Is the Collections feature going to have version compatibility management?

solonlost

For beth games, version isn't really overmuch of an issue. Most of the time, they are backward compatible in any event. For changes that DO break things, and the games like to auto-update...... Just not much you can do about that. If a game update breaks a collection, the collection author will need to fix it. Just like it works today.

Now, for collections that may use script extenders, things get more interesting, as a game update, breaks the script extender.... which breaks the collection. (though I would expect that in such cases, the end-user would be required in install the script extender.....)

Trying to use a collection on beta software is just a bad idea, and anyone that tries it, should try not to act surprised when it doesn't work. I don't know of any game company that forces beta updates though. That is generally left to the end user to decide.

Edited by HeyYou

Just to point out, many of you replying here are fairly siloed into the "Bethesda-sphere" of modding.

Games like Bannerlord, Blade and Sorcery and Stardew Valley do tend to break mods when they get a major update.

Or any update at all in the case of bannerlord :D

Edit: NVM

Well, lets see.

Skyrim: 66,200 mods.

Skyrim SE: 37,800 mods.

Fallout 4: 37,800 mods...

Etc. The games, listed in order, the first seven are beth games. So, who is collections going to be aimed at? Looks like primarily beth games to me. How many games does Nexus collections want to support on initial release? Sure, there are a boatload of games here, but, most of them Have fewer than 200 mods.

Maybe the place should be renamed "BethNexus". :D

Well, lets see.

Etc. The games, listed in order, the first seven are beth games. So, who is collections going to be aimed at? Looks like primarily beth games to me. How many games does Nexus collections want to support on initial release? Sure, there are a boatload of games here, but, most of them Have fewer than 200 mods.

The intention is to support anything Vortex works with currently, so that's around 170 games :) Of course as (to avoid the misinformation train) we'll be releasing an open API for other applications to use the system too.

Well, lets see.

The intention is to support anything Vortex works with currently, so that's around 170 games :smile: Of course as (to avoid the misinformation train) we'll be releasing an open API for other applications to use the system too.

Ouch, that's a lotta code. :) Are you folks gonna try and have all that ready to rock on first 'public' release?

Guest deleted34304850

Well, lets see.

The intention is to support anything Vortex works with currently, so that's around 170 games :smile: Of course as (to avoid the misinformation train) we'll be releasing an open API for other applications to use the system too.

this is a very interesting and exciting development.

if you can api this as well - so that a lot of the pipeline is already in place then that's going to be incredible.

The Mods List on Nexus should be Version Specific for Every Game,

so that when searching for mods, the FIRST thing you do is PICK the Game version you have.

Then only mods that work for that version should be listed, including Collections.

As is now I spend time trying to find mods that work with my version of a game,

out of the Ton of mods made since the first release of the game.

Then I have to spend more time testing each mod, to see if it works or not.

And if there are more than a few, I am thrown into a Grind of wack a mod.

I really like to use mods, and appreciate the creators time and talent.

But all Mods should state the Game Version they are made for,

because creators taking time for this little step, saves users boo koo Hours of fiddling,

when they would rather be playing.

AND isn't that what mods are for in the first place ?

The Mods List on Nexus should be Version Specific for Every Game,

so that when searching for mods, the FIRST thing you do is PICK the Game version you have.

Then only mods that work for that version should be listed, including Collections.

As is now I spend time trying to find mods that work with my version of a game,

out of the Ton of mods made since the first release of the game.

Then I have to spend more time testing each mod, to see if it works or not.

And if there are more than a few, I am thrown into a Grind of wack a mod.

I really like to use mods, and appreciate the creators time and talent.

But all Mods should state the Game Version they are made for,

because creators taking time for this little step, saves users boo koo Hours of fiddling,

when they would rather be playing.

AND isn't that what mods are for in the first place ?

Problem becomes, there is no standard for versioning of mods, and a great many that are already here don't have version info at all.

I think what would work though, is mod lists should indeed list the game version they were designed/built on. For some games, that is critical information, for others, not so much.

I don't see a real good way to retroactively implement any kind of versioning standard either...... Many of the mods here, the authors are long gone. The older the game, the more likely the author isn't around. So, I think for collections, it will be up to the tool/list curator, to track that information. Keeping it current will be another kettle of fish. Games update quite a bit in the first year or so after release...... Are curators going to test their collection on new game versions as they come out? Such fun we have for the programmers. :D