• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

oniomania; an uncontrollable desire to buy things.

Proving that such a thing does exist, (or perhaps just that people are stupid), people paid $5.00 to the Cards Against Humanity website for nothing. Cards Against Humanity made $71,145.00 on Black Friday selling nothing. Yes they did donate some of the 71K raised to charities, but over 14000 people paid $5.00 to a website that told them they were buying “nothing”.

• 1 month later...

syzygy ('sizijee')

1. The straight line configuration of 3 celestial bodies (as the sun and earth and moon) in a gravitational system
  2. a conjunction or opposition, especially of the moon with the sun. "the planets were aligned in syzygy"
  3. a pair of connected or corresponding things. "animus and anima represent a supreme pair of opposites, the syzygy

early 17th century: via late Latin from Greek suzugia, from suzugos ‘yoked, paired,’ from sun- ‘with, together’ + the stem of zeugnunai ‘to yoke.’

Most people I tell this to don't believe it's a word!

• 3 weeks later...

Fell through the floor at work, went from the second to the first in a bird flapping swan dive and landed on my side on an old mattress. Went back to the station to finish the shift but HR cited me for presenteeism and sent me off to the hospital. Bruise on my side and shoulder, but nothing to get all in a huff about.

presenteeism; the practice of coming to work despite illness, injury, anxiety, etc.

• 1 month later...

The 3 R's of an election year;

rabble-rouser; a person who stirs up the passions or prejudices of the public, usually for his or her own interests.

rodomontade; boasting or bragging; pretentious, blustering talk.

rupestrine; living or growing on or among rocks.