Solid State Hard drives

I'm using a standard HDD as my OS drive and using my SSD just for gaming.

That's not the optimal setup. Most games don't care about HDD vs SSD, while for OS it matters a lot.

It depends on how much you like loading screens. Keep those types of pauses to a minimum. One hint is the SSD, should be used as a boot drive and a few of your favorite games. One of my favorite things about Windows 7 is the ability to move the documents folder, and thus the common saved games folder to another drive. Another tool that is very useful is Steam Mover which allows user to move folders to another drive and create a symbolic link(very useful for Steam games for which the application was named after.)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify for any new to mod/custom rigging your PC

RAID0 is the set-up that you want to do - this is the one that ' splits ' the data stream across the TWO Config' Drives.

RAID1 is the set-up that acts as a ~Mirror Drive and has its purpose but not what us PC Gamers want (we like Fast).

It depends on how much you like loading screens. Keep those types of pauses to a minimum.

The difference is that OS can start working 3-10 times faster with SSD, while games load only 10%-50% faster and fps is the same outright.

Just to clarify for any new to mod/custom rigging your PC

RAID0 is the set-up that you want to do - this is the one that ' splits ' the data stream across the TWO Config' Drives.

RAID1 is the set-up that acts as a ~Mirror Drive and has its purpose but not what us PC Gamers want (we like Fast).

I might add that "Raid" alone is an insecticide too.

• 2 months later...

Hi

I have not looked into for personal use but I am purchasing them with an IBM Blade rack and intend on having the OS run off the SSD drives and the virtual servers off the SAN.

Edited by pathi

• 1 month later...

I love My SSD, good old Skyrim never ran so good :biggrin: So in the market for another, maybe 256gb would be a better choice this time, 120gb is pushing it. Firewire rules..

http://www.tigerdire...3&Sku=O261-8202

Hmm i wonder if they have any in store, sticking with OCZ :thumbsup:

Edited by Thor.

• 2 weeks later...

OCZ petrol series is the best iv encountered whatever you do avoid kingston ssd now v200 no firmware updates now or ever which means when your beloved ssd starts slowing down which it will in time you cant refresh it and take it back to its glory days ( and not to forget windows havent assessed the kingston hardware so support from them is non existent too ) the best value for money iv seen is the seagate baracuda 7200 500 gb HD (6gbs) given the minimal gain from ssd,s in gaming terms the high quality HD,s is what id suggest coupled up to the right mobo one with sata rev 3.0 sockets you'll be non the wiser .

and SLIMHOUSE doesnt the RAID0 format render both drives useless when one fails through either data corruption or hardware failure, but RAID1 has a 50/50 survival chance ie one dies its twin riocks on ?

Don't put SSD in RAID in a home system. Just get a bigger one.

RAID1 always survives single drive failure and rebuilds. RAID0 indeed loses all the data.