Mods not taking effect in game, but are enabled in Vortex.

DartDazer
Go to solution Solved by pdarwin1953,

I have no clue whether this is a hardware issue, Vortex of Skyrim but if it is Vortex this is probably the best place to ask right?

Detailed Description of the Problem:
So I started going over my mod list recently and I have this weird problem that I have never seen before. I have all my mods installed and enabled, sorted that whole thing. All extensions have been run and are working. Along with updating the mods I also installed the new SKSE version for AE (preliminary). And now I'm having this problem where everything seems to be installed properly, and is enabled but it just doesn't take effect in game. For an example I use Arthmoor's 'Live another Life' mod, but even with it installed and enabled I get the default Helgen start. And the same goes for all my other mods, nothing seems to 'activate' (for the lack of a better term). I also checked the load order in the Bethesda mods section in the main menu and none of the mods are enabled. So i tried enabling them there to see what would happen and the game just crashed to desktop. And for each time I tried to activate the mods it seemed to be different plugins each time that caused it to crash. The first time it was "Lore weapon expansion - Goldbrand", followed by: "YOT - SWIFT". So I tried to only enable my absolute core plugins (Alternate start, LotD, Unofficial patch, that kind of thing) and enabling them worked fine. But when I tried to start a new character it just loaded endlessly. I just left it and it went uninterrupted for a solid hour with no change. I tried verifying the game files which didn't do anything, so I tried to reinstall the game which also did nothing. So I started to google on the issue and found nothing that actually fit the problem I was having. So I decided to write this post to see if anyone has encountered this before or has any idea what could be causing this (because I am completely stumped). I did ask this question (albeit in a bit more of a TLDR format) in Heavy Burns' discord but all I got out of that was that I should use MO2 instead. I have been thinking of completely removing Vortex, all mods and Skyrim completely and do a fresh install on another drive, but I have hesitated a bit with that since just writing down the mods would take several hours, not to mention actually downloading them. One thing I did note is that after I updated Skyrim to version '1.6.342.0.8' all my previous saves got corrupted. Going as far back as 2016 to a playthrough that didn't have anything installed other than the base game and the DLCs. But that was the only weird or unusual thing that I noticed really, but any help, suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

TLDR:
Everything seems to be installed properly and seems to be working in Vortex (Is enabled as mods and plugins) but the mods does not take effect in game and everything seems to be running vanilla with a few random tweaks here or there that has nothing to do with the mods. I have not found anything on Google and I'm completely stumped so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 year later...

I would LOVE to click the "plugins" section - but it is not found in my left hand pane. I am running Vortex 1.9.5 - I am running Windows 11 Home - I have removed and installed the supported (dot) Net 6.0.415 ( dot Net 7 is also available now ) and I have removed and installed Visual C++ 2015-2022. I have also clean-wiped my PC and reloaded Steam (2.10.91.91) and Vortex 1.9.5, activated Steam for Skyrim SE - and upgraded to AE - running .640 and 2.2.3.

The issues I am having are with my Mod installations (which come from Nexxus - (yes, I am logged and a Premium member).

Mods are downloaded and appear to be in the correct folder - Data for the esp / esl and other folders randomly checked.

I have run SSEEdit for Update and a few other sections - and then ran LOOT successfully selecting the new load order.

However, mods are not working and neither is MCM.

I have reinstalled the latest SKYUI 5.2 SE - and no joy.

I have done a little research - I am using NVIDIA video card and drivers. I understand Bethesda dropped out when they could not charge customers who owned the game(s) for the updates for Skyrim, etc. with NVIDIA.

I also know that the Gamebryo engine used in Oblivion was upgraded to the Creation engine - (not a rebuild from the ground up...). So, potentially we could be outrunning Skyrim SE / AE with technology and new drivers/software. An even bigger shock here is that Microsoft bought Zenimax / Bethesda for 7.5 billion $$$.

I cannot run a lot of simple mods that I was using a month ago. Each one was wiped from my system and I manually downloaded a number of them - only to see them fail. From the "Ralof or Hadvar alternative start mod", to "Leaf Rest" in Riverwood, to "Golden Rings of Crafting", to "Crafting Supplies - All-in-one", to "Ashara Merchants and Trainers" - as a few examples for simple mods that do not work in my Skyrim SE/AE. The games starts and I take the carriage ride start and leave Helgen with Hadvar and get to Riverwood. On the escape from Helgen - I can confirm that one mode is working - "Opulent Retexture 2k" as the dead mage in the locked cell cage can be looted once you pick the lock.

The only other issue that stands out - is that I am playing with a controller and when I attempt to hit the button that exits to SAVE or SETTINGS causes CTD until you leave Helgen. Then, by some miracle it is "healed" from this malady. The only Helgen-related mod I have loaded is the "Ralof or Hadvar alternative start".

Still looking for clues - if anyone has successfully dealt with this - please share. Thank you.

• Solution

Okay - I stumbled into where I was going wrong...

Get this...

In Vortex - left panel - click on Extensions

Upper left corner of that opened window is "Show Bundled"

I had (some time ago - too long to recall when) deselected a number of Extensions because I got tired of seeing the red errors about Master List not being accessible.

Among the ones that I disabled were several for Gamebryo -- to be safe - I enabled them ALL.

This action forces a restart of Vortex - allow it - and POP!! There are my Plugins folder and my Save Games folder again.

Sheesh ---- I cannot count how many times I've asked for help and before someone answers - I find it.

LMFAO

I am trying to Mod Skyrim SE with Vortex. I recently got a new gaming tower and now can't seem to get Diamond Textures CBBE v2 to work at all. When I remove the characters clothing they are wearing the original Skyrim undergarments. I have uninstalled Vortex several times, uninstalled the mod Diamond Textures CBBE v2 several times. It's the only Mod I have added so far so it's not a conflict issue. I have fresh install of Skyrim SE from Nexus and no mods other than the Diamond Textures CBBE v2 mod. The discription states there is no dependencies other than the base game. What am I doing wrong here?

Any and all help with this is greatly appreciated, Thank you :smile:

Edited by Jneya