Saints Row IV: banned

Vindekarr

Why ban games that have R18+ then, is what I meant. It would make sense if you wanted the game to be available to younger users, but banning games that are rated for adults? I've always had a hard time figuring out the reasons for such.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why ban games that have R18+ then, is what I meant. It would make sense if you wanted the game to be available to younger users, but banning games that are rated for adults? I've always had a hard time figuring out the reasons for such.

Because the bottom line is that everyone on that review board is from the Atari/Nintendo era where nearly every game being made was aimed exclusively at a child audience, which led them into this belief that all videogames are intended for children. Adding with the fact that most of the humor described in a game like SR4 is based around raunchy behavior, and it just doesn't help in trying to make the argument that this is a game for adults aside from overt sexual content. Given the number of clueless parents I've encountered wanting to buy SR3 for their 11 year old (explaining the nuances of pony play not withstanding)... This notion of games ultimately being made for child audiences isn't uncommon.

Them being heavily religious and conservative is only a secondary issue.

Agreed, Vagrant. Alas, if you have a look at who's actually on the board in question, they are mostly the sort of "power mums" who would buy a Saint's Row game for a 10 year old. It just defies belief, how stupid do they think people are? Alright, I love Skyrim, I've played over 100 hours of it, does that make me a Potion Of Health addict? nope. Not only do I not have the White Cap and Namira's rot I'd need to make one, just because I use a substance in game, doesn't mean I instantly become an addict in real life.

I am a firm believer that some things should be marketed to an adult audience. We've reached that point with TV in Australia; there are AO intended TV shows, and they are AO because they are designed to appeal to exclusively to adults. WHY a TV show with sex scenes, drug use, violence, and Shia Lebouf's bad acting in it can get away with an M12+ rating and a primetime slot, and a game with equivalent violence, drug use, sex scenes, and so forth, be banned outright despite an R18+ rating, defies logic.

WHY a TV show with sex scenes, drug use, violence, and Shia Lebouf's bad acting in it can get away with an M12+ rating and a primetime slot, and a game with equivalent violence, drug use, sex scenes, and so forth, be banned outright despite an R18+ rating, defies logic.

Probably because part of what "qualifies" them for being on that board is probably related to reading some, mostly bad, research regarding videogames and impulsive behavior. You know, the kinds that are filled with bad science and linking correlation with causation.

That aside, there is still some valid evidence to some of the underlying notions... For example, while playing a game that glorifies drug usage won't turn you into a drug addict, or cause you to decide to do drugs on its own, it can have an effect on how you perceive drug usage and make you more open to experimentation. Not in any significant, overt way mind, but it does lead to a greater acceptance of drug usage. But, the same goes for sex, violence, religion, political beliefs, and just about every other grouping of values people may have. It's basically the same neurological mechanic, Gaming is just easier to point the finger at since the durations of exposure are usually longer than most other media... Unless you consider people who watch MTV all day.

Well, I'd just like to see a little consistency. There's a TV show on at the moment in Australia called Ripper Street which is extremely dark, and contains very graphic violence and sex scenes. Now, it's allowed to go on air in prime time. If a detective show can have boobies, sex scenes, an opiate addicted protagonist, sword fights, a guy getting bashed senseless with a shillelagh, and a horse taking a dump, and only get an M12+ rating, then how come a video game that's legally only saleable to those over 18 and with valid ID be banned for exactly the same reasons? I'm not complaining about the TV show either(I kinda like it TBH) I'm complaining about the inconsistency and double-standards. We need some like PEGI. Pronto.

Well, I'd just like to see a little consistency. There's a TV show on at the moment in Australia called Ripper Street which is extremely dark, and contains very graphic violence and sex scenes. Now, it's allowed to go on air in prime time. If a detective show can have boobies, sex scenes, an opiate addicted protagonist, sword fights, a guy getting bashed senseless with a shillelagh, and a horse taking a dump, and only get an M12+ rating, then how come a video game that's legally only saleable to those over 18 and with valid ID be banned for exactly the same reasons? I'm not complaining about the TV show either(I kinda like it TBH) I'm complaining about the inconsistency and double-standards. We need some like PEGI. Pronto.

It's because certain ill informed elements still associate video games with children.

It's because certain ill informed elements still associate video games with children.

And because past rulings on the mater have justified that videogames are more "damaging" since people play them for several hours in a single sitting, whereas a TV show is only on for 30-50 minutes before changing to something else and is periodically interrupted with commercials.

Unconfirmed rumor circulating that SR 4 is now classified M15+. God knows why.

It's been officially confirmed that SR4 has been unbanned and classified M15+ in Australia. Planned release date remains Augest 23rd.

What we Aussies will lose:

The "rectifier" weapon. No loss really; disgusting thing, wouldn't have used it anyway.

About 20 minutes of campaign gameplay

Access to SR2's Shaundi as a homie.

Several main story missions.

Edited by Vindekarr

The co-op isn't compatible with the international version either which is maybe a blessing, there'll be less chance of being connected to randoms thousands of miles away.

Aye, it's a blessing in disguise for us as well; even with a top of the line net package I'm bringing a PING of 150. Plus there's the added advantage of me actually being able to understand their bloody accent; I was playing with a Scouser Englishmen last week and he may as well have been speaking Martian.