Is the heat across the NW and feels like it's August Natural or manmade?

Deleted54170User

I live in the tropics. The temps have been lower than normal for this time of year. Is it another Ice Age?

Oh boy another "It's cool where I am, there's no climate change"

It's like saying "The ship can't be sinking, my end just rose 200 feet"

Anyone who denies that the climate is changing is a fool, and should be ignored.

BUT, anyone who espouses the climate hysteria narrative, or claims any sort of knowledge or consensus that climate change is purely anthropocentric is doubly a fool, and should very definetly be ignored, if not vilified.

As should anyone who tries to point the blame of assign a specific cause to a particular weather event.

Again I'll point out that all these headlines have one thing in common "xxxx is the zzzzz weather event ON RECORD" And seeing as we have bugger all records for previous the 3.5billion plus years the Earth has been solid enough to stand on, I'm not sure I trust anyone's claims about the cause.

Not that we shouldn't do our very best to improve the environment, having a stable or only slightly increasing temperature won't be much comfort if our children are sucking in lethal levels of carbon monoxide and other toxins or are waste deep in trash and filth whenever they go to a beach.

But it's places like China and India that are the worst environmental offenders and there ain't much we can do about those folks.

We have seasons due to the earths tilt on its axis, so, that is fairly normal. I don't think humans have influenced that much. :D We HAVE influenced our climate though. It naturally goes thru cycles, hence, ice ages, and such, and we are in another warming cycle at the moment, and our contribution to the atmosphere has accelerated that warming, to a point. Reducing our CO2 output sure wouldn't hurt us, but, I suspect the climate will still warm, regardless of what we do.

What are these "seasons" of which you speak?

Ha ha ha

That is something that sure is not anything like it was when I was younger. I know all us old folk be like, "when I was a kid it snowed four feet and I walked to school, up hill both ways. One time I had to kill a bear with my Trapper Keeper!!" Seriously though, West Virginia doesn't really have those distinct seasons anymore. Not much snow anymore, which I kinda hate. I really love snow. The autumn was always my favorite time. The days warm enough you didn't have to wear a jacket and the nights crisp and the mountains red and gold. Now...it goes from super hot, humid summer then 2 days of fall the the raining winter. If we got snow everytime it rained in the winter here I'd be happy all winter long. I'd make my snow ice cream every day. But alas, it is not longer so.

We are moving to Pittsburgh soon so I am hopeful to get at least a little more snow in the winter. It is almost 5 hours north of me.

Yes, I agree that the planet goes through cycles of hot then ice ages or even mini-ice ages. But those in the past have come more gradually (well, the mini-ice age around the time of the American Revolution was I believe perhaps volcano related? Don't quote me on that. But the big ones come over the course of a geological time scale more than a man time scale. I think because of our pollution and seeming unwillingness to do anything that we have pushed this climate change to be much, much faster and as suoh we are incapable to dealing with the impacts already being felt. Climate change doesn't necessarily mean it will be immediately hotter or colder over long periods at first. The first you get is just extreme weather like hurricanes and flooding. What happened in New Orleans during Katrina and then Houston during.Harvey, I think with all the flooding is both due to the more regular the extreme weather is and the hubris of man doing things like living in what is in effect a giant soup bowl (like New Orleans) and building to capacity and the storms being unable to get through these places and into the ground.

We all need too be moving inland and upwards.

And the heating Earth could very well trigger another ice age. Seems counter intuitive, but there is alot of theories and evidence to support this. Regardless, we are making all this much worse and much faster than it probably would have been. There is also so much stuck in those ice sheets like critters they thought could never like locked into it and survive but have and viruses and diseases that humans have not faced in a long, long time.

Then the wasting of our ground water. I was complaining to my husband when all our neighbors have been watering their grass. I think if you aren't growing a garden or something you shouldn't waste water just for your lawn to look pretty. I recall when I visited Albuquerque, New Mexico they all had rock lawns, no grass allowed, no misting of lawns and just maybe a few ornamental plants that can survive with little water. I think that is a stellar idea. Plus, mowing grass is the damn worst.

Then the whole recycling thing is pretty much a joke at this point. Very little plastics we consume most are recyclable. Go to the store and see all these pre-packaged foods and cities rarely have the ability to deal with that. We used to send all to China but they stopped most of it now. Poor countries and areas still seem to get stuck with rich people's trash. Pretty much any plastic with chemicals are off the list. And these commercials that show all your recyclables being made into like pretty park benches is ridiculous too. Nobody realizes that is the supreme ending pokemon version plastic upgrades to be....and it will be forever cause none of that is recyclable. I'd say most people don't even realize plastics are a fossil fuel based material either.

