Can I remove mod zip files from my desktop?

loco2304

Hey guys,

Noobie question here, I've been dragging my fallout 4 mod zip files to the desktop and installing them via mod manager (located in by B Drive). The mods have been successful installed but I'm wondering if I delete the mod zip files on my desktop if that will cause issues?

Just wanted to make sure before I go cleaning up my desktop.

Thank you.

Depends on which mod manager you use..... Some, removing the zip archives really offends them, and it then wants to uninstall the mod..... (I am looking at YOU NMM.....)

I create a folder specifically to store archives. Currently, it's in my Download folder. (my NAS died, unfortunately) Keeps 'em out of the way, and I know where to find them.

Agreed, on both counts. It depends on the manager that you are using.

Most of my mod downloads are downloaded to an external hard drive where they remain archived pack rat'd for posterity. Or, if I get into the installed mods with Xedit, and I eff something up, I still have the originals that I can just drop back into my Data folder, and then bork it up again :wink: :laugh:

However, I will disagree with keeping them in your downloads folder, if you're downloading a Lot of mods, or you're DL'ing BIG mods. "Downloads" is a primary Operating System folder. Every time you open windows explorer, it gives a fast *cough* scan of your OS folders. You can put a burden on explorer, when it's trying to read across folders with very large files, and many, many files, inside the folders.

You DO want to get those files off desktop tho. Desktop is a glutton for system resources. The more stuff that you have on there, the more it will eat.

Edited by StormWolf01