⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Remaking the "furniture entry points"?

I have a hell of a lot of custom chairs of "secretaries" typing something, security guards staring at monitors. In general, almost all workplaces are sedentary. For some reason, only the guards always sit in the chairs, no matter how uncomfortable these chairs are. All other jobs behave as if they were random. Sometimes npc can sit on an uncomfortable chair, sometimes they stand on it, occasionally kicking their legs.But I don't see a problem here. You just need to position the chairs properly. Do not place them very close to the tables. That's all. Quitting doing interiors out of such nonsense is ridiculous.

But the whole point of this discussion is how to get an NPC to use a chair that is in a confined space!

There is enough space to physically reach the chair (just not the "furniture entry points" which are about 1,5 meters away from the chair.).

So the NPC can reach the chair, but he doesn't even try, because when an NPC is trying to sit in a chair they try to walk to one of the entry points, not to the actual chair!

I want to make the NPC walk to the chair and activate it instead of going to the entry point.

That gives me an idea:

Maybe I could place a marker near the chair.

Then make the NPC walk to that marker and activate the chair (which will trigger the script that will make the npc sit down).

Is something like that possible with the "AI system"?

So that the NPC can do that while "sandboxing in that area"?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a hell of a lot of custom chairs of "secretaries" typing something, security guards staring at monitors. In general, almost all workplaces are sedentary. For some reason, only the guards always sit in the chairs, no matter how uncomfortable these chairs are. All other jobs behave as if they were random. Sometimes npc can sit on an uncomfortable chair, sometimes they stand on it, occasionally kicking their legs.But I don't see a problem here. You just need to position the chairs properly. Do not place them very close to the tables. That's all. Quitting doing interiors out of such nonsense is ridiculous.

But the whole point of this discussion is how to get an NPC to use a chair that is in a confined space!

Â

There is enough space to physically reach the chair (just not the "furniture entry points" which are about 1,5 meters away from the chair.).

So the NPC can reach the chair, but he doesn't even try, because when an NPC is trying to sit in a chair they try to walk to one of the entry points, not to the actual chair!

Â

I want to make the NPC walk to the chair and activate it instead of going to the entry point.

Â

That gives me an idea:

Â

Maybe I could place a marker near the chair.

Then make the NPC walk to that marker and activate the chair (which will trigger the script that will make the npc sit down).

Is something like that possible with the "AI system"?

So that the NPC can do that while "sandboxing in that area"?

I'm not even sure if it only depends on the entry points. I have markers for the "whores" to stand against the walls like a red light district. )) Most of these markers generally go into the wall, otherwise the npc does not interact with the wall and the entry points are often located inside the walls / corners. However, in 25% of such cases, npc still use them, although in 75% they stomp their forehead against the wall. I think it's easier to just accept it as a game convention. Make meshes and plan the environment with this convention in mind. It's not super critical. Also, you can simply make your own animations for furniture based on the entry points of any other animations (like in crazy rugs).

plan the environment with this convention in mind. It's not super critical. Also, you can simply make your own animations for furniture based on the entry points of any other animations (like in crazy rugs).

When trying to recreate some real-life locations, the room sizes are not something that I would like to change ...

And I don't like the "big interiors" feeling of FO4.

I like some of my interiors to be very compact. (like the submarine player home mod that I am currently working on ...)

"you can simply create your own animations"

Yeah, because making custom animations if something that only takes a few hours to learn ...

Sure ...

:laugh:

Ã

plan the environment with this convention in mind. It's not super critical. Also, you can simply make your own animations for furniture based on the entry points of any other animations (like in crazy rugs).

When trying to recreate some real-life locations, the room sizes are not something that I would like to change ...

ÃÂ

And I don't like the "big interiors" feeling of FO4.

ÃÂ

I like some of my interiors to be very compact. (like the submarine player home mod that I am currently working on ...)

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

"you can simply create your own animations"

Yeah, because making custom animations if something that only takes a few hours to learn ...

