Please boycott Ender's game if you care about equality and the end

Michlo

I find his opinions repugnant, however I believe in freedom of speech and freedom of expression so I won't be joining any internet based pitchfork waving mob.

I'd be with you there, Jim, if it was only his opinions. Unfortunately, it isn't. He uses his celebrity, church connections, power, position on the board of NOM and wealth to further his "cause" and to try effecting actual changes which harm others. That goes too far.

Cheers.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find his opinions repugnant, however I believe in freedom of speech and freedom of expression so I won't be joining any internet based pitchfork waving mob.

I'd be with you there, Jim, if it was only his opinions. Unfortunately, it isn't. He uses his celebrity, church connections, power, position on the board of NOM and wealth to further his "cause" and to try effecting actual changes which harm others. That goes too far.

Cheers.

And yet still he's archived nothing. Silencing bigots is the wrong way to deal with them, take them on, their "arguments" are usually nothing more than hate filled rants. Here in the UK we have a political party called The British National Party, it's led by an unpleasant gentleman who goes by the name of Nick Griffin, they're basically a bunch of Nazis. There's a popular political debate show here called Question Time and all hell broke loose when the BBC announced he would be on the panel, there were calls for him to taken off it and the usual suspects started their petitions and whatnot. Anyway it went ahead and needless to say he started promoting his agenda, the problem he had was other people on the panel took him on, they showed him up for what he was, he came away from the show looking a fool. Up to that point the BNP were gaining support, after that the support ebbed away. One of the cards he used to play was that of the martyr, a poor guy silenced by a liberal establishment and up to that point he was being silenced, the wheels fell of his bandwagon when he was given a voice. The same applies to Card, take him on and people will see him for what he is, silence him and he can play the martyr.

There's also the other people involved in the production to think of, many may have been contracted already and have turned down other work, any boycott punishes everyone from the director to the catering staff.

"The dark secret of homosexual society -- the one that dares not speak its name -- is how many homosexuals first entered into that world through a disturbing seduction or rape or molestation or abuse, and how many of them yearn to get out of the homosexual community and live normally." - Source

This isn't simply gay bashing, this is spreading absolute lies and deceiving people.

I'm ok when people tell me that my "choice" is wrong, I'm ok when they tell me that I'm a sinner, but when they spread lies like this then it becomes a personal thing that I get very angry about. This isn't the first time that I hear that we gay guys are "tempted" into it or "raped" into it. I also got that told straight to my face by a professor in my school.

If he is free to speak lies like this then I'm free to marry my boyfriend if I want to.

And that's not the only horrible thing he said, but it's the main one that got me into this.

I deny this guy any financial support from me and I'll make sure to spread it around.

Thanks, IV000.

Yes, I've seen some rather nasty statements attributed to him and he has been doing it for years, including lumping us in with pederasty, pedophilia and bestiality. There are reports of allegory in many of his stories now too.

I understand where you are coming from, Jim. I'm British myself and I think Brits are quicker to see through and call people on things. Over here, I don't know, it seems there are so many brainwashed sheeple who want these "missions" in their lives and it can actually affect laws as you must have seen.

I do feel for the others involved in the film that it might affect but, much like Marvel and their Superman comic, hopefully it will make the decision makers think more carefully about who they get involved with to make money.

Cheers.

I agree with both sides. The boycott and what Jim is saying. I think that the boycott should be for his connections rather than what he's saying. While I think it's absolutely heinous of what he's saying, I can't interfere with his freedom of speech. As a US citizen, I do think people should say how they feel about things. I don't think that they should oppress others either. However instead of being aggressive toward him about Card's hate speech, I'd rather use that aggression for the momentum of the victories in the court systems. While the decision of DOMA is a victory, it's not all across the board yet in the states. Indiana has criminalized gay marriage. Yes, CRIMINALIZED. I think that the criminalization of it is a bit more important than hate speech. Hopefully I'm making sense, as I'm running on limited sleep from a project I've been working on for almost weeks on end now. But my main point is that I won't boycott him for his speech, rather boycotting him from fueling his hatred into the court systems.

I just think it's so ironic. Just look at history-hate mongers ALWAYS get what they want; they become hate-figures, treated as scum by most reasonable people and with only a small following of die-hards. It doesn't matter what basis their hatred comes from-religion, ideology, or politics, or even what it is they hate-they always end up becoming hated themselves, and I think that's very fitting. Card's not going to do himself any favours with an agenda like this, all he's going to do is mark himself up as a vicious, narrow-minded, hateful little man-history is not on his side, and I doubt he'll be able to keep this up long, even in a country like America.

Hate can only summon more hate. Even if nobody would boycott this, karma would hit him back. It always does.

And pheo3309,

Freedom of speech is not a problem, im ok with any and all forms of different opinions.

But lies and acusations like that which i quoted in my previous post are a crime. Nobody is free to spread lies in order to make someone else or a specific group look bad.

I just think it's so ironic. Just look at history-hate mongers ALWAYS get what they want; they become hate-figures, treated as scum by most reasonable people and with only a small following of die-hards. It doesn't matter what basis their hatred comes from-religion, ideology, or politics, or even what it is they hate-they always end up becoming hated themselves, and I think that's very fitting. Card's not going to do himself any favours with an agenda like this, all he's going to do is mark himself up as a vicious, narrow-minded, hateful little man-history is not on his side, and I doubt he'll be able to keep this up long, even in a country like America.

Unless the pitchfork waving mob grant him victim status.

Hate can only summon more hate. Even if nobody would boycott this, karma would hit him back. It always does.

And pheo3309,

Freedom of speech is not a problem, im ok with any and all forms of different opinions.

But lies and acusations like that which i quoted in my previous post are a crime. Nobody is free to spread lies in order to make someone else or a specific group look bad.

You either have freedom of speech or you don't.

And pheo3309,

You either have freedom of speech or you don't.

I realize that.

I'm just saying that his kind of "freedom of speech" should be punished. Else you will have situations like here in Croatia, one professor spreads those lies, people believe them, the same people threaten me with death because they think I'm an abomination.

A simple lie like that can make a world of a difference and make someone's life horribly difficult and painful. I felt that personally and still am/will until I move away to a better place.

Doing nothing at all is like seeing someone getting bullied next to you and not doing anything about it. Just that it wont happen right now but sometime later in a chain reaction.

Also

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=106422

“As proud longtime supporters of the LGBT community, champions of films ranging from GODS AND MONSTERS to THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER and a Company that is proud to have recognized same-sex unions and domestic partnerships within its employee benefits policies for many years, we obviously do not agree with the personal views of Orson Scott Card and those of the National Organization for Marriage. However, they are completely irrelevant to a discussion of ENDER’S GAME. The simple fact is that neither the underlying book nor the film itself reflect these views in any way, shape or form. On the contrary, the film not only transports viewers to an entertaining and action-filled world, but it does so with positive and inspiring characters who ultimately deliver an ennobling and life-affirming message. Lionsgate will continue its longstanding commitment to the LGBT community by exploring new ways we can support LGBT causes and, as part of this ongoing process, will host a benefit premiere for ENDER’S GAME.”