16 things you didn't know about sleep

kvnchrist

Interesting read. Thanks for posting. Number two I've defied all my life by only sleeping 5-6 hours a night except when sick, then I can sleep 7-10 hours.

Yeah, the 10% that is left over is probably the coolest bit, or the suckiest bit.

It's also pretty cool how blind people can see in dreams. I suppose that would be for someone who used to have vision but then lost it? It says "blind people can still see images in dreams" so I guess so.

Someone who had been blind their whole life probably wouldn't be able to see images... well, I dunno! It's so mysterious.

I learned some quite interesting things about dreams particularly a while back...

1.): Dream worlds are finite. They are actually a predefined space that has a tangible end where matter and energy no longer generate, leaving everything past that in all directions an empty void. In this respect, it is like any part of a video game.

2.): Dreams do NOT like when you disregard the path they show you. A game that exemplifies this sort of principle is The Stanley Parable, which perfectly demonstrates how little choice people can sometimes have. A dream will give significant incentive to stay on path, will abuse post-hypnotic suggestion extensively, will try to convince you that you are insane, and will even restructure itself if you wander too far.

3.): Dreams have set paths, like the aforementioned Stanley Parable. If you do not accept the natural flow of the dream, the dream will do its best to rewrite the script on the fly in order to keep you away from the edge of the dream world. Coupled with the prior facts, it is VERY difficult to reach the border of the dream world.

4.) Dreams are built using the contents of the mind at the moment of the dream's initiation. It will comb through the mind for whatever it can lump together as building blocks, and using the material given, it will attempt to write as coherent as possible of a plot in order to keep you occupied. If there are particularly potent areas of your brain, odd effects can occur (I sometimes see future events in dreams, for example).

5.): The entire point of a dream is solely to give you something to occupy you so you do not realize that you are sleeping. The moment you cognizantly know that you are sleeping, dream and sleep alike will terminate. So dreams employ a fairly large arsenal of psychological warfare in order to convince you that these events are actually occuring.

Edited by KakeiTheWolf

Kakei, number 5 is false to an extent. If it were true then lucid dreaming wouldn't exist.

Number 5 was written under the assumption that a person doesn't "lucidly dream".

It's not easy to relate to. I naturally have complete control in dreams, so my dreams employ a little extra measure to ensure I am convinced it is real life. It's the norm to "lucidly dream" in people like me (implying number 5 being the norm for that person), and it is the normal for neurotypical dreamers to not experience such (in which number 5 is false).

Also, you pointing out the flaw made me see a typo. Thanks.