Phone Blocks

hoofhearted4

just watch the video. very very interesting idea. esp for us PC guys who just like to upgrade parts as we go.

i think this is just a design, a thought. as far as i know they are just looking to spread the word. if this ever got a kickstarter or something id absolutely back.

if you have facebook, like their page Phone Blocks. Help spread the word. this is a great idea, even if its only an idea, its stuff like this that very well could be the future of phones and technology in general.

Seems technically tricky and expensive. Phones can't afford to carry connectors for hardware they don't have, and this also restricts every component to its own square which may lead to wasted space inside the squares and the possibility that you can't tetris everything together even if the actual electronics would fit.

Also, integrated chips.

This would be awesome for PCs however, which already kind of work like this except you need to open the case and deal with fragile exposed electronics. Of course everyone in IT thinks the only thing PCs are good for anymore is making content for phones and tablets and Microsoft is trying very hard to sink the platform, so don't expect any more innovation on the PC market.

It's good idea but ignores that fact that many see a phone as a status symbol, upgrading is something that's looked forward to, high end phones are all much the same so looks play a big part and I doubt many would want anything that looked like that.

oh this would never be something that would replace iphones. it would be for the smart people such as us PC users who can see passed the status symbol and see the innovation and money saving this would be. i see this phone like Linux, only the smart people will use it hahaha. no bias or insulted intended.

I don't see how buying a pile of separate parts will save money, you'd have to buy all the parts to start with and then what? phones have gone as far as they can with current battery technology, you could maybe add some RAM but that's about it. The changes we've been seeing for the last year or so have been mostly OS changes and higher res screens, the screens have gone about as far they can too because they also eat the battery.

It also feels like a bad idea from a rigidity and durability standpoint. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but a good number of people tend to beat the hell out of their cellphones, drop them, toss them onto things, or hold them tightly as they're screaming to the other arsehole on the line. Having a modular design like this just ends up increasing the chances that some components might fall out, get loose enough for water to get in, or just be uncomfortable to hold.

That aside, given the way that most cellphones are sold and contracted, this just doesn't work.

again, i dont feel like this would be a mass market thing. it would be something sold to a niche. also, a case would prevent things from falling out. idk very many people who use a cell phone without some sort of case, this phone would be no different.

and how will this not save money? brand new Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5 - $700+ without contracts. a new piece for a phone? $100 or less? besides, youd probably pick out what you wanted when you bought the phone (which may or may not change the price) so youd still only end up with what you need. find out you want something? just add it later.

also, the big name companies, at least here in NA, are looking to get rid of contracts. i was talking to a sales rep a few months ago from Verizon, and he said it wont be long before contracts are gone. people today need the latest and greatest phone, which comes out faster then every 2 years, so contracts are costing them money because people cant upgrade. so contracts may not be an issue at some point.

or they may be sold via a method that doesnt use contracts. like my cell. i dont go through Verizon or AT&T or anything. my cell isnt on a contract.

Edited by hoofhearted4

again, i dont feel like this would be a mass market thing. it would be something sold to a niche. also, a case would prevent things from falling out. idk very many people who use a cell phone without some sort of case, this phone would be no different.

and how will this not save money? brand new Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5 - $700+ without contracts. a new piece for a phone? $100 or less? besides, youd probably pick out what you wanted when you bought the phone (which may or may not change the price) so youd still only end up with what you need. find out you want something? just add it later.

also, the big name companies, at least here in NA, are looking to get rid of contracts. i was talking to a sales rep a few months ago from Verizon, and he said it wont be long before contracts are gone. people today need the latest and greatest phone, which comes out faster then every 2 years, so contracts are costing them money because people cant upgrade. so contracts may not be an issue at some point.

or they may be sold via a method that doesnt use contracts. like my cell. i dont go through Verizon or AT&T or anything. my cell isnt on a contract.

You don't know what price the parts will be, the less you make the higher the cost per unit, as a niche device the costs will be higher. The contracts is an important point, I buy mine outright and use sim only but most people don't, what reason would they have to get one when they can get the whole thing replaced periodically at a discount? It's a neat idea but I don't see a market for it, not one big enough to make it viable.

as i said, contracts could be going by the way side.

also, if people realized they could upgrade pieces of their phone whenever they wanted, better CPU, more responsive screen, etc, then it could beat out waiting 2 years for a contract end date, or waiting for the next $700 flagship from one of 3 companies.

this phone is only an idea. to say it would be successful or not, so early, is, as we know, fruitless. could end up being something huge, or a flop. even if this phone itself doesnt go anywhere, i like the idea.