So long, it's been fun

madmongo

I have always believed that mods should be free. I also have always believed that mod authors should retain control over how their mods are used, and that mod authors should be credited for their work. All of my mods have always had open permissions for use in any playable mod, with the exception that I don't allow them to be placed in collections, because often those who put together collections do not properly credit where they get the work from. I have downloaded and used a lot of content from the Nexus over the years and while I am certainly not the most popular or most prolific mod author, I really want my content to be available for others to use for free. Fair is fair. I get a lot from the Nexus and I feel obligated to give back what I can in the same way.

Unfortunately, the Nexus is instituting new rules which will basically take control of my mods away from me. I would love to make anything of mine available for modders to use, but they are my works and I am not willing to basically give everything to the Nexus and lose complete control over my work. Again, I'm not exactly the most popular modder here so a lot of you may be saying "who are you again?" and probably won't care too much one way or the other.

It's kind of a sad day for me because I really have enjoyed being a part of the FNV community here on the Nexus.

I will continue to mod the game because it's something that I enjoy. But I have removed all of my mods from this site and probably will not be participating much around here from now on.

This is not a protest against the Nexus or their rule changes. I just feel that I have made friends here on the forums, and I want to say how much I have enjoyed this community and I wanted to let them know that I will not be around here any more and that I will miss them.

Thank you for the mods.
Curious, did you get the email and fill out the Mod Deletion Request form?

Just to be clear, is this a separate email with a request form directly in it that I should be expecting? Or is the email you reference the "An update to our file deletion process" email that was sent on the 1st which only linked to the now-locked "news post", which then instructs to go to the "help article" that contains the "template" that then must be used in a manually-sent email to initiate the first step in enacting a full wipe?

I've seen this email with a form mentioned a few times, but I've only ever gotten that brief email that was not much more than a link to that "news post". Just wanted to clear this up to know if I am waiting on a second email to be sent that could be used over the above-outlined steps.

Thank you for the mods.

Curious, did you get the email and fill out the Mod Deletion Request form?

Just to be clear, is this a separate email with a request form directly in it that I should be expecting? Or is the email you reference the "An update to our file deletion process" email that was sent on the 1st which only linked to the now-locked "news post", which then instructs to go to the "help article" that contains the "template" that then must be used in a manually-sent email to initiate the first step in enacting a full wipe?

I've seen this email with a form mentioned a few times, but I've only ever gotten that brief email that was not much more than a link to that "news post". Just wanted to clear this up to know if I am waiting on a second email to be sent that could be used over the above-outlined steps.

I got this:

As a mod author, that means as someone who has uploaded a mod to our site, we’re sending you this email to inform you of an update to our file deletion process.

Please refer to our recent news post for details: https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14538

I believe they're going to be automatically sending out emails to mod authors so they can fill out an official request form to have the Nexus delete ALL your Mods.

Deleting your mods yourself, does NOT delete them, it archives them

I got this:

As a mod author, that means as someone who has uploaded a mod to our site, we’re sending you this email to inform you of an update to our file deletion process.

Please refer to our recent news post for details: https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14538

I believe they're going to be automatically sending out emails to mod authors so they can fill out an official request form to have the Nexus delete ALL your Mods.

Deleting your mods yourself, does NOT delete them, it archives them

Thank you for replying. That is the email I was describing as well. I did not know an additional email is supposed to be automatically sent out with a form to fill out in it to initiate a wipe and thought manually copy>pasting their "template" in an email to them was the only way they would accept a wipe initiation request.

Edited by StinVec

Goodbye mongo, and thanks for sharing your knowledge on the forum. Some of your posts have been of great help to me.

Thank you for replying. That is the email I was describing as well. I did not know an additional email is supposed to be automatically sent out with a form to fill out in it to initiate a wipe and thought manually copy>pasting their "template" in an email to them was the only way they would accept a wipe initiation request.

This is all the steps needed:

1. Fill out the deletion template found at the bottom of this page and send it in an email to [email protected].
  2. Wait for someone from the staff to contact you via a private message on the forum.
  3. Reply to this message with the requested confirmation that you want all mods deleted.
  4. Wait for your mods to be deleted.

No additional communication is required.

I would personally suggest to other users to reconsider deleting their files too hastily. You can always post a notice and direct users to your new mod locations.

However, leaving Nexusmods should have zero effect on your modding. At least that was my experience: my modding hobby wasn't affected one bit by my decision to move to ModDB 3 years ago.

Just make sure to point users (eg. at your profile description) to the new location of your mods.

This is all the steps needed:

1. Fill out the deletion template found at the bottom of this page and send it in an email to [email protected].
  2. Wait for someone from the staff to contact you via a private message on the forum.
  3. Reply to this message with the requested confirmation that you want all mods deleted.
  4. Wait for your mods to be deleted.

No additional communication is required.

In my case there were no steps 2 and 3 because I had disabled the messaging system.

They didn't even ask me to confirm by email.