Steam unwanted free Dawnguard update...CTD

NodTuGud

Like it says, my computer updated and next thing i know NMM is showing dawnguard.esm in my plugin list. i go into the game and I'm told to go talk to someone at the old castle near Riften about the Dawnguard. I hit my map (because I never bought dawnguard) and there it is fort dawnguard. As soon as I head there - bam CTD. Now my games been running perfectly for over 5 months no problems no CTD and modded to the max. I have tried to uncheck dawnguard.esm in the plugin list, I've run BOSS and Tess to try to get it back to normal but no joy. Has anyone else ended up with this update and had this problem? Anyone have any idea how to fit it?

I'm running Steam (darn those tricky marketters who sell Steam Installers instead of game disks!) but bought the Dawnguard disk (same Steam install :sad: ) at the same time.

Dawnguard is in my list but I have it unchecked because I don't want to bother with Vampires right now. So far everything has run with no problems.

Have you tried to contact Steam about the problem? Perhaps the Dawnguard DLC didn't completely install on your computer.

Last week Steam screwed up on their own and did an update. By accident - this has already been announced - they inadvertently added Dawnguard to everyone's update. So the dawnguard.esm shows up in your plug-in list with NMM but on your Steam account it doesn't show as a DLC you own. Steam then caught the glitch and supposedly stopped the leak and fixed it. Some of us are still stuck with it..

why wouldnt you want a free dlc? :blink:

Because whatever Steam did putting the DLC into the mix crashes a highly modded game that's been stable for moths. And I'm not into the "twilight series".

These aren't Twilight vampires by any stretch of the imagination. And you are more than welcome to join the Dawnguard and get yourself a sweet stake launcher crossbow to kill them with.