One Nexus mod stuffed up my game

possumjrf50

I'm gutted and really annoyed! I decided to try a Nexus Mod- the Immersive Citizens Mod (my first mod) . It took me a while to navigate Nexus and download then find my way around Vortex. It glitched the first time so I tried again. It said it had failed but when I looked, the mod had been installed. I log on to my character - shock...horror; he's standing in the entrance to the Winking Skeever in his loin cloth because his enhanced armor has vanished . Go ahead and laugh-that's what I did until I realized the problem was more devastating than a near-naked Dragonborn. The house he'd built (Winstad) had vanished along with so much stored gear, ores, ingots, alchemy ingredients, potions and soul gems. Next, I find out that all his Dawnguard questline had vanished along with his crossbow and bolts. It's not on the map at all. Neither is High Hrothgar or Solstheim. So it looks like the Dragonborn, Dawnguard and Hearthfire data has been seriously screwed with. Is there anything I can do to try and recover all this missing gameplay and gear or do I have to suck it up and do it all over again?

Guest deleted34304850

i'm very sceptical about your story. but here's a thing - never - truly - never mod a game you're playing.

Thank you for the replies. I have disabled the mod, and will try to go back to an earlier save. Showler- I don't have other mods, this was my first try. And can I ask the numbered Resident Supporter why he/she is "sceptical" ? I've better things to do than make up stories for forums., especially when I paid for a Nexus Premium Membership and am now very leery of using any mods. I'm a 72 yr old female who has been gaming for years and believe me, I wish this was was a fairy tale, but it's not. Hours of levelling and much of the progress and accumulated ' wealth' are now gone. It looks like all the quests getting my character levelled are counted as done-for example he went to the Jarl of Morthal and there's no quests, nothing that might lead to obtaining the block of land for the now vanished home. Certainly, as a newbie with mods I may have screwed something up myself but the fact remains my game has been seriously affected.

In general, if Vortex says something failed to install...believe it. An awful lot goes on in the background during a mod install, especially with a system like Vortex uses.

Best to figure out what went wrong than to guess that it was okay after getting an error from the program.

There is a Vortex support forum here if you are having problems. And a guy called "Gopher" on Youtube has some excellent videos on using Vortex to install mods.

edit: The good news is that a bad mod install can't write information to your save game, so if you can restore the game and load a previous save everything should be back to normal.

YES!!! Showler, you're a star! In the end it was indeed as simple as finding an earlier save and loading it and everything was back to normal. Ok, I lost some completed quests and levelling gains but all that can be regained.

The most important thing is Winsted Manor and all the hard earned loot is back. Thanks so much. :D