R&D XCOM Map Alterations

Amineri

Pretty sure that sectoid doesn't exist. It's a model attached to an animation track in the cinematic, rather than being a game object. Basically the intro to FiLP is a skyranger cinematic without the skyranger. So the game doesn't have a "dead sectoid" available to spawn, hence the necessity of spawning a normal one and killing it to get a corpse on that square. (And no solution at all for Zhang's pistol)

You could do it with custom models (though I can't remember how far we progressed on that).

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although a very minor detail... i still think there HAS to be a Sectoid corpse "model" system that continually shows them in all sort of different situations during any missions. To me -- that means an object is being dumped on a map tile. Which in principle could be used to show that dead sectoid for the FILP map and its scripted events. Sooo, devon_v -- forget cinematics and other circumstances surrounding ZHang having just killed a sectoid... what only matters is that **WHEN** the mission map starts up, and all troopers are neatly assembled between the Lion Statues -- they'd (and us) be staring at a Sectoid corpse dowstairs.

Edited by Zyxpsilon

A dead sectoid is a live sectoid that's been ragdolled. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that there's no "FiLP sectoid corpse" object to be placed. Spawning and killing a sectoid via script would work, though it's unlikely to ragdoll into the same pose, and it would play its death sound again unless there's some way of suppressing it. It also has to be done after the cinematic or it would be visible before hand.

Edit: Remember that in vanilla corpses vanish. Long War makes them stick around the same way that stunned aliens persist. That's why Zhang's kill is missing in the first place.

Edited by Devon_v

"Only" can be quite a distance when you're hacking something that doesn't want to be hacked. :)

The map is loaded because it's all done in engine. Most of the cinematics are indeed prerendered videos, but notably the skyranger intros, FiLP, and the first MEC and Genemod cinematics are real time so that your actual soldiers are displayed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back-ish! Here are some patches for bugged cover and floors. I don't remeber any other bugs so please point them out. We cannot fix the broken door at the barn ufo yet, only undesctructable cover bugs.

Fix for the full cover of the flipped car wreck in police station

http://i.imgur.com/Xlv9UFe.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5s32acaadz6iy1r/patch_policestation.upk?dl=0

Mitigation for the fallen street light in nuked city (small ufo), you can walk on the terrain but you cannot land a flying unit. A better solution would be to find and remove the mesh but it's hard to pin point it among all the other objects. There's also a destructable pilar near the van which should be full cover but is half instead.The mesh is split in 2 parts and I think I might add some other bugs by fixing it (by adding an invisible destructable actor which provides proper cover)

http://i.imgur.com/XCJu1Oo.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/23gqxs35dkjf6m0/patch_nukedcity.upk?dl=0

add the files as a streaming map in defaultmaps.ini

Liquid, that's great! Can you be more specific exactly how these go in defaultmaps.ini ? Should I take the existing lines for these maps and then put these in the StreamingMaps[1] parameter?

Also, I can poll hardcore players like Beagle who may be extremely familiar with specific map bugs.

And to be clear on current capabilities, you can add new bomb and covert ops maps in a bug-free way?

One other idea I had, but I'm not sure it's possible yet -- landed battleships. Right now Long War uses crashed battleship maps when those UFOs (specifically assault carriers) land. It would be great to have cleaned up versions without fires and wreckage for those missions.

(An alternative would be to remove the moving cityscape underneath the DLC battleship map and replace it with a static map of dirt and grass, but that's a DLC map, so it shouldn't be the only option for those missions).

Copy the upk in cookedpcconsole and append as the last stream in defaultmaps, like "StreamingMaps[1]=( MapName="patch_nukedcity", Loc=( X=0, Y=0, Z=0 ), Rot=( Pitch=0, Yaw=0, Roll=0 ) )". I place my maps in a subfolder to keep things cleaner.

I cannot find beagles' invisible bush cover bug from his beta15 stream, but yeah buglist would be handy.

I think we can clean up a bit the battleship maps from particles and decals. I was about to propose to treat the dlc ship as "landed" since it's moving slow and close to the ground and xcom can board it, but I guess it doesn't work for those who don't own the dlc.

edit: by toggling the decals ("show decals") with a console command the ships look in a quite good shape!

Just make a list on which maps do you want a bomb and where to position the nodes.

Edited by LiQuiD911

Yeah it's a dlc if you don't buy the complete edition.

Kismet decal cleaner is working fine, but the particle remover is a bit overzealous, it removes not only the fire but also computer and alien power core particles :\

Edited by LiQuiD911