Why do mod creators makes mods which require a laundry list of other mods?

Russia2012

I really get annoyed when a mod i want to use requires 5 other mods before it will work. Why can"t the mod creator simply make the mod so i can just download and play? I am making a mod and the only reason it is in various components is because i am still working on it. Once I have finished,I plan to combine all parts and then delete all the old files. I figure that users who use my mod will be like myself and not want the hassle of having to download 100 other mods to make the one i make work.Especially seeing that many of the requirements are mods such as appachi hair which i dont really care about as i could care less if my character has the choice of 100 hairstyle seeing that i only use a whip like pony tail for my female characters.when i have male character i am fine with short haircuts because when they wear helmets I am not going to see their hair anyway.

Edited by Russia2012

Mod authors make mods to suit their own tastes, thus, dependencies on other mods. Now I will grant you, some of them really go overboard on the dependencies...... I have seen some that have more than a dozen other files required, and I agree with you on that topic, I am just not going to go there.

With mods that require hairstyles and such, it is because those mods are needed to get the look they want.

With other mods, they might require functions that other mods have created.

And you can't just copy other people's work into your mod without permission. That's against the rules. Thus, dependencies.

With mods that require hairstyles and such, it is because those mods are needed to get the look they want.

With other mods, they might require functions that other mods have created.

And you can't just copy other people's work into your mod without permission. That's against the rules. Thus, dependencies.

i am aware that i can easily go on to creation kit and disable masters if i do not like it. i have done that on occasion for appachii hair and the like. there are many times I will tweaks mods i use to meet my needs. Such as when I like what the npcs in the mod do but I just do not like their models I will adjust the model attribute so they are more appealing. I agree one should not be copying other people's mods.

I do think it is fine to take inspiration from what other people create as long as what you are creating offers unique alternatives to what was created. For example the mods I am creating are similar to Immersive patrols in that they have npcs marching from one location to another however it offer different factions such as Draconians and Amazon who have their own unique structures from which they spawn from. I have also made additions to the cities. At the moment Morthal is actually my favorite Settlement followed by Dawnstar. I have also been trying to populate some of the islands in the far north and added pirate fleets in certain locations. I also go the idea to make recipes so that All items can be recycled and turned into more useful items. as I am aware diamond are made of carbon and charcoal is made from burned wood I made it so that one can turn wood into charcoal and charcoal can be turned into various gemstones. Buckets which are worthless as well as wooden plates can be turned into charcoal. all dishes, plates, cups, silverwear can be turned into iron or steel bars. Baskets can be turned into wheat fibers( the game does not really have hay or plant fibers) It is my plan to make gold coins have weight per coin so one is less likely to try to carry tons of coins with them. I might even attempt to make it so one can create coins from gold ingots. Possibly try to make silver and copper coins which can be converted to create larger denominations. 100 copper coins is equal to 1 silver coin, 100 silver coins is equal to 1 gold

Mod authors make mods to suit their own tastes, thus, dependencies on other mods. Now I will grant you, some of them really go overboard on the dependencies...... I have seen some that have more than a dozen other files required, and I agree with you on that topic, I am just not going to go there.

I think my annoyance comes from NPC types mods. I like it better when the creators simply offers the npc and states that in order to look like the npc in the photo one should use such and such mods. In all honesty it is a major reason I learned how to make my own NPCs. Then if i want to add 50 different followers I can make them how i like them and have them spawn where i know they wont cause conflicts. I am also aware that i could create new towns and cities outside of Skyrim and populate them and create quests. How great it would be if someone were to create a game with the models like Skyrim, the crafting and combat system of Conan Exile, an open world system like Minecraft and a Universe like Eve online. It would be even better if they added the option of traveling back and forth through time using a tardis like device similar to that in doctor who. Where if you made a mistake in the game you could travel back intime to correct it simply by remember when it happened and every action in game would affect future results. If you went back in time and killed the parent of an enemy that gave you a powerful weapon there is a chance that the weapon you got would disappear due to the fact that the enemy you got it from would not have existed. Or you could disappear if you went back and avoided killing an enemy who would kill your parents before you were born.