Annoying lag. Using LOOT and Vortex together, can't find problem.

aldreier

FYI: I am unfamiliar with nexus, SkyrimSE for Windows 10, and using mods with Skyrim, but familiar with the mod-fiddling process from other games like Rimworld. I am working with LOOT, Vortex, and xEdit, though I am new to all three as well and still learning.

I have used xEdit to clean up all files, and have verified skyrim files in steam. I like heavily modding skyrim, because I played it to death years ago and am looking to reinvigorate it's appeal by fixing things that drive me nuts and adding stuff that vanilla should have had. I try to stick with vanilla mods wherever possible.

The game in general has a laggy studder that occurs every 2-5 seconds. It's not unplayable, but it's annoying AF.

In Rimworld, a genius mod called HugsLib allows for exporting of debug lists and mod lists. If you know of an easy way for me to do that to better help you help me please let me know. Thank you.

Edited by aldreier

"Lag" can have several issues: Loading times (maybe the result of lots of high res textures and high poly meshes), in game physics (like HDT-SMP), GPU "overload" (from ENB or high resolutions), general "wrong" or too demanding graphics settings, VSync issues, script lag (in fact rather rare) - to name just a few. Without further information it's impossible to tell, what is actually happening in your game.

As you said yourself, a load order would be helpful. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to get it from Vortex. What you can do:

Vortex always stores the current load order in .txt format in its AppData.

How to access it:

1. Make sure Windows Explorer is set to show hidden files.

2. Open your system drive (usually C:) in Windows Explorer.

3. Now navigate to /users/[your user name].

4. Open "AppData/Roaming/Vortex/Skyrimse/Profiles/[your current profile]. You should find a file named "loadorder.txt". That's what you're looking for.

EDIT: In addition to a load order, further information would be helpful: ENB preset used (if any), Computer specs, current average FPS in game, maybe screen resolution.

Don't know what ENB is, I'm bad with acronyms :sweat:.

1920x1080 res

Processor Intel® Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz 4.20 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H2
OS build 19044.1706

average fps- ~40-59 won't seem to get to 60.

# Automatically generated by Vortex
Skyrim.esm
ccBGSSSE037-Curios.esl
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
Campfire.esm
SkyUI_SE.esp
SoundsofSkyrimComplete.esp
RAID Weathers.esp
Realistic AI Detection 3 - Lite.esp
Ambiance - Light Colors.esp
Ambiance.esp
Skyrim Alchemy Fixed.esp
IcePenguinWorldMap.esp
Campfire collectable wood.esp
Survival Mode Patches - Campfire.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
MCMHelper.esp
barenziahquestmarkers.esp
cloaks&capes.esp
Thieves Guild Master Recognition.esp
Subtle but Classless.esp
MLU.esp
Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp
immersive citizens - ai overhaul.esp
CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive.esp
SoS_ImmersiveCitizens_Patch.esp
ICOW Unofficial Patch.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
CWIOrdinatorPatchSSE.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp

Instructions were very clear, thank you so much for your time!

:thumbsup:

EDIT: And my directory is in E:\ drive, if that helps,

E:\Vortex Mods\skyrimse... and E:\SteamLibrary...etc.

2nd EDIT: I've had this game for a week now and I haven't even gotten to play yet because of my OCD-strength obsession with this, lol!

Edited by aldreier

Don't need loot if you are using Vortex.

I try not to leave them running in the background when I play as well.

Your antivirus may be causing some issues, which one ya runnin'?

Background programs from windows can be an issue as well. Some of the 'antimalware' apps, like to update WAY to frequently.....

1. Loot "cleans" mods, I didn't see how to do that in Vortex, and I use the vortex dnld button on Nexus instead of manual because using Vortex...seemed simpler? maybe it's not. Please advise.

2. I did not know about not leaving them running in the background. I will stop doing that.

3. I run Windows Defender because I'm generally satisfied with my level of internet safety knowledge and I'm sick of freeware ads and paying for antivirus. If I'm being stupid please let me know. Before this I was running Spybot paid version.