Getting Fallout 3 working on Windows 7

darksoldier217

Hi everyone,

I've been trying everything I can to make the game work on my Windows 7 (64 bit) laptop, but nothing seems to work. I installed the game to a location where I don't need to run it as admin. I've downloaded the d3d9.dll (or something like that) file and placed it in the right place. I've used the unofficial Fallout 3 patch. I've gotten the official patch for the most recent version. I've run as admin. I've run in compatibility mode. I downloaded the most recent version of "Games for Windows Marketplace." I turned off (and back on) the Net3.0 (I think its called) Windows feature. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, but still, nothing works. No matter what, the game will load to the title screen, I'll select new game, and then the window will pop up that says "Fallout 3 has stopped working" and I have to Ctrl Alt Del out of there. All the posts I've seen online have only suggested the solutions I've listed here that I've already tried so I'm really at a loss as to what I'm supposed to try next. I even tried loading through Nexus and that didn't work either (I don't have any mods installed; I have some DLC, but the game doesn't work even when I take the DLC off so that isn't it either).

If anyone has anything that worked for them that isn't listed here, I'd really appreciate it :smile:

I have not downloaded the newest Direct X because I have no idea which one to install or where to find it, come to think of it.

Edited by darksoldier217

I installed the Direct X thing from Tangyboxhead. I will try it out now. I just have vanilla Fallout 3, I had to buy the DLC separately. It isn't Steam, it's disk based. I don't like not having disks. I have Skyrim running fine on my computer for months now, I'd think it's the same thing, but I guess not.

Edit - Just tried again, No changes. >.<

Edited by darksoldier217

See this post: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1465357-installing-fallout-3-with-windows-78-and-xp/

If you do everything properly as stated in the post, the only other thing that might be wrong would be inadequate equipment. The ability to run a new game like Skyrim does not mean you can run a GPU dependent game like Fallout 3. If you are trying to use the Intel Integrated HD Graphics, you cannot run the game without using a work around.

Edited by M48A5