Unofficial Patch crashes my game...

nafeasonto

What's causing it is the Weaponscripts repeating themselves in the Papyrus log, (which is spamming the game internally with this data.) I posted this several times on this forum, and no one could help. There is a hot fix found here: http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/files/file/817-weaponrackactivatescript-hotfix-for-uskp-133c/

After redoing an entire installation and fresh save from my original post, it started spamming the papyrus log AGAIN with this script.

Finally this hotfix, stopped that. I searched this weapon script problem over and over again on google could not find a link to this hot fix. How I found this was finally disabling the unoffical patch, which caused me to go on under the Posts of the unofficial patch and see someone posted the same issue. He was then linked to this hot fix. Note: With the unofficial patch ON this happens, with it off it doesn't.

It is NOT IN the description part of the page! This SHOULD BE.

So YES in a way there is an issue with this patch and that weapon scripting issue. This is what was getting my Papyrus log in a matter of seconds to 10 Megabytes:

10/11/2013 - 03:25:10PM] warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp24" stack: [ (490239FA)].WeaponRackActivateScript.PlaceItem() - "WeaponRackActivateScript.psc" Line 268 [ (490239FA)].WeaponRackActivateScript.HandlePlayerItem() - "WeaponRackActivateScript.psc" Line 329 [ (490239FA)].WeaponRackActivateScript.RunPlayerActivation() - "WeaponRackActivateScript.psc" Line 188 [ (490239FA)].WeaponRackActivateScript.OnActivate() - "WeaponRackActivateScript.psc" Line 84 [10/11/2013 -

This was also causing my framerates to drop because of the massive script spam in the game. Hence my framerate drop, and then increase when disabling the patch. Either some of you are not noticing it, or you don' have the latest version of Skyrim. Seriously activate your Papyrus logs, make sure you don't have the hotfix, and are running 1.3.3C of the Patch. if you do then that's why you are not getting this issue. If you don't, look at your log see if that script is constantly repeating itself.

I posted this several times everywhere, and no one caught this, or identify this. I can guarantee you this HALF of the problems on why people are crashing.

I posted this several times everywhere

everywhere is no good my point is you should have Asked USkP team for help the link to their own support site is on Bethesda Forum page and proberbly Nexus too

and guess what The AFK Mods website where you found the Hotfix just happens to be the USkP's own support site so if you had gone there to start with they would have helped out sooner

Plus that paticular problem The Weopons Rack Problem is a known rare vanilla Skyrim issue that was fixed partially by UkSP Team

and one dedicated user has found a better way of fixing it the hotfix which will be part of the beta I advised you to try

It is NOT IN the description part of the page! This SHOULD BE.

to quote someone else You Cannot be Serious do you seriously think they could even list all the bugs they fix on Nexus Description Page nevermind go into detail about what is not fixed by them to fix an error they need reliable repeatable evidence one exists before they even start

Againb It is a Rare problem most users will never see the Hotfix sorts it for you, they have helped you

So whats the Problem very few get this issue we are using latest version we have all updates we dont have this issue get over it

You owe them an abject apology for your unjustifiable actions in making this topic

and change Title of page if you can't get Moderators to do it

The Unnoficial Patches fix thousands of issues in Skyrim and sometimes they do make a mistake but unlike Bethesda they will fix their own mistakes when they are properly reported

Seriously Folks Do use the Unofficial Patches

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you have a corrupted rarely used windows DLL

USkP alone of all Skyrim Mods uses that DLL

game crahes randomly whenever DLL is called

It is bad science and you should do it the right way if you really want to fix it

That is interesting.

Which "rarely used windows dll" is used exclusively by USKP and USKP alone? If you posted that, maybe he could update that dll and fix his problems?

Since we are being scientific here. :mad:

Or was that just a random, unscientific example of an invented scenario?

At the moment, he seems convinced that Papyrus log spamming with that infernal weapons rack script is causing the issue. They have been messing with that for absolutely ages. It does not affect me as I don't even care about weapon racks and don't do much with The Companions, but I did hold off on updating for a while until they thought they'd fixed it. Sadly, it's still an issue by all accounts.

And don't forget, as good as the unofficial patches are, different versions of USKP have introduced bugs and glitches of their own. They always squash them for the next update but they rarely, if ever, admit to them.

A 10 MB Papyrus log within minutes cannot be a good thing. But it seems that the conventional wisdom states that whatever causes a crash does not even get onto the Papyrus log.

In fact, nafeasonto, turning OFF papyrus logging might help.

And resetting all ini tweaks to Vanilla.

