DDoS season begins, sites a little bit unstable

Dark0ne

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AV is a band-aid for people with bad internet surfing habits. Not using internet explorer, getting an ad-blocker and script blocker is more effective when visiting untrusted websites then just having an AV program, because for all you know the website will infect you with something your AV can't pick up. Script blockers does as it sounds, blocks all scripts from running on a website unless you tell it otherwise.

If you're already infected and apart of a botnet it's rather easy to tell when you are and when your machine is being used, an internet page(s) that takes a few seconds to load taking a minute or more to load? Your machine is probably being used, to check you right click your task bar, click on task manager and see how high your network % is, if it's over a few % you're apart of an active botnet, if it's not, then your ISP is doing something.

Edited by EKSPat

Using an antivirus on your own system does not stop the DDoS attacks - it just prevents your computer from being used for this type of attack without your knowledge.

As for the person that suggested getting anonymous to 'do something' they already did - they are the ones who released the code for the most popular and easiest to use tool to do these kind of attacks to the kiddies. Then they asked everyone who supported them to volunteer their own computer (allow it to be used as a zombie) for DDoS attacks on the Church of Scientology, the RIAA and anyone who opposed Wikileaks among others. Once this program is running in the background, you will not notice anything when you use your computer. Once you signed your computer to be used for that one purpose, if you never bothered to completely remove that program - then you authorized your computer to be used for DDoS attacks by whoever had the info for that group of zombie computers. And running an antivirus scan will not do any good - because YOU authorized the program and during that sign up, told your antivirus that this was a ligit program. - Now, it is likely being used against sites you never intended.

If you ever allowed your computer to be used for a LOIC DDoS attack by Anonymous - Your own computer may now be DDoSing the Nexus. http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/charonn0/ohgeez-1.gif

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

From Pogo - a once very popular comic strip by Walt Kelly

In response to post #8479791.

Um actually I think it's just an automated maintenance between the hours of 7am and 12pm mountain time. But then again it could be or just a lot of traffic. I've noticed some days when I get off of work that getting into the site takes forever and logging via NMM the application seems to hang like its trying to talk to the server but no one's listening. A DDoS attack however would make it impossible to even load the page so its doubtful that's the case.

My guess is just increased traffic during peak hours.

I cannot stress this enough to everyone that certain house keeping techniques can keep your PC from becoming a botnet. The same techniques can be used to secure your online passwords, game IDs and so forth;

1. Be mindful where you browse. Don't just click sites randomly as many sites have malicious adware that could potentially have a trojan linked to a cookie. Get Spybot: Search and Destroy and make it a mental note to check your system every month to keep it clean.

2: If you get an email from an unknown source, no matter how enticing it may seem, DELETE and PURGE it. My general rule, "I don't know you so you're message is not even getting read...delete." If it has an attachment even more so.

3: An Adblocker is useful but bear in mind that some of the sites you love the most NEED ads to stay in business. Take game commentator TotalBiscuit for example. He gets revenue from ads supporting his commentary so remember upon using an Adblocker to filter certain sites for your favorites.

4. Change your passwords monthly. I know it can be hassle trying to remember passwords especially when you scramble them but it's a must. This is extremely encouraged with bank accounts, game IDs and online purchase. Most online banks offer a built in system that requires you to change your password every month. Try scrambling your current password into an anagram, type out your password via a secure word document such as Notepad and reallocate the letters/numbers into a different sequence then update your current password with the new sequence. This seems like a hassle but trust me; identity theft is a REAL threat.

Just a few house keeping techniques can keep your PC from becoming a botnet and giving our beloved site here a much needed respite.

In response to post #8479791. #8479967 is also a reply to the same post.

I'm sad to say that I feel the need to use adblock on here. Not because I don't want them to get money or anything. On the contrary, I would be happy to let the Nexus bombard me with ads is it meant more funds for site maintenance.

I use adblock because, last I checked, the ads were so intrusive I couldn't enjoy me experience anymore. I'll but up with blinking, moving, seizure inducing ads, but when they start trying to hijack my speakers, they have to go. Seriously. especially with multiple tabs open, the noise becomes unbearable.

EDIT: Never mind. It looks like they got rid of the yelling ads, thank the Nine. The false download is obnoxious, but I can deal with that. Adblock exception added. :) Edited by goloth2

Yeah, I didn't know about this stuff euther, I thought a lot of people like me bought new games in steam sale and maybe it was too much, I was almost angry with the site it got so frustrating. This is a terrible thing to do. People are terrible.

For people getting the No ID error....its all the people downloading and the Ddos problems..........and now i want to bang my heads against my wall