DDoS season begins, sites a little bit unstable

Dark0ne

Exactly. It's the moderation that, at core, makes this place great. The fact that legitimate users can come and go as they want, that modders can rest assured that their IPs are safe, and that the people we don't want to have to deal with, the trolls, the whiners, the people too selfish or too immature to follow the basic social norms of respecting their fellows, will have to go be annoying elsewhere.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a system/program that can limit the number of pings/requests/etc allowed from a single IP within a specified time, like say--- 100 pings/requests/etc every 10 seconds from a single IP and anything more than that is ignored/rejected/denied unless it is a transfer

(I think it would be best to have a separate system for transfers that can only be given limited commands from this domain (IE: Upload/Download stuff; no code execution allowed just strict storage)).

Working on becoming a white hat; still a bit new at it though.

Just throwing my 2 cents out there and hoping to be helpful. :]

In response to post #8478274. #8481421, #8481882, #8482170, #8482915, #8495941, #8497932, #8498672, #8499475, #8508950 are all replies on the same post.

If I just may...

"Hi <Name_Removed>,

I've taken a look at the report in the staff area and it looks like we've decided that we'd just rather not host the mod. We're not really happy with the images contained within the mod and while we respect your work, the time you put in it and the freedom you have to express yourself, we'd just rather not host it on the Nexus.

I hope you understand.

Regards,
Robin"

"We're not really happy with the images contained within the mod". <- Reason.

Reading the ToS, anyone? Yeah, sure, ToS specify for sure some Mods may be removed without any Reason whatsoever, and after all, this IS a private hosted Site. The Mod's being hosted elsewhere, so that's not a Problem for said Mod, either.

But in Fact, this still has happened. With this exact Reason. And it's not been a Violation of said ToS. So, it's still a Matter about the Community itself.

I don't know about others, but this somehow disencourages People to continue sharing their Stuff on here, because they don't know whether or not the Staff is "really happy with the <Content> contained within the mod" you made or not, which I really think is a Shame.

This goes as far as me feeling queasy and being kinda worried right now, that the Staff might not be happy with me even posting this Comment here, either.

But, put all of that aside, I still think of Nexus as the biggest and best Resource for Mods and Modders. But apparently, it's not all that much about "the Community" as I feel it should be. Yeah, even while being private hosted, and all that, yes. Because, where's the Line...? Where the Responsibility towards the Community, which is all of us, is being outruled by your own Taste...?

Heavy Question. Though, I'll for sure stay and upload Mods here if I ever happen to create some, and I'll watch my Step, for sure. Just to play safe, ya know.

*Addendum:
I might add that Nexus lost quite a few, actually many Users due to this Incident alone. People who felt being treated kinda unfair, who then uninstalled the Mod Manager and never came back. Sure - "let them go, no one's missing them"... but ya know... 'sall 'bout the Community, man. Edited by Flamey

maybe they do it cause your security is pretty well taken care of.

i can imagine that it would be something of an accomplishment for a hacking script kiddie to down a well secured site, and since the nexus ain't a bank or something the risks of getting caught and punished for it is low.

ofcourse there probably are some mad banned kiddies out there too.

personally i would consider hacking a waste of my precious time, i rather play Fallout a bit..