Update on site work and NMM 0.50 around the corner

Dark0ne

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Profiling? NMM still has many glaring omissions among its basic feature set, and you're already moving on to something as fancy as profiling? How about you start with:

- Automatically adjusting load orders via BOSS

- Automatically running external tools (configured by the user or by an installed mod), for regenerating Bashed Patches, SkyProc patches, etc

- Toolbar shortcuts for manually running external tools (most notably modding tools like GECK/CS/CK, TES*Edit, Wrye Bash, etc)

- Installing/uninstalling multiple mods at once

- Adjusting mod install options without doing a full uninstall/reinstall cycle

- Downloading mod updates as patches, rather than pulling down an entire hundred-megabyte archive for every new version of a mod (which I imagine wastes a colossal amount of server bandwidth)

- Automatically fetching mods' dependencies, notifying the user of conflicts, etc

- Automatically figuring out whether files from one mod should overwrite files from another (for e.g. some compatibility patches)

I admit that implementing these features would be much more boring than the glorious symlink profile system you're describing, but they need doing…

Just thinking about it. some things don't work with obmm. like some scripts for skse etc. I've been using nmm to install them because it puts the files directly in the folder. If the current version is discontinued will the new version have a way of taking this in to account? Or will the old one still be offered?

In response to post #9160045.

I disagree with about half your points- generally the top five.
I already have the programs I want to use (creation kit, BOSS, WryeBash) all have shortcuts on the desktop- all it takes is a minimization and double-click to load my desired program. Though, it'd be nice to have BOSS integration...
I don't think I would like multiple installs/uninstalls... I wouldn't do it with Windows and other full programs, so I wouldn't want to try it with mods...

The lower half I completely agree with. But I'd put them at the same level as mod profiles. In fact, I think I would love profiles even more than the others, especially for testing.

In response to post #9160045. #9162092, #9164413, #9165803, #9166413, #9167007, #9167131 are all replies on the same post.

I too would love toolbar shortcuts similar to the ones at the bottom of Wrye Bash. Instead of having 6 shortcuts on the desktop for all our modding needs we could just have NMM. Just a thought. Edited by akkalat85

In response to post #9160045. #9162092, #9162352, #9164413 are all replies on the same post.

@ Roccondil. The tone makes the music.

Programming is however NOT easy and can be really time consuming (but also extremely rewarding and addictive -- make a living as a Java programmer). What you CAN do (like everybody else) is test NMM 0.5. The more ppl test it the quicker it matures and the faster they (Nexus) reach the intended works 100% (as PRE NMM 0.5) goal. After that they can IF they choose to work on other features. Edited by wolverine2710