End to Skyrim as we know it?

Moksha8088

You can trick steam into thinking there's no game by having multiple named folders and in the settings adjusting where the game runs from. I'm doing a bad job of explaining it so here's a reddit copy...

--No but you can try some tricks up your sleeve. You can make two folders to trick steam, say you want to have two versions of fallout 3 . Simply copy+paste the original fallout 3 folder, rename it to something else (ie, FO3 modded). Whenever you want to play the modded version, rename the original one to something else, and rename the modded one to "Fallout3". Whenever you wanna play the original one again, just rename everything to how they were before. I hope that made sense..--

However i think there some more work you have to do for skyrim do to creation workshop too, i don't remember what I did a few years back but its possible. I think it had to do with updating an acl file or something? using a text file editor to spoof steam into thinking it was an updated version of the game. Problem was you would have to rewrite the code each time the game updated to keep the spoof working.

Anyways long story short, its possible, just requires some work

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why the f*** are they doing this

Because the benefits to the huge majority of users who don't use mods are more important than the short term problems for the mod using minority.

I would like to point out that the ONLY reason Skyrim remained relevant for 10 years was due to the mods specifically. If any game maker who has profited from the donation of users making mods to prolong its own product and they want to disturb, damage or harm the generous hand feeding it, then it deserves whatever comes from being that STUPID. But, hey... game developers as a whole are hellbent on being propriety and greedy, and they end up paying for it as history proves. Rockstar is already taking a major hit on GTAV for what it did to xBox users last April in "fixing" the nat feature.

I'll share my thoughts/ facts:

Skyrim is a Single Player RPG not an MMO. Therefore it doesn't need extra paywalls or subscription models. If i want that i play Black Desert Online or Elder Scrolls Online or any future Bethesda MMO Game if they ever make one. But Skyrim is Skyrim and more importantly a platform for Development of Game Mechanics.

This update is unnecessary but also problematic. We have created 3D LOD Systems, Parallax, ENB, High Quality Texture, High Polygon Meshes, advanced Combat Mechanics and Resistances to Enemies, Immersion and Survival aspects, Interactive Frameworks that make NPC to PC interaction realistic, Proffesional Modern Combat Animations like SkySA project, advancements in I-Frame mechanics, advancements of Physics with the newer tweaked version of HDT that was optimized so we can have Modern Cloak and Clothing Physics, alot of performance tools and tools like DynDOLOD and how Grass and Cells are handled.

We don't need an Update that will force us to break these things unless the update solves Game Limitations.

The Transaction from LE to SE was justified and necessary. But what new will the Anniversary Edition offer for all these aforementioned Projects the community did? The community literally took SkyrimSE and did ''Active Voluntary Development'' Bethesda didn't have to use a development team to develop alot of these innovative creations and can now start and progress developing their Next Game from a Higher and More Advanced point. We climbed half the mountain ''For them'' the only have to reach the Peak now and we carried them on our back.

I believe this is unfair treatment of your Customers and should i also say an insult?

I already only run Mod Organizer 2 to have full manual control over my Game Platform.

I already don't allow Steam to constantly run updates in the background. I use it only for Purchases and Starting a Game. Then it goes Offline Mode.

Its supposed to be a Gate a customer needs to pass for the sake of preventing Piracy and EULA violation, not a Big Brother than will ask ''Feed me'' ''Feed me'' What's next? Active Subscription? Its not an MMO! Even the MMO industry switches to B2P-F2P model. Sub models died with WoW.

When i run the Game i make sure especially with optimization software that only Background resources who run is Windows Desktop and nothing else except of the Game itself. Needless to say that i can play the Platform in High Performance even while overloading with Graphics Scripts and CPU related functions.

So no thank you to Anniversary Edition. The only way i am going to upgrade is once all the type of Mods i listed will be made functional for it.

As for Creation Club. I tested all content from it and the quality is as poor as the Beggar Prince of Namira.

I agree with you. I also consider that action as an insult to all the modders whom put a lot of effort to bring this game to the level it has and to all the players that now, are practically on hold so we need to decide if it is worth it to continue playing this game anyway.

Personally, my mood is down. I have been playing this game for 10 years and I had a lot of fun with it and still, recently, like 2 weeks ago, I started a new game that I do not know if I will continue playing it even if all the mods are fixed.

Also, long ago I gave my opinion that one day Bethesda will create or modify their games to the point that we would have to join their club and that free modding somehow will be broken. Let's think about it. What I would do if I was Bethesda ? I will allow mods but only if those mods are upload in my club so whoever want to play with that mod, would have to pay a fee to become a member of the club and have access to those mods. It is a way to make money and I do believe that even though this is not the case with Skyrim right now, it may be the way they will manage their future games.

I could be wrong but I could also be right about this. Now the question is : what is it that they will do if they ever come out with The Elder Scroll VI ? Should we believe that they will allow free modding as they did it with Skyrim ? Probably not ... or probably they will but under their own terms and conditions : joining the Club by paying a fee to have access to mods.

Now, will Bethesda do the same thing with Fallout 4 ?

Skyrim was the best game I've ever played but now I am loosing interest in continue playing it. New players will probably enjoy this new AE but old players like us, will think twice and probably it is time to quit and keep the good memories intact.

I would like to point out that the ONLY reason Skyrim remained relevant for 10 years was due to the mods specifically.

Bull.

Hardly. Mods are what's kept Morrowind around longer than most people have been alive on this forum. Same goes for Oblivion. Skyrim is no different.

Just on the topic of running both SE and AE on the same pc, if you have SE and purchase the payware upgrade to full AE, does the game still keep the same name in the Steam Common folder ("Skyrim Special Edition"), or does the upgraded payware AE version change the name in the Common folder to "Skyrim Anniversary Edition"?

Sorry if it's a dumb question or answered elsewhere, but I was just wondering (I'm still on SE).

Thanks - Bob