"Open world removal" mod possible or not?

Tytanovastatos

Maybe you should state what your gig is about . . . cuz nobody really knows

Start writing the game /// which is basically describing what the player will see .

I expected a way to remove the empty spaces in open world games to compress the gameplay down.

That is what my gig is about.

And wondering how that could be achieved.

Not gonna happen.

You expect someone to redesign a game for you.

Empty spaces in an open game world are usually not "empty" at all. In Horizon Zero Dawn you have monster encounters, resources, hidden treasures, side missions, merchants, lore bits etc. The same is true of Far Cry 6, but I could mention a few other ow games too. You have random encounters, resources, side missions, secret areas etc. Design of player progression in an open world game world takes these game elements (resources needed for crafting, xp gained in open world encounters/side quests etc.) into account.

What would it take to castrate an open world game? Theoretically, it would be possible to create a hub somewhere near your first spawn point, with portals leading to each major and minor boss fights. Then the mod maker would need to disable cutscenes (I assume they are also a waste of time for you) or make them optional, rebalance progression, rebalance crafting, install chests or merchants in the hub that start offering the higher tier weapons at certain points, trainers that offer skills/spells/etc. depending on your level....

My bet is NOBODY will do that crap, especially not free. And if it's not free, expect a hefty price tag, because it's not a license plate replacer that even a noob modder can knock together in half an hour.

My advice: try Monster Hunter World or Monster Hunter Rise. They are hub-based worlds, where you fast travel to your selected hunting grounds (these are relatively small areas). Whether the combat system and gear upgrade grind in those games are right up your alley is something you'll need to decide for yourself.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start writing the game /// which is basically describing what the player will see .

I expected a way to remove the empty spaces in open world games to compress the gameplay down.

Not gonna happen.

Empty spaces in an open game world are usually not "empty" at all. In Horizon Zero Dawn you have monster encounters, resources, hidden treasures, side missions, merchants, lore bits etc. The same is true of Far Cry 6, but I could mention a few other ow games too. You have random encounters, resources, side missions, secret areas etc. Design of player progression in an open world game world takes these game elements (resources needed for crafting, xp gained in open world encounters/side quests etc.) into account.

What would it take to castrate an open world game? Theoretically, it would be possible to create a hub somewhere near your first spawn point, with portals leading to each major and minor boss fights. Then the mod maker would need to disable cutscenes (I assume they are also a waste of time for you) or make them optional, rebalance progression, rebalance crafting, install chests or merchants in the hub that start offering the higher tier weapons at certain points, trainers that offer skills/spells/etc. depending on your level....

My bet is NOBODY will do that crap, especially not free. And if it's not free, expect a hefty price tag, because it's not a license plate replacer that even a noob modder can knock together in half an hour.

My advice: try Monster Hunter World or Monster Hunter Rise. They are hub-based worlds, where you fast travel to your selected hunting grounds (these are relatively small areas). Whether the combat system and gear upgrade grind in those games are right up your alley is something you'll need to decide for yourself.

Nice Idea with the hub ... I sorta thought of it too , but you knew how to voice it ; )

and with a couple dozen more people voicing the same opinion as the OP .

Guessing the hub idea could become popular ?

wh@ts the motivation to mod it you might ask ?

Same reason there always was , Player Reaction !

Nice Idea with the hub ... I sorta thought of it too , but you knew how to voice it ; )

and with a couple dozen more people voicing the same opinion as the OP .

Guessing the hub idea could become popular ?

wh@ts the motivation to mod it you might ask ?

Same reason there always was , Player Reaction !

The problem: does the game that the OP wants to mutilate support modding? You might be able to pull this de-open-world-ification off, for example, in Witcher 3, which has a good selection of modding tools. Skyrim? Absolutely. Elden Ring? Not so much. You'd need to be an elite-level Unreal Engine guru/hacker. Recent Far Cry entries? Uhm...

So even in the unlikely case that a modder is willing to undertake this daunting project, the game itself may prove to be extremely uncooperative. I know for a fact that even games based on the relatively well-explored UE4 engine may thwart even simple modding attempts (another example: you can easily replace existing companions with custom ones in Code Vein, but creating a brand new non-replacer companion is apparently a very tough nut to crack.)

