Why do certain nifs crash Nifskope?

I have this mod:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3896

And I'm trying to open it's nif files in nifskope but everytime I try an error box appears noting a huge list of errors, the file loads to 27% and then Nifskope crashes with a runtime error.

I don't know why it happens but I need to access those nifs so I can change some of the settings (certain glossiness related settings cause a problem in my game that leads to a nasty black screen problem, I know how to fix it but I have to access the nif file causing it to do so).

This is the error at the start of the "huge list of errors":

""device position incorrect after block number 11 (BSShaderTextureSet) at 5926 ended at 6100 expected 6106""

Adding in a +1 on this request for help, I've noticed nifskope chokes on a LOT of models I've tried opening from various people and various mods. And today I went to open one of my own models (chinese stealth armour from anchorage which I know was working just fine yesterday) and it's apparently been corrupted by nifskope somehow and won't open, leading to a crash of the program as TheOutlander also describes. All of the models I've attempted to open have worked in-game fine, so the models appear fine too, it does rather seem to be nifskope somehow breaking them on open/save.

There are a bunch of different errors depending on the mesh being opened, including the one TheOutlander mentioned, ones about array sizes being far too big and others too. All of them end in the program choking.

Anyone else getting these problems?

• 1 year later...
Yeah, i'm getting this problem right now and trying to fix it. ANY .nif that I open with nifscope, if I save it with nifscope it is now broken. So nifscope is unusable. It's never worked for me and has always broken every nif i've opened. Any idea how to fix it or maybe an alternative program?

yes. pretty much every single one of those cases is a corrupt nif. most likey caused by it being 'modded'. Most modders are still only cutting and pasting to get working nifs. this has the disadvantage that evetually, strings index corrupts.

unless your nifskope is an old ver.,( or just f'd up somehow, or your pc farted the moment of writing the save) i do not believe it is nifskope itself.

it is often easy to just avoid this nonsense and just export clean nifs. cept on the rare occasion you have to copy stuff around.

some corrupt nifs will still open in nifskope. some get into mods. this increases the risk of random crashes in game.

well if it doesn't open in nifskope you are probably pretty screwed. Post up the nif itself and perhaps someone will dl it and verify that it will not open for them as well.

you could try importing it into blender. and exporting a clean nif.

if it absolutely had to be done, you might ask if there is a export to obj function for pyffi or something, and perhaps could get it out through that way. I hope its not rigged. :lol:

ideally you want access to the orginal files.