Where are thou board games?

brokenergy

I started my early board game career with "Mensch ärgere dich nicht" (link on WIKIpedia) Chess and Skat,

but later on I was a ...

http://fluff.bloodbowlleague.com/files/bbmeme.jpg
And it is better to kill and cripple as much opposite players as to win one match in a tournament the 1st three games. I had enough fatalities on field with a mixed team of Trolls and Skaven's. Next they tried to change the rules so i only could have one troll on field at a time.. to make it short it backfired on them Skaven's are nasty when playing against elves. I only had trouble with Dwarven teams, but that is natural to have tough games against them.

Thanks for that clarification!

Blue text is purely optional, it's just to put things in context for the curious. Feel free to ignore.

As I said earlier, I'm a big fan of WarHammer, as much because I like the universe as the game itself. War Hammer 40,000 has one of the most compelling sci-fi backstories of any game(or even movie) I've ever seen. Basically, in the year 28,000 AD, a guy called the Emperor, who has nearly god-like psyker abilities, gathers up what's left of the human race into the Imperium Of Mankind. The Emperor is a scientist first and foremost, and he creates a new species of superbeing called Homo Astartes to protect humanity as it ventures out into the galaxy. In the beginning, the Imperium is sort of a utopian "dream state" Peaceful, seeking only to explore and learn, it quickly becomes embittered by just how nasty space turns out to be.

Everything then goes to hell. Humanity discovers that there's something sentient and evil lurking in warp space, and that something "corrupts" roughly half the Imperium(and half the Primarchs) A big-ass war happens(this is the first playable scenario/newly added too, but already extremely popular due to good writing), the Emperor and the remaining Primarchs all die, and without the Emperor's calming psychic influence, all humanity's bad, animalistic traits re-emerge(and then get magnified by the monsters in the warp) The two halves of the Imperium spentd the next 10,998 years fighting eachother and everything else with a pulse, the Astartes for some reason get renamed the Space Marines, gain an ultra-geeky new battlecry, and humanity along the way loses it's recorded history(and most of it's tech)(second playable scenario-the original game)

So in the end, you've got two playable scenarios. The newly added prequel(during the utopian period, it's faster paced, high-tech action, with a much warmer, brighter atmosphere) or the hellish classic game set in 40,998 AD(super low-tech, gritty, bloody and brutal) There's 11 playable races, and each one has it's own sub-factions, with their own unique look, playstyle and backstory. For example, if you play Astartes(by far the most popular race) there's about 20 playable factions(called Chapters) and you can even make your own.

Finally, the difference between two sub-factions here is incredible. Let's take the Astartes. Two sub factions: Imperial Fists and Blood Angels(my chosen race) Fists: Yellow armour, lots of extra plate gear. Pure defense faction-digs in, makes bunkers, makes the enemy come to them. Typically acts and looks like a near-future army, primarch is Rogal Dorn(German) who is gruff, informal, and a master tactician-if a bit hidebound. Angels: Bright scarlet armour, high mobility/melee offense army. Uses jetpacks or teleporters to get into melee then go berserk. Something in the process that makes Astartes went wrong when making the Blood Angels-resulting in them being Vampiric and mentally unstable. Medieval knightly aesthetic, primarch is Sanguinius(Italian) who is noble, funny, and an epicly powerful melee unit-but, not as capable as a commander.'

Edited by Vindekarr

good old times...
http://emilyhaile.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/hotel21003.jpg
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll170/philnwendy/EBAY%20PICS/DSC_0005_zps2886531e.jpg
http://www.bipgames.it/bn/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Heroquest_GameSet.jpg
damn! now I feel old :sad:

AH Heroquest! I used to play it a lot with friend as kid.

These days i play some board games with family, like alfapet, alias, and some others. My parents and sisters like boardgames a lot. I usually buy some new boardgame as xmas present to someone and then we all play it on xmas evening.