⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Some keyboard keys suddenly stopped working

Diaryofjane

Here's the latest. If I hold down the "WINDOWS" key then the letter keys respond correctly! This only happens in Skyrim! However, the WINDOWS key + l kicks me out to my Windows sign in page. WIERD! So any ideas on what in Skyrim could be messing with the keyboard, specifically the WINDOWS key?

Well, you could try changing your gamepad-related values to 0, in case the game is trying to force using a controller rather than the keyboard.

The other thing that seems strange is that your Steam system info does not detect your BUS? If your keyboard uses a usb port, then maybe that is related to the problem.

As for spoiler tags, you can find the spoiler tag in the pull down menu of the third icon to the left on the top toolbar. You just highlight the text and then select the spoiler tag on the pull down, it hides huge blocks of text to save people from having to repeatedly scroll through it. Very useful if you have long mods lists or whatnot. Although what yo posted was not terribly long, I'm just noting in case you may find that useful for future reference.

When you say current loaded--did you have more stuff and remove it? If so, was the problem there before you started removing things? If not, the problem may lie with an incomplete removal of mod affects on your game. If you have not done so, I would recommend using the STEP Guide's instructions for reverting to vanilla skyrim--it will remove things that can be left behind by just using the steam remove local content button.

To Georgiegril...I have tried the gamepad values but may not have done both simultaneously so will double check that. as for my comment about currently loaded I will try again but as I mentioned I unloaded all my mods using the tools NMM and Skyrims data files, then did an uninstall and physical deletion of anything that was not replaceable via mods. E.G. textures etc. But will try again. As for the bus issue: All the keyboards I've tried use the USB bus. My new computer has a pretty high-end mother board an ASUS Gryphon Z87 MOBO that uses the new USB 3.0 setup. Don't know why it doesn't recognize it although several of my keys work as noted earlier. Any thoughts on the "WINDOW" key along with pressing the wasdjip keys and have them work properly?

For vlaka: Thanks for the thought but I had it too and as noted earlier tried the following. Used another wireless keyboard and had same issue, bought a new keyboard that was NOT wireless just usb and it still had the same issue. I do not have a PS/2 port to try.

Here's latest in SkyrimPrefs: This look good?

[MAIN]
bGamepadEnable=0
bCrosshairEnabled=1
fHUDOpacity=1.0000
bSaveOnPause=1
bSaveOnTravel=1
bSaveOnWait=1
bSaveOnRest=1
fSkyCellRefFadeDistance=150000.0000

[Controls]
fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=0.0000
fMouseHeadingSensitivity=0.0125
bAlwaysRunByDefault=1
bInvertYValues=0
bGamePadRumble=0
bMouseAcceleration=1
bUseKinect=0

well, other than that I don't recommend auto saves, but that is a whole nother thing.

I'm pretty sure you did this, but uninstalling/reinstalling Steam might help it recognize your hardware, especially the BUS.

Also I can't remember if you said that your keyboard works fine with other steam games or not? Knowing that would help determine if the problem is related to Skyrim specifically or a broader problem with Steam or your drivers.

Also, please confirm that you bought/downloaded the PC version of the game?

Can you tell me which keyboard you are using and which driver for it?

The Windows thing is not something I have heard of before, it seems like it could be driver related, if it is not steam trying to force your keyboard into being a game controller.

Thanks for your reply. I do not own or play any other Steam games. Yes I bought the PC version and it worked fine as I said on my other PC. I have reinstalled and uninstalled everything twice including Steam. Why it's not recognizing my bus I don't know, could be the bus I guess. The keyboard works fine on my other computer with Skyrim and Steam so it's the bus or some other weird thing. I'm using a Logitech K800. I've also tried a Microsoft Comfort 4000 and another USB non wireless Logitech and all of them have the same problem. For the K800 I've tried both the Microsoft default and Logitech's SetPoint. The WINDOWS key thing is very strange but it works that way. So there you are. Don't know what to do at this point. Will probably take the computer back and see if I can get another motherboard installed. I'm still within my 15 day guarantee. One thing I haven't tried yet is reset everything to defaults. Last effort. Wish me luck.

Thanks again for trying. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...