I've tried to describe general examples here, because the OP mentioned the scourge of open world games in general, without identifying what titles drew his ire.

Not gonna happen.

monster encounters, resources, hidden treasures can be relocated and packed into more compact locations freeing up the empty space.

Lore bits are just text. Can be accessed through the menu. Side missions fall into

1) Go there kill this

2) Go there collect this

3) Go there talk to this NPC

Or any linear combination of the 3 above. Since we already put the collectables, enemies and NPCS into a compact area the side missions will be faster to do.

Resources can be collected fine and better because it is more densely packed.

Since the open spaces are removed the secret areas will be easy to access.

The hub is a good start.

All the NPCS can spawn in the hub to remove padding from side quests.

Progression does not need rebalancing the portals leading to the boss fights will generate items and create progress that way.

Someone will do it, because people can do incredible things if they try. Dont underestimate human will.

Not gonna happen.

monster encounters, resources, hidden treasures can be relocated and packed into more compact locations freeing up the empty space.

Lore bits are just text. Can be accessed through the menu. Side missions fall into

1) Go there kill this

2) Go there collect this

Or any linear combination of the 3 above. Since we already put the collectables, enemies and NPCS into a compact area the side missions will be faster to do.

The hub is a good start.

Progression does not need rebalancing the portals leading to the boss fights will generate items and create progress that way.

Someone will do it, because people can do incredible things if they try. Dont underestimate human will.

So far as I have seen, no one has done it for any open world game I am aware of. And looking at beth games, if a mod of that nature HAD been done, the odds are REAL good it would be hosted here. But, there aren't any. I have seen a LOT of mods that ADD more/new space, but, not a single one that reduces it.

Not gonna happen.

1) Go there kill this

2) Go there collect this

The hub is a good start.

Ya I'm a minimalist to , in the sense that I mostly only play the GECK for the last 10 yrs. Not that I'm releasing mods for Fo3 / FNV ... I just like figuring out all the intricacies to manipulating that engine.

Which I have come up with half dozen ideas that I think deserve bringing to fruition ... and maybe I will get one done ?

But I sure as heck don't have the will to work on some piss ants idea to modding it ... which is only about their convenience of play time.

Maybe you should look into what it would take to create a cult of modders ... that are dedicated to your whims on what to mod.

And I have to say ... you're not the first with this sort of self centered attitude OF ... OH Please ... Placate Me !

No modder is ever going to do this, not only is it a ton of work it'll also be incompatible with a large number of other mods, use fast travel or the coc or MovetoQT commands, they'll probably break quests but so will any attempt at removing a large chunk of the game.

Ya I'm a minimalist to , in the sense that I mostly only play the GECK for the last 10 yrs. Not that I'm releasing mods for Fo3 / FNV ... I just like figuring out all the intricacies to manipulating that engine.

Which I have come up with half dozen ideas that I think deserve bringing to fruition ... and maybe I will get one done ?

But I sure as heck don't have the will to work on some piss ants idea to modding it ... which is only about their convenience of play time.

Maybe you should look into what it would take to create a cult of modders ... that are dedicated to your whims on what to mod.

And I have to say ... you're not the first with this sort of self centered attitude OF ... OH Please ... Placate Me !

It wouldn't be possible anyway, FO3/NV have important main quest elements that take place in the open world.

No modder is ever going to do this, not only is it a ton of work it'll also be incompatible with a large number of other mods, use fast travel or the coc or MovetoQT commands, they'll probably break quests but so will any attempt at removing a large chunk of the game.

It wouldn't be possible anyway, FO3/NV have important main quest elements that take place in the open world.

Well not this piss ant selfish turd modding idea .\

But I am working on a new way to play NV ... I guess we will see .

• 3 weeks later...

There is nothing self centered about it. Many gamers would like games to respect their time and give them a compact action filled experience.

There is nothing self centered about it. Many gamers would like games to respect their time and give them a compact action filled experience.

Don't buy an open world game?

Game companies make games for folks to enjoy. I think your claim of 'many', is overstated. So far, we have see ONE person requesting this. Has anyone else thought this was a 'good idea' in this thread? So far, none that I have noticed.