ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Ideas for modders

Jenwisns

So I'm just putting this here for anyone who has any ideas to give to modders and one of my own.

A functioning camera mod that utilizes the in game cameras and be able to upload the photos to possibly a terminal.

I'd definitely hope to see more lore friendly mods.

Edit: This was my first time using nexus when I posted this but thanks for the links helping me... Also I use Xbox not PC

Edited by Jenwisns

Something like that was already suggested once (take a "photo" and then be abel to craft a picture frame with that picture in it at settlements).

But it is technically not possible very very hard to do.

Because the "screenshots" that you take are png files that have the same resolution and size that your screen has.

The game requires a very specific format for textures.

So there would have to be a small programm that runs in the background and takes the screenshot image file, converts it, then edits the mod file (while the mod is loaded by the game, which is problematic) to have that picture as a craftable object or as a terminal entry.

There is a seperate forum for mod suggestions and mod ideas:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/3515-fallout-4-mod-requests/

Something like that was already suggested once (take a "photo" and then be abel to craft a picture frame with that picture in it at settlements).

Because the "screenshots" that you take are png files that have the same resolution and size that your screen has.

It's not that difficult.. :) I've made hundreds of pictures using this method.

Creating a mod with a proper "photograph interface" would be much more difficult, however..

It's not that difficult.. :smile: I've made hundreds of pictures using this method.

Creating a mod with a proper "photograph interface" would be much more difficult, however..

Yes, doing it "by hand" is not difficult.

(Taking the screenshot, quitting the game, opening up PS or PaintNET to convert the image, open the CK, add a craftable item with that image as a texture, saving that esp, relaunching the game)

What I meant is to have the whole "take the screenshot, convert it, make a craftable item with it" happen automatically while the game is running, THAT would be very very difficult.

Showing screenshots on a Terminal is going to be much less complicated than using them as texture for a settlement object.

I might perhaps look into it. Possibly.

Why?

Do images not have to be in a .dds format to be shown on termianls or what?

You would still have to dynamically create a terminal entry with the name (and folder) of the image that you want to display, right?

(If I remember correctly, you can display images in terminal entries kind of like HTML code for images works)

You would still have to dynamically create a terminal entry with the name (and folder) of the image that you want to display, right?

Nope.

Remember the Papyrus Terminal? That also works on the Pipboy?

That completely bypasses the (extremely limited) vanilla terminal menu system.

But I believe it's not possible to directly load JPG or PNG even there, only DDS. So some in-the-background running conversion thing (or xse dll support) would still be needed.

However, the entire "dynamically create/update a plugin with objects that use screenshots as textures, and load/reload it into the game without actually having to quit the game" dance is unnecessary with this approach.

Yep, lol. Most ppl don't realize this. And unlike Papyrus scripts or even SWF content, those C++ DLLs usually have full access to everything.

What's more, not publishing the source code to your public F4SE plugin actually violates the F4SE license. Most ppl don't realize this either.

But... The Papyrus Terminal in fact works without an F4SE plugin, only requires the script extender itself. It's still gonna be open source tho.