Elder Scrolls Online Using Subscription Fees

billyro

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1/10 would not buy for a dollar.

I see a few concerns based on all this.

First are the classes. If classes aren't limited by equipment, what is the meaning of those classes, and how are those classes limited so that there is some differentiation? I would assume it would be skills in that case, but that seems problematic if you choose a weapon unrelated to your class, like a warrior using a bow, or a magic class using dual swords and heavy armor. Being able to do something contrary to the intended mechanics of play can initially lead to confusion, an late game lead to people who are not built to fulfill a party role. This becomes a much larger concern late-game where most players eventually end up since party roles are usually what it's all about. While having a certain amount of freedom may sound good, if it's half-way, it becomes extremely hard to find people with competent skills, or becomes mostly meaningless as people are pushed into cookie cutter builds in order to not be insta-kicked. By not having a means to respec or anything like that, you only add in an element of frustration as players are forced to reroll time and again every time that the expected demands for groups are changed (usually every update). While this might seem like a great thing among those who are sick of simplified MMOs, unfortunately WoW has proven that casuals and people who want 1 button gameplay are where the money is.

Second, is the issue of clutter. Stealable clutter in the world brings with it questions of how it is instanced/respawned. Somehow I get this picture of seeing a handful of low level thief characters crouched around a table waiting for something like a silver bowl to respawn so that they can steal it... repeatedly. It's a great idea and all, but can see it being very bad from a gameplay/reality standpoint.

Third, is wondering how the inventory situation is. Is it a very limited weight limitation like Oblivion and Skyrim? Is it one like Morrowind where you can quickly offset weights by using high enchantments of feather? or is it one with like a slotted inventory like almost every other MMO out there? And how restrictive is it?

i'd imagine for end game PVE raids, dungeons whatever most people will go pure DPS, healing or tanking and there won't be much variation in high end PVE builds but in PVP and "solo" player builds i see there will be many viable builds. im pretty much 100% PVP player in MMOs so i never put much thought of the talent system in high end PVE, but the system sounds amazing for PVP and solo player questing but for PVE i'd think people would go for just pure role builds. also i forgot you get to use two weapon sets so you can be a warrior using two handed weapons with an offset for bows. also im sure you can reset your build at a penalty most likely gold, but you cant change it at will which is the point. as the armor, heavy gives the most survivability but the slowest magicka and stamina regain, light armor gives low survivability but the most regain, medium is in the middle. as for if a mage with a giant axe and heavy armor can be viable at end game, im not sure.

for the clutter im not sure how or if it respawns. i think the clutter is set for your player and everyone else gets their own clutter etc. i think most clutter is worthless so i dont think farming clutter will be a problem. there's treasure chest in the game but most of us failed and broke all our lockpicks

as for inventory it uses standard mmo inventory. you get 60 slots to start if i remember correctly. i didnt see a encumbrance rating or weight system