DDoS season begins, sites a little bit unstable

Dark0ne

Best of luck repelling such attacks. I could understand why someone would DDos a government website, or perhaps a large corporation that they do not agree with, but why here?

A multitude of reasons could provoke an unstable mind from reacting like this. Anger at a moderator or Bethesda; we will never know. :/

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #8464817. #8464832 is also a reply to the same post.

I don't think someone doing DDoS attacks cares much about cheating.

(though, I do find the sentiment that modding a single player game is "cheating" ridiculous)

In response to post #8464444. #8464668 is also a reply to the same post.

This is not... entirely... true.

A lot of the 200,000+ botnets are ran from Korea, China, the Netherlands, Europe, the USA, there's usually redundant botnet host control servers that are then remotely controlled from a dynamic location. Usually a throw-away computer or a cell phone or some such.

They make it difficult to trace, and difficult to stop, but not impossible.

Regardless of what nation it is coming from, regardless of the rules of that particular nation, there are methods in place to deal with it, all it takes is going to the authorities.

Trust me, no one wants the bot-nets. All those idiots who say they're doing it for freedom? Yea, it's bull. All they're doing is hindering the very same freedom that they are using as an excuse for their 'greater good'.

It boils down to a cheap thrill, to someone who tries to hide who they are, because they know they're in the wrong, but enjoy their moment of attention in their normal dreary and worthless lives.

Strange. Many sites have been getting attacked lately, a perfect example would be Cube World. From launch they have been getting attacked, I'm not sure if its stopped though. Theirs a lot more site having this happening to them, but I'm glad your still up and running!

In response to post #8464461.

A DDoS stands for (D)istributed (D)enial (o)f (S)ervice.

In essence, it's a method to have a distributed control node, direct an insane amount of traffic into a single location, sucking up the various bandwidth for each victom member of the botnet. This could potentially equate to OC192 or higher bandwidth, which tends to choke a back-end router. Likely the ISP that is hosting nexusmods are the ones dealing with the DDoS and working with authorities to handle it. As the admins of nexusmods said, there's not much they can do at the end point other than alert the authorities as I'm sure they've already done.

Now, how do botnets work?

Each member of the botnet is generally a hijacked system, usually windows, of someone who hasn't bothered patching their windows system, have not installed any antivirus, have not installed any anti-spyware, or in general are using a computer with total incompetence.

Could a botnet be a non-windows system? Of course. There are bot members that run FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris, MacOS, Beos, NeXT, you name it, there's probably at least one member somewhere. However in all honesty? They'll generally target windows, as it's a ripe field, with a lot of (to be blunt) stupid users without a clue.

These people who run the botnet master servers? Yea, they love idiots like you (a general you, not you specifically Rosepine :)...). Those who go to websites without any protection in your firefox/ie. Who don't use noscript, or adblock, who download binaries and run them without any checking, who click on links without any concern. You're the problem.

So, how can I help protect myself?

Do the following:
1. Get an antivirus suite. There's plenty of free ones out there, just do a search.
2. Get an anti-spyware suite. Yes, you need both.
3. Update your windows with the latest patches
4. If you have non-windows, update your OS with the latest patches
5. Use a firewall and enable it. At the very least, sit behind a router with everything blocked coming in.
6. Consistently update your antivirus and anti-spyware. It does no good if it's not current.
7. If you're more tech-savvy, use a tool to scan/clean your registry and check for hidden files, sockets. Like hijack this! is always good.
8. If you don't understand any of the first 7 points, talk to someone who does. Even if it means going to bestbuy or somewhere and talking to the geek squad. Find solutions. Be active. Learn your computer.

Using a computer is a lot like driving. It's a privilege. I personally think it should require a license to use, as it would remove a lot of the unfortunate events that happen on the internet, but sad as that is, that won't happen. So what you can do, as general users, is learn your computer. Figure out how the hardware works. Figure out why it works. Learn the operating system. Learn how to maintain it.

Not only will this increase the longevity of your computer, you'll find you'll get more enjoyment out of it in the long run. You lose nothing from the experience.

Hope this helps.