DDoS season begins, sites a little bit unstable

Dark0ne

We've been no strangers to bog-standard DoS attacks and thousands-strong botnet DDoS attacks over the past 12 years. Any given week we'll be DoS'd, just most of the time you won't notice it because systems are in place to prevent such attacks. Every once in a while, though, someone with a rather large botnet or someone using more sophisticated techniques comes along that either requires us to adapt or just to weather it out. All I know is, it's been 12 years, we've survived countless DDoS attacks, and the sites aren't going anywhere.

Going hand-in-hand with that is the fact school holidays have begun which means kids have more time to waste. I used to enjoy playing football, cricket, skating and trampolining in my summer holidays but I guess some kids like to run bot nets instead. The why isn't really important (and I have no idea as to the why). All I know is that it's happening right now on the servers and we're doing what we can to alleviate the problem as best we can.

There's not much you can do on your end to fix this exact problem. There is, however, something you can do to help the general DDoS plague and that's to not be one of the millions of dolts out there browsing the internet without an anti-virus and firewall running as a bare minimum. Botnets form because "hackers" have gained access to insecure systems. The more insecure systems they control, the more powerful their botnet becomes. Typically gamers are more clued in than most in this regard, but still, I know some of you will be reading this without any anti-virus installed on your PC and to you I'll simply say this; you are a part of the problem. You're not the problem, but you're a part of it in the same way you're a part of the problem during an epidemic if you sneeze without covering your mouth with your hand or don't wash your hands after going to the toilet. You're in that group of people. You aren't the virus but you help to spread it through your lack of action. So get on to fixing it if you haven't already, or at least please don't complain to me about the sites being down if you're in that group.

A blunt news post, I know, but in all truth I treat DDoS attacks with utter emotional disregard. Not that we're not trying our hardest to solve the issue, but frankly, there's no point getting upset about it. Some idiot is DDoS'ing us and cowering behind the internet's anonymity, we've had no contact from said individual(s), it'll end when it ends or when we find a way to block it and there's no point getting upset about it.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll get bored of it eventually, and if they don't, I feel sorry for them because the most entertaining thing they have to do is DDoS a site.

Why would someone have the intention of DDosing the nexus website? It's just utterly insane...

You aren't the virus but you help to spread it through your lack of action.

You can start solving the internal DDos by having the in-house crew go through the data base and remove all references to this website.

(((((((( nodiatis Dot Com Slash tou )))))))

EDIT, Broke up the link with underscores, Nasty place. Stubborn link too.

Users have and are placing *.jpg's in their signatures and are spreading the load at once spam. The nexus Skyrim main page is over loaded with it. All the skyrim users are migrating to the other sites. Data was scanned using peerblock 1.1 and recent as 2 minutes ago.

On the Files side , not the forum side, they are Embedded into Pictures, Jpg's, and ad-maps posted right in front of any one that lands on the pages, once...as you just described, a user that has no protection, becomes a Victim and now part of that bot net .So, rather than delete your Entire user base...I can suggest a quiet search and remove the items.

[ "You aren't the virus but you help to spread it through your lack of action." ]

That's what you just said, so I am taking action and informing you of what I found. They are following these posts too. I would post a screen shot but that would be intolerant here and invasion of privacy. Examples of what I found are available.

Kitty.

Edited by Purr4me

good with two or even three security program that I board, even though I do not know what is a DDoS, I think here will. but I have a question. I think using Flickr.com to add images to make records more filled. This is it safe for Nexus?