Steam, Vortex, modded game moving

tejano2828

Im going to attempt to move my heavily modded skyrim se to a new PC and I was wondering if anyone has tried it.

Here is what I am going to do.

1. Download and install Steam on new PC

2. Download and install vortex on new PC

3. Copy Steam /common folder of Skyrim to new PC

4. Copy Vortex game library of Skyrim to new PC

5. Copy my documents skyrim saves to new PC

If anyone has tried this please give me some insight as I have a feeling it's not going to work.

Thanks.

0.5. Use Purge command in Vortex on old PC.

2.5. Download and install Skyrim on new PC

2.6. (only if still using 1.5.97 version) Download and run Unofficial Downgrade Patcher on new PC.

2.7. Run Vanilla Skyrim on new PC.

2.8. Duplicate all settings from old version of Vortex on new version of Vortex on new PC.

6. Copy "Users/*yourname*/AppData/Roaming/Vortex folder to same place on new PC.

7. Deploy mods in Vortex.

8. Confirm all mods are enabled in "Plugins" tab.

Should work.

Thanks for the reply.

0.5 Can you reverse this action on the old PC?

2.8 Duplicate all settings? You mean find Skyrim se on Vortex?

One more question what about the download folder you don't have to copy that over?

Thanks.

Edited by tejano2828

You can reverse the purge after copying the Vortex folder in AppData, yes. The purpose of this is to have Vortex on the new computer in "ready to deploy" mode when you are ready to go.

Duplicate settings mostly means making sure that the file paths to the game and the staging folder are the same. When you copy over the AppData folder you'll overwrite these settings along with copying all the deployment data. If they match, then there won't be any errors.

You don't have to copy the download folder, but you won't be able to reinstall any mods or change any install options without it.