running fallout 3 in a virtual machine

shadowfx78

• 6 years later...

FO3 is already unreasonably heavy on the CPU, filtering everything through a VM will probably be unpleasant.

Have you considered creating RAM disk installinations that mount a drive to ram, copty the contents there, and then no changes are saved unless you tell it to (may also help with loose files). You'd need at least 16GB, preferably 32, to make it work though.

FO3 is already unreasonably heavy on the CPU, filtering everything through a VM will probably be unpleasant.

Have you considered creating RAM disk installinations that mount a drive to ram, copty the contents there, and then no changes are saved unless you tell it to (may also help with loose files). You'd need at least 16GB, preferably 32, to make it work though

FO 3 is most certainly not heavy on the CPU.If it is,you must not have a decent PC.

Have you considered creating RAM disk installinations that mount a drive to ram, copty the contents there, and then no changes are saved unless you tell it to (may also help with loose files). You'd need at least 16GB, preferably 32, to make it work though

FO 3 is most certainly not heavy on the CPU.If it is,you must not have a decent PC.

Oh, let's stop making assumptions. Vanilla fallout3 is definitely not cpu heavy. But, I made the same mistake as you and made the assumption he would want to mod his game as well (MMM increased increased spawns -- I'm looking at you). Throw enough badly scripted (but fun) mods into the mix and my laptop with an i-9, NVE disk, 32 GB ram, & 2080 RTX can slow to a crawl. I'm playing at 4k, but watch the CPU utilization with intel's Extreme Tuning Utility or similar and you will see. It will max out available threads (which of course we have to limit to get it to work anyway).

A VM is going to take every call to hardware and run it through the CPU first, including graphics, it WILL slow the game down, but it's not an impossible solution if he can't get it to work any other way.