VOCAB wars

TheCalliton

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the Apple video announcement of the new iPhone and Apple Watch. The word that came to mind was inculcation (influencing persistently and repeatedly so as to implant or instill an idea, theory, attitude, etc.). It seemed like most of the "new" functions they are promising I have on my phone now.

I was amazed at the Apple Pay application though. Apple can't secure pictures of celebrities but they want me to trust them with my money? Don't think so Bruce.

I also liked how they made special effort to say they would not track Apple Pay to see where people shopped, what they bought, how much they spent, etc., etc. Yeah right, and I have a treed, sea side lot in the mountains of Kansas for sale, cheap.

laodicean - lukewarm or indifferent in religion or politics.

Went grocery shopping this am and saw this sign on a lamp post in the parking lot.

Warning Wallet Scam

Be aware that when packing groceries into your car you may be approached by two young attractive girls in tight, tiny tops. They will wash your windshield while rubbing their breasts against the window and then ask for a ride downtown. During the ride they will strip and perform oral sex on each other, then one will climb into the front seat and perform oral sex on you while the other steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, twice Sunday and again today. BE CAREFUL!

PS Wallets are on sale at the Dollar store for $.99

Edited by Tidus44

Bohemian Rhapsody on the radio in the apparatus and the crew doing their "Wayne's World" impression as we roll. One of the crew has taken the time to look at the song and explains;

I see a little silhouetto of a man
Scaramouch, scaramouch will you do the fandango

scaramouch; a stock character in commedia dell'arte and farce who is a cowardly braggart, easily beaten and frightened.

commedia dell'arte; a form of Italian theatre characterized by masked “types” or characters in improvised performances based on sketches or scenarios.

Bismillah! No we will not let you go - let him go

Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim; In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate, but the depth of meaning or the inspirational message of the phrase cannot be translated into another language. Muslims say this phrase when beginning a significant endeavor, and the phrase is considered to be so magnificent and so concise that all but one chapter of the Qur'an begins with the words Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim.

I have a new source of obscure and archaic words.

Turns out there is a fencing club/group where I live that has a member who is a qualified instructor with Historical European Martial Arts and who can teach German Longsword techniques. I was a bit surprised at the weight of the sword and doing the exercises my shoulders, elbow and wrists are advising me that I may have exercised too long or maybe too hard. The manuals on techniques are translated from manuals from the 1600-1800's and have lots of interesting words. It'll be a while before I am ready to actually spar, but it looks like a lot of fun and is definitely interesting.

indagate: to investigate, research, seek out.

At the hospital this morning restocking the EMS kit on the apparatus and the ER surgeon asks me, "How many perverts does it take to put in a light bulb?" Me. "I don't know." Surgeon, "Just one, but a whole ER crew to remove it.".

Imbroglio; an altercation or complicated situation