A bunch of questions about the rules.

sgreenwald8742

1. Can you upload merged files you did not make? Example: Combining several peoples weapons packs into a single mod.

2. Can you upload fixed versions of mods you did not make? (I fixed an abandoned mod that did not work, not sure if I'm allowed to upload the fixed version or not)

3. How do mods like this https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/17653 fit into the rules? If I package a bunch of peoples mods together and make changes on top of all the mods it's a new mod?

4. If someone has made a mod that adds a feature to a game, are you prevented from uploading a mod that also adds the same feature but with other changes or features?

I'm new to modding and use to the GNU/Free Software space so all these rules about not being allowed to use other peoples work are alien to me.

Edited by sgreenwald8742

1. No.

2. No.

3. Check the "Permissions and Credits" section of that mod and you'll see why it's allowed.

Thanks I did not see the Permissions and Credits tab.

So you can pretty much only upload stuff you make 100% yourself, or you have to get express permission form someone else to use there work is my takeaway.

Are you allowed to post your own work under a GNU/MIT/or other free licence here?

Edited by sgreenwald8742

1. Only with the permission of everyone involved.

2. Only with the permission of everyone involved.

3. They have the permission of everyone involved.

4. You can create a new mod that does the same thing but you can't use any of the previous modder's work unless...you have the permission of everyone involved.

Document any permissions you receive.

Are you allowed to post your own work under a GNU/MIT/or other free licence here?

You can put any kind of release of rights you want on your mod, up to and including fully releasing it into the public domain. Less restrictive is always permitted, when it's your own work.

You can put any kind of release of rights you want on your mod, up to and including fully releasing it into the public domain. Less restrictive is always permitted, when it's your own work.

Thanks!

Edited by sgreenwald8742