Humans are incredibly short-sighted. Just look at that condo in Florida that partially collapsed 2 weeks ago. They were warned that the building was messed up, the ocean took even further toll. Still they argued and dithered about the cost of repair (why you want to buy a condo in a big building like that I will never know. Keeping up one's individual single family home is hard enough) and put it off. It caught up to them sadly. But it shows us just how short-sighted we are even when presented with a more immediate danger.

Short sighted is putting it mildly. Makes ya wonder about folks that live below sea level, have been flooded out more times than I can count, yet continue to rebuild after each flood....

The climate IS going to change, no matter what we do at this point, so, we can adapt, or, we can die. Granted, moving all those coastal cities is not a minor undertaking...... but, it's gonna have to happen at some point.

Pfft ... I grew up in semi-rural Queensland, Australia, what is this thing "snow" of which you speak? :huh:

And what re these things "seasons"? Do you mean not quite the "vinyl car seat frying your a$$" time of year? Or the "strewth it's time to get the dinghy out to got to the shops" time of year"? :happy:

I kinda' like the weather change we've had over the past 50+ years. When I was a youngster (don't groan, but I actually did have to walk uphill both ways for school, because my house was on one mountain, and the school was on another about 6Km's away) But I also remember that the weather would be perfect, sunny with a light breeze and clear air all week, while I was in school, and then it would rain, without fail ... every single weekend! Gawd it was annoying.

Pfft ... I grew up in semi-rural Queensland, Australia, what is this thing "snow" of which you speak? :huh:

And what re these things "seasons"? Do you mean not quite the "vinyl car seat frying your a$$" time of year? Or the "strewth it's time to get the dinghy out to got to the shops" time of year"? :happy:

I kinda' like the weather change we've had over the past 50+ years. When I was a youngster (don't groan, but I actually did have to walk uphill both ways for school, because my house was on one mountain, and the school was on another about 6Km's away) But I also remember that the weather would be perfect, sunny with a light breeze and clear air all week, while I was in school, and then it would rain, without fail ... every single weekend! Gawd it was annoying.

Snow: Funky white stuff (partially frozen water) that falls out of the sky instead of rain, during certain periods of the year. Makes driving SO much fun. :D Tends to accumulate as well. Sometimes to pretty significant depths. One of the reasons I have a four wheel drive truck.... I hate shoveling snow.......

Summers here have gotten a LOT hotter... It used to be, we would have a week or so of 90 plus temps toward the end of August, of late, we get 80s and 90s as early as mid June...... I think I preferred the weather we got back in the 60's and 70's...... Though, we did get a LOT more snow then......

Frozen water, like ice? Actually falling from the sky you say??? :huh: Nature never ceases to amaze me! :yes:

Biggest trouble we have when driving is the bloody Kangaroos! The big buggers just love jumping across the path of cars, (like the bastards are playing "chicken" or something) and they do serious damage to cars.

The weather down here has definetly changed, Though in general it seems more like the "seasons" (if you can call them that) have kinda blended into each other, and we only really ever get 3 = Stinking Hot, Wet and stinking hot, then Dry and not quite as hot.

There have been some truly hot days, and some cold nights, but I remember when I was growing up, December through January (our summer) It would crack 40+ Deg. Celsius ( what's that 100+ in "Murican temperature?) for weeks at a time, while getting damn near cyclone level storms once a week.

No 'roos here... but, we do have deer..... and they travel in packs..... If you see one in the road, there is likely three or twelve more off the road, getting ready to cross it. And they are stupid. They see a car coming, and stop. Right in the path of the huge metal object barrelling down on them at 50 plus miles per hour... and yeah, they do some serious damage..... Body shops love 'em. :D

Not quite ice, but close. (if it's actual ice, we call it 'hail', and that crap can HURT! Not to mention what it does to your car...... makes it look more like a golf ball.)

And then there is the freezing rain..... EVERYTHING gets a nice coating of ice..... which is heavy.... so trees tend to drop branches, sometimes, very LARGE branches..... At a previous residence, the place had sat empty for a few years, and the yard was pretty nasty. (3 acres of it.) So, I spent my first summer there, clearing the brush, cleaning up the dead branches everywhere, piles of trash, etc. and mowing the grass down from it's 2 foot height. By fall, the yard looked pretty nice. One ice storm, and it looked like I hadn't done a darn thing.... except the grass was shorter. Still looked like a friggin war zone, with all the trees and branches that fell. I was NOT a happy camper. :D