Modding Has Ruined Skyrim.

RS13

@Raestloz: Yeah, I made both of those changes (dropped URWL and the Serana altering mods) when I cut back to 53. The problem is that I get mods in a particular place and then I fix it and then it spreads. For instance, I was having problems with crashing on horseback. So I tried Boris's new CTD preventer and it worked for a bit. But only for a bit. So I reset my inis (the only thing I'd doen was enable multi-threading). That--strangely--helped. But it came back. So I dropped Deadly Dragons. That --strangely--helped. Came back. Dropped Auto-Harvest and Convenient Horses. Didn't help. So... IDK

@jjb54: Yeah completely total. I deleted that, then ran a search for "TESV" and "Skyrim."

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TenderHooligan and fifteenspades: You're right, I probably should have titled this "Modding has ruined Skyrim FOR ME" but I didn't and the title is what it is.

I hope my post above explains my apparent resistance.

Also, specifically @fifteenspades: I didn't mean to rude by ignoring anybody. I've been snappy with a few people, but I've taken the advice of a few people I haven't responded to yet. I have for instance, checked my case for dust and my system for any background anti-virus programs that might such skyrim down. But everybody's had a suggestion including a few guys who dropped full threads on me. I just can't respond to them and all and try to take anybody's advice.

Stability for me is more important than 2k textures on apples and vine bottles. :P (a joke)

Seriously, only use uGridsToLoad=5, or just have Skyrim set up default inis. The only big texture mod I'm using is the official HD texture pack, along with armor retexturing mods, NOT 4k versions though. I can play for weeks without CTD. Last week though after installing one (F*****G) mod my character saves went corrupt. I had to roll back to a save I had on my backup HDD. But I lost 16 days of gametime... Sucks!

Good luck!

I probably should have titled this "Modding has ruined Skyrim FOR ME"

"I Have Ruined Skyrim with Mods" would be more appropriate. :whistling:

Get rid of DYNAVISION and IMAGINATOR.

And get rid of anything with loose scripts or bsa files containing scripts which have not been updated since patch 1.9.32.0.08. That's anything that hasn't been updated since late February/March 2013. Just to be sure.

I'd get rid of Convenient Horses as well.

Not sure about Predator Vision, but if you must play as a Khajiit/Werewolf/Vampire (although why you want to play a Super Cat/Dog/Bat is anyone's guess), I'd try The Nature of the Beast II instead.

And try again.

And post your proper (relevant) system specs, including cooling system.

E.G.

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z

Intel i7 2600K 3.40 GHz o/c @3.8 GHz

Corsair Hydro H60 High Performance liquid cpu Cooler

AMD Radeon HD 7970 3072MB

Silverstone Temjin TJ07-BW Black Case with Window (it's got six fans in it)

Corsair TX850 Modular High Current PSU

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Also, do you have something like MSI Afterburner enabled for your NVidea card? I have mine set at 20% at 20ºC and it increments by 1% per 1ºC rise in temperature.

~.~

Try play in windowed mode.

I can't play Skyrim without mods. I can't play ANY game without mods or even ENB. But, if the stability suffers from mods I'd delete them.

You can read for hours about mod compatability, but I doubt that ANYONE know EXACTLY what mods can run together and which can't.

You can estimate it, but not 100% determine it.

Scripts makes Skyrim very unpredictable.

I think Bethesda has made the game very, very mod friendly. So what if it crashes from time to time with hundreds of mods, the game still tries to load. Hell I've been running around with characters only to realize that "Oh crap, he didn't have any eyes or eyebrows".

You have tried installing a few mods at a time trying to ease into a stable game. Some mods change mid to end game content. So a stable beginning wont necessarily determine how your game will do in 20 to 30+ hours which seemed to be what you were complaining about. What I do, and a lot of people will complain about scripts being left in the saves but w/e, is I load all the mods i want to play with, after checking for compatibility and patches the best I can. Then when I CTD which is normally entering a certain spot or area, and it keeps CTD at that same spot over and over. Then i open NMM and starting at the bottom of the load order begin deactivating mods, 2-3 at a time or one full mod if it contains multiple plugins. I keep reloading and CTDing until that stops and I can determine which specific mod is causing it. Then I delete it, reactivate everything and it goes on pretty stable for a while. There a a lot of bad mods(mainly abadoned ones) that aren't marked bad in any way and unless you comb through the posts you won't know.

Also using a bashed and/or merged patch will help ur mods work together.