, but as I have only become recently aware of this new DP system and not had chance to appreciate it's full potential, impact or implications or even read how DP points would/could be shared when assets are used, I'm not in a position to make an informed decision just yet. So I agree, it would be good to have the settings default to something more erring towards contacting the author first for permission, as at least a baseline position to avoid any potential confusion. I've got some reading ahead. Edited by NMC

In response to post #60519602.

bilago wrote: I'm assuming this change isn't retroactive. My main mod has over 400,000 unique downloads, if only this existed then!

If it was, I'd be planning my retirement :D
I don't like the word 'prospective', smells of hard work... Edited by NMC

I'm assuming this change isn't retroactive. My main mod has over 400,000 unique downloads, if only this existed then!

It would have made little difference. DPs are awarded on the relative percentage of unique downloads for a given month, not on the absolute number. Going back in time, all games had a much higher number of active users, and mods got much higher unique downloads across the board, so your relative percentage (and share of DP) would not necessarily have been greater.

Edited by steve40

In response to post #60519602. #60542232 is also a reply to the same post.

bilago wrote: I'm assuming this change isn't retroactive. My main mod has over 400,000 unique downloads, if only this existed then!
NMC wrote: If it was, I'd be planning my retirement :D
I don't like the word 'prospective', smells of hard work...

I absolutely love hard work. I can just sit and watch it for hours... :D

In response to post #60519602. #60542232, #60553337 are all replies on the same post.

NMC wrote: If it was, I'd be planning my retirement :D
I don't like the word 'prospective', smells of hard work...
Kriemen wrote: I absolutely love hard work. I can just sit and watch it for hours... :D

Haha, I enjoyed that!

But on a serious note, a concern of mine is the licensing for the photo reference I use in my texture mods- they typically indicate that they are only for use in non-profit, non-commercial personal projects. So I have a nagging concern that this may automatically preclude me from opting in, as this may breach those terms... although I'm not sure opting into this DP system and releasing work would or could ever be viewed as 'making a profit' or a 'commercial venture' as these are indirect voluntary donations, not direct payments... but that said, Nexus would provide payment in a way.... the more downloads, the greater the share, and some of it from their own funds....

So I wouldn't want to just take a chance and hope for the best without a second opinion. Having no legal knowledge to speak of, it's a point of uncertainty that would be good to have cleared up and at least give me the option, as those t&c's can be worrisome to the uninitiated and uninformed like myself... I do suspect it depends on the person/website applying those original terms on how strictly they are upheld and applied though, and I doubt anyone would be hunted down over the price of a sandwich, ethical considerations aside for the moment. Edited by NMC