WIP Carvain's Laboratory: Dwemer Scouter (Hoverbike)

hypno88

Calcelmo is not the only Dwemer expert in Skyrim. Where he chooses to devote his life to preserving the technologies of the past, Arentus Carvain has spent the past two decades trying to build on it and take it into the future

His main source of inspiration is an ancient text, the personal notes of a great Dwemeri inventor and forward thinker (basically the Dwemer version of Leonardo Di Vinci). Arentus has spent most of his adult life developing new innovations based on Dwemer theories, but he has never given the inventions a proper test. He needs somebody to be his Beta tester...

This will be a small series of mods that add new dwemer/magic tech to the game as inventions of the mad scientist Arentus Carvain. Basically in other words, whenever i fancy making something a bit tech orientated, i'll be releasing it as an add on so that i can re-use the lore-blag of "the theories of an ancient dwemer scientist brought to life by a modern scientist" :P

The first mod will be a Dwemer Scouter (screenshot)

Here's a few pages of the dwemer notes (rough, first draft. The third one in particular is especially dodgy)

Im pretty happy with the bike mesh, i'm just starting the daunting task of UV mapping the whole thing. Once i've got a basic texture thats when things get interesting and i'll be trying to get it working in-game. I've got a rough idea of how i believe it will work, but the CK tends to throw brick walls at you when you think the coast is clear. It'll be fun, but dont expect progress to be rapid as i have other commitments on the go at the moment also.

Any feedback, criticisms, comments, suggestions or insights are more than welcome

- Hypno

Edited by hypno88

http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1336/21/1336214742232.jpg

I absolutely must have this mod when it's ready. I'll even Beta-Test and give whatever info you want.

As a project this is amazing! My only complaint is based on the pics it looks a little too cartoony. While a great deal of that can be changed with texturing the base design does not look "steampunk" enough to really fit with the world.

I both agree and disagree. Sure, it's a bit...bland...compared to the ornate workings of the Northern Dwemer, but there's an easy way to justify that - perhaps it came from the Vvardenfell Dwemer instead. Remember, in Morrowind, the animunculi weren't as decorated.

To be honest I never played morrowind so I don't have those styling influences. Besides, according to my "lore" (I use that term loosely) it was built by Arentus in the present, based on the notes left behind by a great Dwemeri thinker, so it doesn't have to be of Dwemer design, just Dwemer technology.

Like Leonardo Di Vinci's designs, nobody knows if it was actually made and used in the past. Arentus has taken theory and painstakingly turned it into reality

- Hypno

• 2 weeks later...