~.~

Lol. Well, if it works for you, do it. I guess I'm in the minority, Skyrim has CTD'd on me twice (on two different computers, one with XP, one with Win 7) in the last few months and I've always used the UOP's. I only have 78 mods installed right now, maybe that's why.

Early in the official patch history, I could barely keep Skyrim running; CTD's and freezes, mainly. Now, its as stable as any other game I have.

My friends, hardcore gamers all, still have problems. They have OC'd machines, tweaked BIOS settings, tweaked registy entries, tweaked ini files, tweaked mod sort lists, pre/post processing injected DLL effects, 3rd party driver enhancements, custom CK mod tweaks, TES5Edited mods (some DON'T need cleaning), 3rd party optimized textures and meshes, and any number of other things. They crash ALL THE TIME.

My stock machine runs a 78 mod, moderately HD enhanced, moderate gameplay and interface enhanced, SKSE, ENB Skyrim on Ultra settings with zero problems. (Well, honestly, my new AMD GPU seems to give some random texture flashing. Probably from maxed vram, see below) The only time I lose Skyrim now is when I click EXIT.

My sole intent here is to get people to consider SYSTEM changes, as oppossed to GAME changes, as a potential cause of problems. A game engine is a complex piece of programming and interacts with, and is sensitive to, every piece of hardware on your machine. Audio device settings, of all things, can crash Skyrim on certain machines. If you've tried EVERYTHING, and the game still crashes, you just haven't really tried everything. There's a LOT more than just game files and graphic drivers which can cause problems. If you feel like you are beating your head against the wall with Skyrim, maybe you are. There are any number of forum threads which complain about "unsolvable, I tried everything" problems with Skyrim. That's a good hint in itself; its probably not Skyrim.

I'm not a Zenimax fanboi, I truly HATED the bugged Skyrim they released. But, as far as I can tell, its pretty much fixed now, as much as an older 32-bit app can be fixed in the current world of 64-bit OS's. Is there a 3.1GB bug? Seems so, but we know how to get around it. Is there a vram bug? People say there is, but I don't belive it because its not really a "problem" for a video card to max out vram. I mean, you WANT your hardware to be utilized. My 2GB card runs with vram maxed out constantly. No problemo. Does Skyrim have idiosyncrasies? Yes. Deal with it. Any more fixes to Skyrim will come at the cost of new game development. Not going to happen with a new generation of consoles ready to devour new game software.

Step back, put your machine back in "stock" mode, run sfc /scannow, run dxdiag, LOOK at your system logs, limit your background tasks and services, ignore Skyrim in your Anti-Virus program, test with Steam in Offline mode, and run the Heaven Benchmark if you want to see just how weak your system honestly is.

Edited by Lord Garon

I'm reluctant to try this out, as I love the USKP patches as much as the next guy.

I am currently having seemingly random crashes that are not reproducible in their cause; they can occur as frequently as every 15 minutes or as rarely as every 3 hours, and usually in outdoor areas - when entering new cells, or when using a tanning rack, or when just walking around. Papyrus logs are clear and my mods are fairly rigorously tested for compatibility - and the non-reproducible and non-specific nature of the crashes would seem to suggest it's not a particular mod conflict.

I at first thought it was my game's memory usage - but no, since optimising all my textures, using the new ENB presets with ENBoost built in and optimising all areas for memory, my Skyrim rarely exceeds 2.5GB of RAM usage at any time, even the wildest outdoor areas. My recent thoughts were therefore VRAM - despite having all my textures optimised and reduced to no more than 2k, the VRAM seems to run maxed out at 2GB (GTX 760 2GB) at all times, and sometimes outdoor saves go to infinite loading screens. Every single texture I have running is heavily optimised; I have a relatively mild ENB preset running (with the ENB memory optimisations on) and my anisotropic filtering has been turned down to try and conserve VRAM, but for whatever reason it runs maxed out at 2GB VRAM in all outdoor areas.

And so things like this become tempting... The USKP team is generally excellent, but could there be a chance that one or some of their patches can cause random minor crashes?

*Install a bunch of mods and ENB*

*Experience random CTDs*

*Attributes them only to the USKP*

Logic, this does not make.

As a public service announcement, enabling/disabling plugins is what you do when you are troubleshooting -reproducible- CTDs. It is virtually useless as a method for troubleshooting random CTDs with no discernible patterns.

Edited by ripple

And so things like this become tempting... The USKP team is generally excellent, but could there be a chance that one or some of their patches can cause random minor crashes?