Sure ...

:laugh:

What to learn? There is a hell of a lot of ready-made animations. The largest of these libraries is mixamo. It's full of sedentary animations. All that is required is to create on their basis your own animation for furniture according to the textbook (there are 2 tutorials and one of them is somewhere in one of the branches below, the second is in LL, if you want to throw both of them here later), or it is even easier to use "crazy rugs ", replacing sex animations with the animations you need. They consist of 3 hkx. Entry, action, exit animations. The only thing that will take a long time to tinker with positioning the actor relative to the furniture, since the blue man does not correspond to the custom hkx. Edited by South8028

So I did some more testing ...

I enabled only one of the entry points of that chair, and positioned the chair so that the entry point was reachable.

73722383-1626111414.png

But when I commanded a follower to sit in that chair they still said that it isn't reachable!

WHAT?!

I did finalize the navmesh, I made sure that I did.

The other chair is perfectly useable by NPCs.

Maybe it is because I edited the BSFurnitureMarkerNode in NifSkope.

I changed the position offset there to X:0 Y:0 Z:0.

The largest of these libraries is mixamo. It's full of sedentary animations. All that is required is to create on their basis your own animation for furniture according to the textbook (there are 2 tutorials and one of them is somewhere in one of the branches below, the second is in LL, if you want to throw both of them here later), or it is even easier to use "crazy rugs ", replacing sex animations with the animations you need. They consist of 3 hkx. Entry, action, exit animations. The only thing that will take a long time to tinker with positioning the actor relative to the furniture, since the blue man does not correspond to the custom hkx.

Could you share links to those tutorials?

Because I just had a look at that "Mixamo" site and it would be great to get some of those animations into FO4!

But I have no idea how to do that.

I have never worked with importing animations into FO4, so some advice would be great!

If I don't really care about the "entry" and "exit" animations for the furniture I could just leave those files empty, right?

So I did some more testing ...

ÃÂ

I enabled only one of the entry points of that chair, and positioned the chair so that the entry point was reachable.

ÃÂ

73722383-1626111414.png

ÃÂ

But when I commanded a follower to sit in that chair they still said that it isn't reachable!

WHAT?!

ÃÂ

I did finalize the navmesh, I made sure that I did.

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

The other chair is perfectly useable by NPCs.

ÃÂ

Maybe it is because I edited the BSFurnitureMarkerNode in NifSkope.

I changed the position offset there to X:0 Y:0 Z:0.

Well, maybe I don't understand something ... But how to physically get to this chair? I understand, of course, that claustraphobia and comfort do not necessarily contradict each other. But, in my opinion, this is overkill. npc has nowhere to play the login animation. He can "appear" on this chair only if he is instructed to work on it for 24 hours when loading the location, but he will not be able to play the animation of the entrance. It is as if this chair is in another room.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/38669?tab=files

https://disk.yandex.ru/i/Whu66QXsFPJMnQ

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/37617

The first link contains ready-made mixamo animations. There is about 1k hkx with motion capture. I think so far these are the highest quality animations for fo4. They are much better than vanilla.

Edited by South8028

The furniture entry markers of that chair can be reached by NPCs, and the chair can be reached.

The are on the navmeshed area and there is enough space to stand behind and next to the chair.

Thanks for those links, I will have a look at that!

I don't want to move the complete animation!

I just want to move the "start point" of the "sitting down" animation.

The "end point" (character sitting in the chair) should stay where it is

Right. My bad. Somehow it got into my head both points needed moving.

Anyway, that would indeed need a new animation. (i wouldn't want to mess with that, as its most likely a motion capture.)

Edited by RoNin1971

"Could you share links to those tutorials?

Because I just had a look at that "Mixamo" site and it would be great to get some of those animations into FO4!
But I have no idea how to do that.

WRT to Adobe's Mixamo motion capture library, give this a look"

Bethesda Mod School: Reuse Animations to Create New Furniture for NPCs

Edited by pepperman35