Desired features in Creation Kit 3.0

Pickysaurus

Scripting functions, events

1. Find vertices on the navmesh, or even just the triangles and report their positions.
  2. Return an object's cell coordinates without having to do the math yourself.
  3. Be able to return all references in a cell even if they are non persistent.
  4. a hasReset - Cell boolean
  5. Carry OnPlayerTeleport from Fallout 4 over.
Edited by VampiricEmpress

• 11 months later...

My thoughts and speculations;

Navmesh - Given the largely procedural and modular nature of the world spaces in this new engine it is very unlikely the navmesh system was practical to move forward. They would need a more dynamic system to make things work. My guess is that the nav data now resides in the meshes themselves and an occlusion mechanic using collision has been set up to solve the overlapping object problem most likely evolved from the F4 settlement pieces. Navigation probably just works now.

LOD - After watching the Direct showcase 5 times (once at 1/4 speed) i can say definitively there is absolutely zero object pop in any where to be seen. Literally everything is drawn all the way out including the rocks and trees. The only way this is possible is if ALL of the distant LOD is created at runtime.

Mesh and Animation Import - This is more wildly speculative than the navmesh but hear me out. Unlike Berthesda's previous games there are no proprietary softwares such as Havok mentioned. I believe Bethesda has finally eliminated all propriety code from their engine thereby removing the legal obstacle that was preventing them from sharing their tools. We will most likely have mesh and animation import programs that will companion with the creation kit (if not built right into it) on day one.

I am very confident that this tool set will be the most robust and optimized to date.

• 2 weeks later...

The Forge was added to the Creation Kit 2 in 2019. From the forge site "The Forge Cross-Platform Rendering Framework PC Windows, Linux, Ray Tracing, macOS / iOS, Android, XBOX, PS4, PS5, Switch, Quest 2". The Forge's Vulkan run-time will probably drive the graphics. Bye, Bye HAVOK. The Forge uses the scripting language LUA, so some are thinking it might replace Papyrus.

Looks like The Forge Ozz Animation system will drive the animations. Ozz. animations

Check out this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M8zfHHcOlw.

For the graphics they used Maya, which is expensive and more complex than Blender which gives me troubles when using it. It's like I have to relearn it every time I touch it since I only use it occasionally.

I'd like to see if they can apply animations to existing bodies in the CK2 without having to do it in Maya/Blender/3ds MAX. But this is a big ask and unlikely. For modders that don't have a lot of money, they're going to have to figure out how to export and import Blender files for animations. It'd be nice if there was an animation import feature in CK2.

The Forge was added to the Creation Kit 2 in 2019. From the forge site "The Forge Cross-Platform Rendering Framework PC Windows, Linux, Ray Tracing, macOS / iOS, Android, XBOX, PS4, PS5, Switch, Quest 2". The Forge's Vulkan run-time will probably drive the graphics. Bye, Bye HAVOK. The Forge uses the scripting language LUA, so some are thinking it might replace Papyrus.

Looks like The Forge Ozz Animation system will drive the animations. Ozz. animations

Check out this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M8zfHHcOlw.

For the graphics they used Maya, which is expensive and more complex than Blender which gives me troubles when using it. It's like I have to relearn it every time I touch it since I only use it occasionally.

I'd like to see if they can apply animations to existing bodies in the CK2 without having to do it in Maya/Blender/3ds MAX. But this is a big ask and unlikely. For modders that don't have a lot of money, they're going to have to figure out how to export and import Blender files for animations. It'd be nice if there was an animation import feature in CK2.

I think one of things we may have going for us in this cycle is the extremely broad appeal this game has. That appeal and enthusiasm will no doubt drive the updating of third party tools as well as an avalanche of files the likes of which we have seldom seen. Mark my words, in less than three years, Starfield will have the highest file count on this site.

I think one of things we may have going for us in this cycle is the extremely broad appeal this game has. That appeal and enthusiasm will no doubt drive the updating of third party tools as well as an avalanche of files the likes of which we have seldom seen. Mark my words, in less than three years, Starfield will have the highest file count on this site.

I do agree there will be a lot of mods. Although, Skyrim (SE/AE) has a ton of mods made during its 12 yr history. Not just on Nexus; I have to use multiple sites for my mod load.

All those empty planets will attract modders like bees to honey. I'll probably be pretty selective because it is space and I want it similar to space; difficult to inhabit. The game comes with 10% of the 1,000 planets inhabited, which is dense compared to what the Hubble and James Webb telescopes have seen. Most of the telescope discovered exoplanets are hellscapes. It's a miracle we're even here on this livable planet; nothing within 1,000 light years has been discovered (yet).

"How the Universe Works" is a favorite show of mine which I highly recommend to get in the mood to play Starfield.

I do agree there will be a lot of mods. Although, Skyrim (SE/AE) has a ton of mods made during its 12 yr history. Not just on Nexus; I have to use multiple sites for my mod load.

All those empty planets will attract modders like bees to honey. I'll probably be pretty selective because it is space and I want it similar to space; difficult to inhabit. The game comes with 10% of the 1,000 planets inhabited, which is dense compared to what the Hubble and James Webb telescopes have seen. Most of the telescope discovered exoplanets are hellscapes. It's a miracle we're even here on this livable planet; nothing within 1,000 light years has been discovered (yet).

"How the Universe Works" is a favorite show of mine which I highly recommend to get in the mood to play Starfield.

Given that the majority of those planets are procedurally generated though, I wonder how the nuts and bolts of a mod altered planet is going to work...... Will it be as simple as clicking a check box, making the planet persistent? Or will we simply be unable to re-landscape a random planet, and have the changes stick....

• 2 weeks later...

I pray that navmesh is automatic or at least much easier to work with.

Also would love for a youtube series with both basic and intricate tutorials from an official Bethesda source. The lower the difficulty for starting modding, the better!

ChatGPT type integration to do scripting.Typing is hell for me (medical reasons).Anything to help reduce excessive typing would help.

This would greatly reduce the learning curve and time required to create intricate stories and quest mods. +1 this idea