Energy Weapons...?

AlduinWorldEater

I'm sure that "energy weapons" have been suggested before, but I have a slightly different idea. Instead of the entire weapon being composed of energy, like the bound weapons, would it be possible for someone to make a weapon that, in appearance, is nothing more than a handle? Sort of like a lightsaber, I suppose, but with a more lore-friendly look. Upon drawing the weapon, the blade roars out of the handle in a blaze of magicka, upping its damage. For a little bit of realism as to how it's powered, maybe it could draw off your magicka reserves, and then the blade burns out when you run out, dropping its damage and leaving you with just a simple handle again?

I know there's probably all sorts of mechanics involved that I don't have the first clue about. But, if anyone's genuinely interested in it, I'm basically asking about a weapon that works like the Energy Sword from the Halo franchise.

Fun fact: The blades of the Magica Sabers mod are actually an enchantment. I found I could disenchant one of them and then enchant a normal sword so it would lit up when drawn. Unfortunately the actual blade tended to get in the way and ruin the effect.

But if you could get a sword with an invisible blade (which I suspect is what the magica sabers actually are), or alternatively make the spell effect larger so it envelopes the blade, you can totally have a lightsaber with a more lore-friendly hilt.

Edited by Relativelybest

All kinds of images popped into my mind upon reading your request.

Imagine a whole new class of weaponry with this idea behind it.

Like a bow with two components before activating. One is obviously the handle, the other could be a ring (only in appearance) that would act like the string's ''handle?'' (on the left hand's middle or pointer finger) It would fire any type of arrows, but it could have a new arrow type made of something valuable (and small) to offset it's higher dmg output. A hammer with a ridiculously large hammerhead (hey, it's pure energy, it wouldn't have any weight anyways) And all the other types of weapon you can use.

It would be glorious. lol

So yeah, I like the idea.

I just looked up the Magicka Sabers mod, and it's basically what I'm talking about, but...I want something lore-friendly, something that looks like it belongs in Skyrim and not the Star Wars universe. Still going to use the Magicka Sabers until I can find something...were I any good at modding, I'd craft up some new handles and just release a replacer mod...sadly, my computer-art skills are still at the same level as a 4-year-old's crayon doodles. I could provide some sketches, if it would help anyone...

I definitely like the thought of adding hammers and bows to this too. It reminds me of a weapon that Phijama made for Morrowind, the Ultraviolet bow. It was basically just a fancy handle, and the bow itself was made of blue-white energy. Fired its own supply of arrows.

An "energy crossbow" could also be done for Dawnguard users, but it wouldn't be real practical, since the only way to keep it lore-friendly (and realistic in any sense) would be to have a standard crossbow body with a "string" made of energy that fired bolts of light. Not a real workable concept...and I'd like to keep the mod dependent upon Skyrim alone, since I know how difficult it can be to get ahold of DLC. I still don't have Dragonborn.

Personally, I'd like to see a weapon in this set whose "handle" was just a soul gem...or, wait! EUREKA! That's how the weapons work! They have handles based upon their metal equivalents, with soul gems sticking out of the handguard instead of blades, acting as the focal point for the energy.

Soul gems...or normal gems...wibblywobblytimeywimeystuff...sorry, got off on a rant. Time to fix my bowtie and go eat some fish fingers and custard.

Maybe the bows could come in different levels of power, each level firing a successively larger number of arrows at once, that converge on a single target. Obviously, there'd come a point at which you'd be completely overpowered and one-shotting enemies...but isn't Skyrim's archery system already like that?

Okay, I tested out the magicka sabers mod. It's so close to what I have in mind...so very, very close...I just have a couple of adjustments I'd like to see. Obviously, the Star Wars sounds are an issue, but that shouldn't be too hard to fix. I also want to see a slightly different blade mesh...something reminiscent of the bound effect, where the power has a slightly rawer form to it.

I'm now inspired...perhaps, in addition to the basic weapon set, there could be "legendary energy weapons"...weapons that are so powerful that, when drawn, manifest themselves in such a violent manner that they damage, stagger, or knock back anyone too close to the wielder. Basically, they explode.

Of course, these "legendary" weapons, being so powerful, couldn't just be crafted. They'd have to be placed around Skyrim, in locations that are guarded by boss mobs. I'm thinking...dragons, dragon priests, stuff like that. And they'd definitely be a little OP...I'm thinking extremely high damage output, massive swings...balance that with slow speeds, maybe?

I'm Taking you'r suggestion, any man who knows how to create HD textures would help me a lot. Expect mod soon.

And the countdown begins! I can't wait to see what you can come up with. Sadly, I'm just an idea gal, not worth much for meshes or textures.

EDIT: I'd also appreciate some credit, just to know I actually accomplished something. I'm not gonna raise a stink if you don't mention me, but it would be nice :D

Edited by AlduinWorldEater

I'm Taking you'r suggestion, any man who knows how to create HD textures would help me a lot. Expect mod soon.

And the countdown begins! I can't wait to see what you can come up with. Sadly, I'm just an idea gal, not worth much for meshes or textures.

EDIT: I'd also appreciate some credit, just to know I actually accomplished something. I'm not gonna raise a stink if you don't mention me, but it would be nice :D

Don't worry i will credit you properly for main idea.

I thinking of using dwemer weapons or atleast some of their parts, and mix them into weapons, as dwemer are the only race which was capable of creating somethink like that, the most engineering advanced, after all they are the one who created Robot like, helpers.

If you dont agree with me suggest you'r own idea of first weapon appearence. Also if you like, you could create Background history for them, How they first were developed, who and how discovered (If anyone ever discovered besides Dovahkiin himself)

Plans for future:

Backround story Like Quest.

Legendary Weapons scattered all around varous Dwemer ruins.

Custom Dungeons????

Energy armor???

I'll start working by tomorrow, as today ill dedicate my whole day for Proper texture search

Edited by iHeroLix