your very own morrowind

no name white boy

I think the setting is perfect, but here's what I would like in no particular order.

Realism up the A'. Eating, sleeping, drinking etc.. Becoming a person with godlike strength is no longer possible. You are the reincarnation of the Nerevar not T3h otimate soulja! +3 against everything. Each NPC is 100% unique with their own schedule, home etc...

Graphics. They would need to be on the same exact level as Everquest 2.

Combat. I'd like to see EQ style combat with Dead or Alive/ Ninja Gaiden quality animations, plus about a million new abilities for thieves, warriors and mages.

Minigames to go along with skill building to replace the repetition with something more interesting.

Compatability. I want this to run on a P386.

That's pretty much what I'd consider the perfect game.

Perfect MW game anyways... :)

~v

Personally, I would like to be able to choose from a menu of responses to NPC's statements/questions. The responses could be everything from noncommital ("Oh, I see") to downright insulting ("You're full of guar dung!").

I'd like my character to move a little f-a-s-t-e-r... instead of going from a walk to a run and wearing down my fatigue, I'd like to be able to jog from place to place.

I'd prefer more NPCs to say all kinds of different things to me.

I wouldn't mind being able to at least make a second character to tag along with me and help me fight.

JF - you're just going to have to buy a pc! You can have hundreds of companions through freely available mods, you can even design your own. Also speed does go up as you progress. Find the Boots of Blinding Speed - a simple quest - and search these forums to find how to get around the Blindness side.

Personally, As you get higher in rank in a House you get a little posse to order around and be able to order assassinations, make allies, wage war etc. etc.

As a guild head you should also be able to dish out orders to your underlings, after all, you are the head honcho.

...And a faster animation for bow firing...have you ever seen it in 3rd person, it's so slow sometimes I run along side my arrows.

In my opinion, a much better Morrowind can be achieved by a good selection of plugins. It isn't anywhere near perfection, but you can improve it greatly.

GRAPHICS.

They usually aren't an issue for me, as I prefer a game with mediocre graphics but great gameplay and great atmosphere than a stunning but unplayable or dry game. Morrowind had great graphics for when it came out, but they still can be improved.

First of all, there are retexturing projects for almost everything, from buildings to terrain. Right now, I am using Khalazza's Visual Pack (with the 2.2 Nature add-on) and another retexturing mod called Visual Pack XT, fully compatible but made by a different author. I have also used Albedo's Landscape Remix, and it is very good... I am still uncertain on which one I like better.

Then, improved graphics for clothes, weapons and armor would be good - and a greater variety would be even better. So far, I have found a plugin which offers sharpened versions of these things - that is, they remain just like the originals, only they look slightly better. I have also downloaded a plugin which adds robes, but nothing else. Why?

First of all, the plugins containing weapons and armor: I am looking for plugins which add a good variety of COMMON weapons, and all I can find are unique ones, or weapons which feel blatantly out of place like ninja weapons, or diamond weapons, or stuff like that. I want more types of swords (e.g. flamberges or male without a father swords, but even just different models of iron longswords would do), wooden bucklers, different styles of helmets, and so on. No "Amazing Shortsword of Infernal Destruction + 25", no dominatrix armor, no jedi light sabers, nothing that feels out of place. As for clothing, I haven't found worthy plugins yet - except for robes. I can only find stuff that looks too modern for Morrowind, or that feels out of place - thigh-high black leather boots, tank tops, black jeans, kimonos and so on. I'd like stuff that someone in Morrowind would wear, and possibly retexturing of all existing clothes.

Last but not least - concerning the graphics - the lighting. The original Morrowind lighting is too unbelievable, and torches serve practically no purpose. Thank God I found a mod called The lighting mod (not very original, I guess) which makes caves pitch-black, and nights very dark.

PERFORMANCE.

This is a key aspect for the game. Right now, Morrowind crashes too often, and at least on my computer, there are times in which it slows down tremendously. A small program called Morrowind FPS Optimizer addresses this problem by trying to mantain a stable framerate, but I don't like the way in which the view distance changes while you play. I guess the only real way to play Morrowind in a "perfect" manner is to buy more RAM, a better video card, and a faster processor. A perfect Morrowind should play, at full graphical settings, very smoothly, and never crash.

SOUND.

Morrowind is just too silent. Which is why I recommend installing the ASE... that is,

the Atmospheric Sound Effects plugin. It adds sounds to all of Vvardenfell, Mournhold and Solstheim, and now that I have it, I wouldn't be able to play without. Try it out! I have no other complaints concerning Morrowind as regards its sounds.

COMBAT.

Amazingly enough, I would change nothing in this sector. I know Morrowind's combat system is too simplistic and not very exciting, but Morrowind is a role play game, not an action game. I think that, once one fixes the range and weight of the existing weapons, no further change is needed. That is, longer spears, shorter daggers, heavier warhammers and so on. The only OTHER change I have made in this sector is with The Dodge Mod, which adds a sanctuary bonus if you fight unarmored. After all, the point of unarmored fighting is avoiding the enemy's attacks, not becoming resistent to them.

REALISM.

Ah, my favourite. A lot of work could be done on this to bring Morrowind to perfection - give schedules to NPCs, give them unique personalities and answers, make cities emptly at night and stores closed... also, a perfect Morrowind would have its dialogue system tweaked: no more topic ---> answer conversations, but rather many more dialogues in which the PCs gets to choose between possible answers, at least with the key NPCs. And of course, anything uber should be banned. The player would need to eat, drink and sleep - but there are already plugins which add that. And there should be more overall freedom for the character - after all, this game gives you complete freedom of choosing the way you prefer to defeat Dagoth Ur. There should be other paths... allying with Dagoth Ur should be possible... pretending to ally with him to become a God yourself should be possible... and so on, and so on, and so on :)

Comments?

The first thing I would change would be the combat, i can't stand a combat system where there is barely any strategy whatsoever. Still, the most important aspect of Morrowind is the Role-Playing part, so i'm not really that angry about combat.

Secondly, I would change the way guilds view you. I was dissappointed when I became the master of the fighters guild, redoran house, and the imperial guard, and all I received was 100 disposition and was called master. You should be able to order people, do missions that increase the profit of your guild, and in the end make your great house/guild the monopoly of all other guilds.

Next, I would change the sound/music. I really enjoy the music in the game, but it lacks variety. I would include more battle music, and different types of music that would change if you entered a daedric shrine, then would change when walking along the shore. In my opinion, music is very important for a fantasy/rpg game. Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story are 2 games that are at the top of my favorite game list because they had amazing music that set the mood for the game (the music wasn't the only reason these games were great).

Those are the main things I would change, there are many other things that could be changed, but i'm not that picky ^_^

Archived