how many people are still playing morrowind?

JazzBlack

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wanting to play a good single player RPG lately, something that I can sink my teeth into and then I was reminded of Morrowind. I played this back in 2004. But as a followup to Daggerfall, I was too quick to play through the main quest line and when I finished it I was met with achievers remorse. I didn't even bother with Tribunal or Bloodmoon.

So here I am, over a decade later. But this time I'm going to take my time. I'm playing vanilla with the exception of MGE so that I can play in widescreen. I tried a few mods to enhance the graphics, and they were great, but call me nostalgic... I like the feeling of the original textures and meshes. Well, maybe it's vanilla, I did create my own housing mod, but it doesn't really do anything but provide me with a ship Captained by Jiub to store my loot.

• 7 months later...

I want to play MOrrowind again, but I downloaded WAY to many mods (and as I am a collector, I wanted all mods that add unique items to actually add UNIQUE items to the game (ie at least new textures)) I haven't been able to make all my mods play nicely with each other.

Now it seems as if many of the sites I remember are gone and I don't know if I could even get half the mods I have again (or see if they were updated etc..)

• 1 month later...

It's been 14 years and still playing the hell out of it. Wow, what a freaking fantastic game!

Once a year I live in Vvardenfell for several weeks. Or months. And now it started again. Not that it's tradition or something, I just can't resist it. It takes a friend to say "mutsera?" and next thing you know you are already level 8 dunmer adventurer and haven't slept all night, god damned. And how can I NOT check latest Tamriel Rebuilt version, and omfg it looks amazing. When this will be finished I won't need any new TES game ever. Any game ever. Well, maybe except WoW and Heroes 3, but still pretty close.

Oblivion is so easy, cheesy, boring, flat, I can't even...meh, what a soulless and plastic world. Skyrim is much better, but still not the same, not even close. As peeps said - you play OB/SK, but you live Morrowind.

I've been playing it on and off since 2003. In my younger years, I had less patience for the tedium in this game. Today I play it at a much more gradual pace and I'm enjoying it. I'm glad to see the modding community is still very much alive and seeming to almost be as strong as ever. There's some really cool stuff that's come out since I last played this game and I can't wait to try it!

• 2 weeks later...

Morrowind is such a great game. I can't wait to get all of my mods working together correctly so that I can play it again.

Skyrim was very enjoyable (much more so than Oblivion); but it could have been really great if they had made it more like Morrowind -- i.e. with Attributes, Classes, Spellmaking, MANY joinable (and competing) factions, more depth in the Main Quest, limited teleportation, etc.

Yes, I believe that the traveling system in Morrowind is excellent. Effective use of available transportation (Silt Striders, Boats, Mark/Recall, Divine/Almsivi Intervention) is an important skill to obtain, but it can never completely eliminate traveling by foot -- which promotes more adventurous gameplay. I think that the relatively unfettered teleportation of Oblivion and Skyrim tends to promote linear gameplay, and it hurts immersion.

Sure, Morrowind's combat doesn't come close to the dragon battles in Skyrim -- but a truly great game is about more than just fighting, in my opinion.