Update on site work and NMM 0.50 around the corner

Dark0ne

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy the idea of having profiles as the way it will be implemented should theoretically lead to less debauchery of the vanilla game files, however, some things in NMM still look like they are only half finished. I am not against releasing the new profile version, but I am really hoping for some sort of ability to be able to download/browse the Nexus for mods, as well as use manual downloads. In all, I am still very excited and love the dedication this team puts out for the modding community as well as the gamers. I am looking forward to testing the converter, keep up the good work Nexus Team!

In response to post #9160045. #9162092, #9162352, #9164413, #9165803, #9166413, #9167007, #9167131, #9177780, #9182846 are all replies on the same post.

argvminusone, your points make it glaringly obvious you are not an advanced modder and do not understand why many of them would cause more problems than they would solve. I'll cover each so you can learn.
1. Load order is extremely delicate and while BOSS is intended to help, it is not intended to be an end all solution. Boss still requires fine tweaking by the user, something an automated process cannot provide, since many custom mods and patches are usually present.
2. For the same reasons as 1, Bashed patches, merged patches, master updates etc must be handled on a case by case basis by the user who knows what he is doing in these cases. If you don't know enough and can't be bothered to do these properly each time you install mods then how is a program supposed to do it for a million unique load orders?
3. Shortcuts would be nice, but there are so many different tools right now, this seems like a tertiary priority.
4. Compatibility nightmares galore. Installing multiple mods at the same time should never be done to avoid obvious issues that could arise.
5. Same as 4 and because many files may be corrupt, redundant and NEED overriding despite you, the user, not thinking they do.
6. It's up to the mod authors to make optimized patches for their mods, not the staff.
7. Again, it's up the mod authors individually to properly list mod dependencies, which they often do not. How are the Mod Manager staff supposed to do this for thousands of mods?
8. This is usually up to the user's taste and millions of file combinations are possible.

What needs doing are ingracious users such as yourself learning to properly read and install custom content rather than whining about a magic button you can press to do it for you. Modding is an after market, enthusiast field which isn't intended to be user friendly, just like modding computers, cars or other complex systems. We are lucky Robin and his staff provide us with tools like NMM at all. Edited by Fatalmasterpiece

In response to post #9160045. #9162092, #9162352, #9164413, #9165803, #9166413, #9167007, #9167131, #9177780, #9182846, #9189858 are all replies on the same post.

I, for one, am looking forward to it. Every time I've run into a weird quirk or problem with NMM, I always think: 1. *sigh* well, it IS still in beta; and 2. wow, with all the things they fix before I even run into it, the law of averages dictates I'll get one every now and then. C'est la vie. I'm a serious, but not advanced by any stretch, modder, so I admittedly sit back and ride the wave created by the amazing team here. After all, we're just now getting to the .5 version of a project that I imagine has become quite Hydra-like as it's gone on. With that far to go before getting a 1.0 label, I'm sure many of these issues can be addressed down the line, and if they've got this on the (I'm certain gargantuan) list of goals before other well known...we'll call them limitations...I'm willing to bet that implementing the program requirements for they profile system will make other improvements and expansions easier. Good luck, guys. We appreciate your hard work.

In response to post #9146844. #9147518, #9151489, #9152819, #9155363, #9158982 are all replies on the same post.

Some people don't know how to handle loose files. Not to mention that if a mod sounds cool, but ends up being crap, you then have to delete individual loose files that the mod specifically puts there. I'd rather use a mod manager than do all that. Means I spend more time playing, less time organising.

In response to post #9160045. #9162092, #9162352, #9164413, #9165803, #9166413, #9167007, #9167131, #9177780, #9182846, #9189858, #9190136 are all replies on the same post.

I disagree. I for one am quite happy with NMM and look forward to the new version. I don't need BOSS to set up my load order, in fact I don't want BOSS messing up the load order I carefully set up. As for a lot of your other demands, they wouldn't be appreciated either. NMM does exactly what I expect a mod manager to do already, and I think the addition of profiling will improve on an already great product.

To Dark0ne and the rest of the staff, thank you for a great site and a great mod manager. As a programmer I understand the effort you have put into this and greatly appreciate it.

In response to post #9160045. #9162092, #9162352, #9164413, #9165803, #9166413, #9167007, #9167131, #9177780, #9182846, #9189858, #9190136, #9192312 are all replies on the same post.

I don't agree completely with the fixes listed in the post either, but I agree that honestly I'm not seeing profiling as a priority - but of course, I'm talking about my own priorities and I'm not sure how many in the community will be glad to have such an option. Personally I love the way NMM works even now, and it has simplified the mod installing process in ways I never tought possible (I remember an insane amount of CTDs with Oblivion, due to my limited experience with mods at the time).
I'll be happy to watch how the thing turns out, provided that I'll still be able to install mod the traditional way; my Skyrim is installed in a SSD drive, that as many already know has limited space and a limited lifetime, and I really wouldn't like to install shortcuts to folders in another, traditional Hard Drive.