Of course there is a chance. There's a chance for any mod to crash Skyrim. And there's a chance for a certain combination of mods to crash Skyrim. The UOP's are popular and most users do not have the OP's issue with them. I don't. I have almost no CTD's or freezes anymore and I have all the UOPs installed; my game is (knock on wood) as stable as any other now.

The question is why it affects the OP the way it does and not everyone else. The OP should post his experience on the AFK website, they may have more insight on the issue. There is something about the OP's total system setup that causes this particular problem and allows this particular solution. A system setting, a particular brand of hardware, a certain driver version, a disk error. Something is interacting which causes him a problem but does not affect most users of the patch. Of course, enabling Papyrus logging and generating megabytes of log files during gameplay is causing issues of its own.

Its painfully obvious (just scan these forums) that Zenimax optimized error checking right out of TESV; Skyrim almost never reports an error upon crashing. A CTD, by definition, is especially hard to diagnose because no errors or exceptions are caught. I would be pissed at Zenimax, not the people who are actually trying to fix their broken software.

What to do? Well, I'm gonna enable logging and see if I get the same log spam on 1.3.3c of the patch. I'll post back. It might help if others did the same. Maybe we can find a common system attribute on those systems experiencing CTD's, or on those NOT having CTD's.

Edited by Lord Garon

Quick check results:

I have, among others, Dawnguard, Dragonborn, HearthFires, SkyUI and Quality World Map, but not Alternative Life

Skyrim 1.9.32.0

USKP 1.3.3c

SKSE 0.1.6.16

SkyUI 4.1

Quality World Map 4929

From a clean "restart" save in Helgen cave, just before exiting to Skyrim... No weapon rack (WR) entries in logfile. In Riverwood (Alvor's weapon racks were a known problem)... No WR entries. To Whiterun, then exit... No WR entries.

From current save (about 50hrs in) in Whiterun, then exit... No WR entries.

Maybe SKSE fixes something: started with skyrim_loader.exe, clean save, current save, in and out of Whiterun... No WR entries in logfile.

Recommendation to OP... dump Alternative Life and try again.

you have a corrupted rarely used windows DLL

USkP alone of all Skyrim Mods uses that DLL

game crahes randomly whenever DLL is called

It is bad science and you should do it the right way if you really want to fix it

f

That is interesting.

Which "rarely used windows dll" is used exclusively by USKP and USKP alone? If you posted that, maybe he could update that dll and fix his problems?

Since we are being scientific here. :mad:

Or was that just a random, unscientific example of an invented scenario?

I should have made it clear I was providing a simple example of how the cause of a problem can be other than appears not making a scientific assessment which was not possible using original post.

I thought it was obvious.

However I assume as you were writing your post the OP made a new post where he admits he recreated the fault on his new install of Skyrim by loading an old save from the corrupted install

not a new start

He then admits that his issue has already been fixed by USkP Team

Then he assumes wrongly that everybody must have the same issue and if they don't they must be using old versions

All put together make his title for this thread wrong and unjustified

Which as later posts show can mislead others with his very bad advice

The only way you can actually reliably test the USKP is to do the following:

Absolutely clean install

Run SkyrimLauncher and set reasonable settings for your hardware

Play the game

That's it, because that's what USKP and it's associated DLC Patches are patched against.

This means:

No SKSE (or other background running programs)

No Customizing of the .INI files

No other mods of any kind

No using previous saves of any kind, even if you think they are "clean"

Nothing, just you, Skyrim goodness and the patch. Then an only then can you actually try to isolate the issue. Disable the patch when you find one and try to recreate it without the patch. Any other way is introducting far, far too many variables into the equation - even variables we have a pre-conceived notion (bad thing) that shouldn't be affecting the test.

Edited by fraquar

I should have made it clear I was providing a simple example of how the cause of a problem can be other than appears not making a scientific assessment which was not possible using original post.

I thought it was obvious.

Ah. So you have done exactly the same thing by inventing a rarely used dll that is used by USKP alone? Not a good example.

But the OP's problem IS a known issue as they have issued a fix for it.

So the issue WAS being caused by USKP.

But, as the OP says, this hot fix should be highlighted in the description and at the top of the sticky in the forum thread, not hidden away on a minority use web site. I am a member of AFK Mods, by the way, and I did not know about the Hot Fix.

The people involved in USKP have never been slow in coming forward about the sheer volume of fixes they have made and have links to them every where.

They are far less prone to acknowledge any problem they have caused and quietly fix things in a more stealthy, back door manner without bringing attention to it.

~.~