⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Raising Your Kids Family Interaction Overhaul

Markala

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I support this good idea, if in the future will be a mod like this in nexus i will use it for certain. But if I can give a warning, please don't do a too modern family, remember that the game is set in an ice covered land populated by dragons, inspired by a medieval world.

I would love to see this done. Perhaps for voices for new interactions, people could take up a project of re-voicing each adoptable child? They all have the same voice, and this would integrate new stuff with old, as well as making the kids a bit more unique.

• 2 months later...

I think the mod if any would be best if kept basic as a foundation and than updated on. I'd imagine the child faction flag would have to be touched.

Some new mods that seem to have systems that one could learn from or would be great to ask the authors help are as follows

A) Followers go on a trip http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52235/?

B) mixed unit tactics dawnguard edition. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57589/?

C) Vilja http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26393/?

I mention the above because they seem to ad to the AI of the NPCs to do more random things including travel.

1. Some ideas that seem nice are courier delivers miss you type letters

2.Kids actually comment on your gear the words seem to be in the game since mage robes gets kids attention until you adopt them. Also guards do this.

3. kids actually interact with their pets - an idea is maybe make the ai think its another kid roaming like they do in cities and all kids play tag, so i'm thinking fool the ai into thinking the pet is a child. Frodar from Riverwood seem to have a unique pet interaction scrip.

4. kids argue more, this is normally an event as you walk in to seem more real maybe it can be adjusted to happen more often and not only by the door

5. kids actually notice the wife other than just another NPC Vilja mod seems to interact with them but how about if say you married Lydia being she is vanilla follower part of the family package she actually goes out and simulates shopping sort of like this new mod followers go on a trip. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52235/? but a random kid is attached to the wife and follows her to the market.

6. Food consumption at the home by all at home linked with gold you provide to the wife, food can be added by you and gold is required so the wife or husband shops lets face it you as the "hero" should provide or this could be optional. In New Vegas ( other Bathesda game similar in many ways) the companions eat food you leave at the home including grabbing food on display even the animation is in place as you can watch them grab the food off of the table and begin to eat or drink.

7. Realistic but optional higher kidnap chance lol it is Skyrim and come on you are dragon born you want to rescue people you care for.

8.other optional thing random welcome home surprises like kids and spouse near the door saying welcome back ( would be amazing if tied to the Skyrim Holidays mod including the Birthday feature).

These are really cool ideas!

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking on improving the kids behaviour for some time as its been bugging me. Not sure how much interest there would be. Mainly concentrating on improving the vanilla Hearthfires and the very basic state Bethesda left it in and make some improvements:-

Dog follows kids around aka Frodnar and Stump now theres an idea - should be simple to implement. Fix the dialogue too.

Kids stop being couch potatoes standing in one place all day and actually go and play like other kids - yes

Browse the market stalls possibly with spouse - now there a good idea... should be simple.

Visit the places they talk about having visited but never actually do i.e. the Blue Palace, the Temple in Markarth the Lake at Lakeview - yes

Kids actually talk or at least acknowledge spouse or housecarl - doable, mostly. Getting some appropriate reply is the tricky bit theres nothing that really fits in vanilla dialogue.

Kids have little scenes now and then and possibly arguments - yes

n.b. kids do have a "welcome home! -etc" dialogue its just that its timed to occur after 3 days abscence, timer could be altered possibly. A "we're missing you!" courier letter - now theres a great idea and it would prompt the player to return home otherwise theres no way of knowing when to return...

Kids actually follow you when you move house... now theres an idea... I'm going to look into it. The only problem I can foresee is there are so many follower mods and avoiding conflict with them.

edit: its available here and here

Edited by soupdragon1234

This sounds like a great overhaul! I would be thrilled to be able to interact more with my kids. Having more child voices would also be nice. It's not an issue if you only adopt one girl and one boy, but with the multiple adoption mods you wind up hearing the same questions and exclamations over and over and over again, and all in the same voice!

I really like the ideas posted here.

I may be different, but to me the elder scrolls games always offered the opportunity to live another life in a fantasy world. Going on adventures is sure fun, but that isn't what life is all about. I was excited about Skyrim for the new everyday life activities that it added. However certain things like marriage or having kids is definetly lacking.

Now i don't want to turn this into a fantasy world family simulator, but I do want to feel responsible for my character's kids; I do want to feel like I have an influence in the upbringing; and I want to feel that my character's child need them.

First, there should events that trigger every once in a while, and the pc (player character) would get notified by courier of the event. Not doing anything about it might lead to the child hating your character or even might lead to the point that your child is taken away or worse consequences.

an example event:

You get a letter from your spouse telling you that your child has come down with a bad sickness. Wouldn't any loving parent (even if they were 'Dragonborn') drop everything to come home and take care of their ill child. For those of you that have been in a workplace, how many times have you seen people absent because they needed to stay home and care for a sick child, or have to rush off halfway through the work day because they found out that their child had come down with a cold?

(that's all i could think of, but other people might be able to think of more.) This kind of thing makes you feel responsible for your child's well being, and makes you feel needed. It also helps strengthen the parent child bond.

I also would like to be able to train my child to improve his or her skills. I may want to be able to take them on hunting trips, teach them how to use a bow and to surprise their prey; or trips into the city market and teach how to trade. I may want to teach them magic, and watch them practice; I may want to sparr with them to teach them how to fight, etc, etc.

I want to be able to mold my child into being a capable adventurer, and then take them with my spouse on adventure for the whole family.

That's what i would like to see.

• 4 months later...