Game randomly doesn't notice some keys being pressed

hucker75

This is weird - keys like forwards, backwards, left, right, shoot always work. But ones like change view sometimes don't respond. Another one I can think of is the key I've bound to take a stimpack, so mid fight I have to hammer it a few times to be sure I'm going to take one before I die. Also sprint, and occasionally clicking to talk to an NPC. Is this a bug? Has anyone else experienced it? Could it be my graphics card is too slow? Why only certain keys?

Edited by hucker75

I have found that various 'action' keys simply don't work if there is some other menu-type item on screen. (like, if you are looking at a container)

That's not the problem I'm having. For example I'm running across the landscape, nothing in sight, no menus, no NPCs, and I press the sprint button. Nothing happens. The 2nd or 3rd press works. I'm in the middle of a fight and need as stimpack urgently. 2 is bound to stimpack (in-game, not a mod). 50% chance it'll work, so I tap it a few times to make sure. Hopefully that doesn't use up 3 of them.

But I do get annoyed at multi-purpose keys. I've ended up with the same key to transfer items and reload the gun. So if I need to reload quickly and am pointing towards a dead NPC, I end up transferring instead! I also have the same key for sprint and assign supply line, so I can't sprint while in workshop mode.

Unresponsive keys evidenced by stimpak no worky is a MASSIVE issue in Fallout 76, especially during intense player vs player combat.

Hit the heal keybind and nothing happens so spam it and after a while 10 stimpaks apply in a row, but then your dead. Gave up with that game.

I get the same key latency in Fallout 4, but only when things are super busy like combat downtown, not chilling in the wilderness.

Demonstrating that a great RPG/Quest platform is not best suited to real time events.

Unresponsive keys evidenced by stimpak no worky is a MASSIVE issue in Fallout 76, especially during intense player vs player combat.

Hit the heal keybind and nothing happens so spam it and after a while 10 stimpaks apply in a row, but then your dead. Gave up with that game.

I get the same key latency in Fallout 4, but only when things are super busy like combat downtown, not chilling in the wilderness.

Demonstrating that a great RPG/Quest platform is not best suited to real time events.

Yeah it sounds like I need a more powerful machine. Or Bethesda need to program better so commands aren't "lossy". If I'm busy driving my car and avoiding something I'm about to crash into, and the passenger tells me something unimportant, I'll ignore it. But that isn't the way Fallout 4 should work. Ignoring the press of a key because it's busy drawing some pixels is daft. Especially when that's an important key required to keep you alive. And it's not even consistant. Why does it never fail to notice I pressed fire or left or right?