Shutting down the government over Obamacare?

colourwheel

Obamacare is here so long as the republicans don't hold majorities in congress, and the oval office. Should that event come to pass in the near future, you can bet that the first order of business is going to be replealing obamacare.

As to shutting down the government over it.... It has come to the point that I EXPECT stupidity in washington. It is what they are best at. No, I don't think the republicans are doing themselves any favors resorting to such tactics, but then, the republican party is so dazed and confused at this point, they wouldn't know their keester from a hole in the ground. They don't know what they stand for any more, they don't even follow their own 'founding principles' any more. They have flip-flopped on so many issues, I am surprised the bruises aren't showing.

Washington is a mess in general. I don't really expect that to change either. Should be interesting to see what happens come November '14. Will folks be fed up enough with dem policies to overlook the outright stupidity of the republican party, and vote more of them in to office? Or, will the repubbies have alienated so much of their voting base, that dems will take complete control in washington? (I REALLY don't want to see that happen either.)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obamacare is here so long as the republicans don't hold majorities in congress, and the oval office. Should that event come to pass in the near future, you can bet that the first order of business is going to be replealing obamacare.

As to shutting down the government over it.... It has come to the point that I EXPECT stupidity in washington. It is what they are best at. No, I don't think the republicans are doing themselves any favors resorting to such tactics, but then, the republican party is so dazed and confused at this point, they wouldn't know their keester from a hole in the ground. They don't know what they stand for any more, they don't even follow their own 'founding principles' any more. They have flip-flopped on so many issues, I am surprised the bruises aren't showing.

Washington is a mess in general. I don't really expect that to change either. Should be interesting to see what happens come November '14. Will folks be fed up enough with dem policies to overlook the outright stupidity of the republican party, and vote more of them in to office? Or, will the repubbies have alienated so much of their voting base, that dems will take complete control in washington? (I REALLY don't want to see that happen either.)

Exactly why I said Obamacare isn't going away anytime soon. The chances of the republicans winning national elections seem slim to none looking at the recent demographic changes. I suspect the Republican party will be forced to change once minority vote over rules the white vote of the nation.

Edited by colourwheel

As far as knowing this law, the creators don't know this law. Those who voted for it never read the thing. All I've heard is talking points from either side and they regurgitate the same old tired messages.

So true.

Do you know this as a fact that the creator do not know the law that they wrote themselves or is this just another opinion? As far as my concern for those who have not read the law over(as lengthy as it is to read) or claim to not know the particulars of this law really shouldn't be in such protest over it. Might as well just simply state you just don't like the idea of social healthcare.

Regardless if anyone likes it or not Obamacare isn't going away anytime soon and this is a "fact" not just an opinion.

The simple fact is our congressmen and women do not write the bills, others who work for them do, and they don't read them either. This was told to me by an aide to Senator John Cornyn, who had read the Obamacare bill as his job for Cornyn. His words, its a bill that should never been passed.

Just because it was passed, doesn't mean it will do good things. (I'm sure some said the same thing about the 18th Amendment as well.)

Perhaps it is a bad bill/law but we don't know yet...however shutting down the government (by either side) because you couldn't get the bill/law stopped the proper ways hurts everyone.

They tried to stop or repel this thing like 37 times. Move on already and stop throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

The ACA is a bad bill in the sense that it preserves the backward structure and incentives of our healthcare system (for-profit, fee-for-service, largely tied to your occupation) and the controversy that surrounds it has simultaneously set back the cause of actual healthcare reform for... perhaps a generation (or more!). It might have helped people with genuinely terrible preexisting conditions who couldn't obtain healthcare before--and that is indeed a noble outcome--but, I'd imagine, most everyone else have only seen their premiums go up to compensate for these new additions (or they have gone up because insurers seized on this pretext to raise rates just because). A better system would be simple single-payer untethered to your occuptation (which employers would love!), with perhaps optional layers of high-end coverage obtained at the buyer's expense.

But, given the fact that Republicans have no alternative plan to the ACA and seem to think that our current system "is the best in the world" (*intense guffaw*), I'm unsure as to whether or not repealing the ACA is actually good policy. Likely, it would just be repealed and we would limp along with our current jank-a-lank system intact (increased premiums and all) and we wouldn't revisit this topic again until the present political generation has died off (which will take a bit since they actually have amazing healthcare keke). If, however, we could replace the ACA with an actual reformation of the healthcare system, I would be all for that.

Republican threats to shut down the government/default on the debt is pure clownage of the highest calibre, and, quite frankly, this seemingly annual "tradition" is getting rather old. HeyYou is right, both parties are indeed corrupt and (in general) DGAF about any of us, but Republicans perennially make me question: "Who let the 19th century anarchists into 'my' government" and indeed, why do they even bother to run and show up if they have no intention of doing anything actually productive. The short answer, of course, is that they ain't there for that, they're there to "build their brand" and cash out into right-wing media/advocacy complex. Sex certainly sells but so does making a fool of yourself; Republicans, sometimes adhering to both of these principles, are like the right-wing Jersey Shore.